The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. [​IMG]
    ER - Nils Petter Molvaer (Sula/EmArcy) CD

Released 2005

Spacey/Ambient Jazz with a good sprinkling of Dub.

2. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Haven't spun this one in years, the first side is such a classic. There is a reason half these songs are in the first edition of the Jazz Real Book chart book.

Was Playing: Ralph Towner, Gary Burton - Matchbook

[​IMG]

3. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Pepper Adams Quintet: 10 To 4 At The 5 Spot

Pepper Adams – baritone saxophone
    Donald Byrd – trumpet (tracks 1 & 3–5)
    Bobby Timmons – piano
    Doug Watkins – bass
    Elvin Jones – drums

Recorded April 15, 1958 (60 years ago as of yesterday, a wonderful 'Jazz Coincidence') at the famed Five Spot Cafe in the Bowery. A bit of a sleeper as far as classic live albums of the era are concerned, not sure I've seen it played much around these parts and it was a somewhat recent discovery for me as well after hearing a track played on a local terrestrial radio station. Stopped me cold and I immediately ordered this up to get the entire performance (at least as it was originally released) and it's a wonderful set by a hot ensemble fronted by the classic Adams/Byrd team. My only wish is that there were some additional bonus tracks added to the original album which clocks in at a slimmish 39'. Certainly leaves you wanting more. Features a duo of 10'+ workouts on "The Long Two/Four" and "Hastings Street Bounce". If you need more Baritone in your life (and who doesn't?) this is a great addition.

Note too that this came through recently as a real OJC CD, no CD-R, so get it while you can.

[​IMG]

Here's the track that knocked me out, a beautiful yet elegiac ballad from the pen of Donald Byrd:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  4. AxiomAcoustics

Why so?

[​IMG]

rxcory, mktracy and MagicAlex like this.
  5. AxiomAcoustics

Thanx for reminding me about the PP release, got buried in my wish list. Don;t have the Mosaic so cannot comment although I'd imagine so as PP does a good job generaly of mastering and sources from tape.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  6. AxiomAcoustics

You're really missing out on that Larry Young ORTF set IMO, and it ain't no Soul Jazz, unless you mean that it's good for one's soul. Then it is indeed "Soul Jazz" :D

7. AxiomAcoustics

Alice Coltrane relates a story where she was at a Saturday night gig with John where they played and stretched tunes so long that dawn was breaking when they emerged from the club and Alice got nervous because she had to get to church. Her girfriend replied: "Honey, you've just been to church!". Nothing wrong when a Jazz musician "takes you to church". :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  8. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

This one has been on my wish list for far too long...

J.A.W. likes this.
  9. AxiomAcoustics

Preceded by the Miles and Trane tour at the same venue in March, as documented on the excellent new 'Boot' release.

10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I wasn't talking about Larry Young, I was specifically referring to John Patton and all the other soul-jazz organists. I have one Young Blue Note CD, Unity, and I've heard much of his Mosaic. I'm still not thrilled (I really can't stand the organ sound), but I like his stuff much better than that dreaded soul jazz-with-organ.

11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

A really excellent album.

12. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Hank Mobley, Al Cohn, John Coltrane, Zoot Sims - Tenor Conclave

[​IMG]

13. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2 Byrds this morning - Royal Flush & Byrd In Hand

Byrd & Pepper are the common elements here. Flush ('61) has the rhythm section of Hancock, Warren & Higgins, while Hand ('59) has WD Jr, Sam Jones & Art Taylor with the added seasoning of Charlie Rouse on tenor. Hancock was 21 y/o when he recorded with Byrd on the Flush date, Butch Warren was 22. At 28, Byrd was a seasoned veteran compared to those two. Remarkable.

14. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Oooh.. I am going to try and track that one down. Thanks.

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  15. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Jack Bruce - Things We Like
    Polydor (1968)
    POCP 2166

Double Bass – Jack Bruce
    Soprano Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone – Dick Heckstall-Smith
    Drums – Jon Hiseman
    Guitar – John McLaughlin

[​IMG]

16. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Hmm, Jack Bruce and John McLaughlin, eh? That sounds like an interesting combination!

MagicAlex likes this.
  17. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Man, I just have to chime in to say you are playing some really cool stuff!

MagicAlex, fatwad666 and ohnothimagen like this.
  18. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

[​IMG]

Ken Laster's In the Groove...Jazz & Beyond podcast

In the Groove, Jazz and Beyond

I've been listening to a few of Ken Laster's podcast episodes lately. Most recently on this morning's dog walk I played his show from 2/18 featuring Trane & Miles covers, and before that was the show from 4/8, "Tenor Titans." And just now started the one where he interviews guitarist Dan Liparini. I love how he mixes in classics with contemporary tracks. I've been impressed with the Noah Baerman songs he's included in some of these shows and will be picking up some of his releases. New artist for me, which is another reason why I like these podcasts.

Tlay likes this.
  19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Just got this e-mail from Mosaic:

Last Chance!

The Complete Bee Hive Sessions
    Final Pressing - Advance Order Request

In this time and place, the Mosaic business model is becoming harder and harder to sustain in this rapidly changing world. We aren't sure what the future will hold for us, but we want to let all of you know how much we appreciate that your support has allowed us to constantly make our dreams come true with set after set and that we intend to persevere. The way we operate may change but our mandate remains steadfast.

We've always been diligent about warning you when sets were running low so you wouldn't miss out on titles that you wanted. But at this point, some sets which are temporarily out of stock may not be pressed again. We want to keep every set active as long as possible, but sometimes, we have to reach out to you to determine demand before investing precious resources in another pressing.

A case in point is The Complete Bee Hive Sessions (MD12-161), a marvelous collection of superb hard bop albums recorded between 1977 and 1984 with artist like Curtis Fuller, Clifford Jordan, Sal Nistico, Dizzy Reece, Nick Brignola Junior Mance and Johnny Hartman among others.

We are currently out of stock and cannot afford to repress the set without a substantial number of advance orders for it. If you've been considering this collection and not yet obtained it, now would be the time to step up in order to secure one.

If you place an advance order for this set, we can determine if another pressing is possible. Your credit card will not be charged until we repress the set and ship it to you (however paypal is immediately deducted from your funds). We regret any pressure or inconvenience this may cause you in your purchasing decisions, but this is the only way that we can safely proceed.

Thank you for your support and understanding,
    Michael and Scott

MagicAlex likes this.
  20. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Steamin' with the Miles Davis Quintet

[​IMG]

21. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Love that one, easily my favourite of the Workin'/Steamin'/Cookin'/Relaxin' combo. "Salt Peanuts":righton:

I've got a Steamin'/Workin' twofer that clearly came out in the seventies. Given the music inside, the mid-70's era pic of Miles on the cover just looks sorta, well, wrong:laugh::
    [​IMG]

btf1980, Cactus Bob, Berthold and 7 others like this.
  22. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Thanks! I think I have recently overdone it lately with my investment in Japan Post...;)

Here's a nice one that arrived today. Really enjoying the 70's vibe and organ style. There's even a cover of a (should I say it?) Beatles song; Fool on the Hill.

George Otsuka Quintet - Sea Breeze
    Think Records (1971)
    THCD-330

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  23. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

One more for the night shift...back to Blue Note grooves! With Blue Mitchell no less....

Lou Donaldson - Say it Loud!
    Blue Note (1969)
    UCCQ-9341

Saxophone – Lou Donaldson
    Trumpet – Blue Mitchell
    Organ – Charles Earland
    Guitar – Jimmy Ponder
    Drums – Leo Morris

[​IMG]

btf1980, Cactus Bob, mktracy and 3 others like this.
  24. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Love that one!

25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now, this great Thelonious Monk solo album (JVC XRCD, mastered by Alan Yoshida) - well, at least most of it is solo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]