The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Miles Davis - The Complete Blackhawk Sessions

Recorded live at The Blackhawk, April 21 & 22, 1961

2003 Mosaic Records MQ6-220 box set, remixed from the original 3-track masters by Mark Wilder and mastered by Kevin Hodge

[​IMG]

2. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Nice catch! This is one title that I have yet to get a copy. Have you any digital recommendations?

3. rxcory

mktracy and MagicAlex like this.
  4. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Filling my night work with a little Lee Morgan love tonight. First a few choice cuts from the Lighthouse followed by Sonic Boom.

Lee Morgan - Live at the Lighthouse
    Blue Note (1971)
    CDP 7243 8 35228 2 8

Trumpet, Flugelhorn – Lee Morgan
    Flute, Bass Clarinet, Tenor Saxophone – Bennie Maupin
    Piano – Harold Mabern
    Bass – Jymie Merritt
    Drums – Jack DeJohnette, Mickey Roker

[​IMG]

Lee Morgan - Sonic Boom
    Blue Note (1967)
    TOCJ-50271

Trumpet – Lee Morgan
    Saxophone – David Newman*
    Piano – Cedar Walton
    Bass – Ron Carter
    Drums – Billy Higgins

[​IMG]

btf1980, Cactus Bob, jay.dee and 6 others like this.
  5. rxcory

Makes me wanna watch I Called Him Morgan again :agree:

MagicAlex likes this.
  6. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Man, I forgot about that film, haven't seen it yet! The search is on for a streaming service...

7. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Got the Impex reissue of the original album last week and fell in love with it the minute I heard it!

rxcory and MagicAlex like this.
  8. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I was listening to Morgan's Live At the Lighthouse yesterday. I've got it on download with all of the added tracks. One can really get lost in that music. Maupin's Yunjanna is a beautiful song.

Cactus Bob, MagicAlex and rxcory like this.
  9. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Max Roach/ Buddy Rich - Rich Versus Roach
    From The Complete Mercury Max Roach Plus Four Sessions Disc V Session (L)
    Max Roach Five: Max Roach, drums; Stanley Turrentine, tenor sax; Tommy Turrentine, trumpet;
    Julian Priester, trombone; Bob Boswell, bass.
    Buddy Rich Five: Buddy Rich, drums; Willie Dennis, trombone; Phil Woods, alto sax;
    John Bunch, trumpet; Phil Leshin, bass.

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Bobby Buckshot

I picked up this Mosaic set as a partial and love all of it - except this one. Did you enjoy it? Maybe it's just me but the drum battles took something away from the tunes. There's also the fact that Rich is more of a battler than Roach b/c he's much more of a showman, whereas Roach's mastery is when he's with a band.

fingerpoppin likes this.
  11. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Holy Barbarian St. Louis 1959 - Grant Green (Uptown) CD

I've been looking forward to hearing this one since it was first issued in 2012 so it was good to find it turning up at a discounted price online. The music grooves along nicely, as you would expect, and I like the way the live-in-the-club vibe has been captured on the recording.

12. Bobby Buckshot

Wow - I'm still a bit of a jazz nube and totally wouldn't expect to see Green playing that type of electric guitar in '59. Was that something he did regularly and how does it sound? I'm of the impression he played a hollow body type on most of his BN recordings...is that right?

13. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

This is the second time in three years that I've listened to it and I've enjoyed it both times. On both occasions I played it on my
    ipod while taking a long walk and for some reason that seems to add to my appreciation of the drum solos, that said it may be at least another three years before I return to it.

macdaddysinfo and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  14. Bobby Buckshot

Nice - I also tend to listen to a lot of music on my morning walks via iPod. I used to have a rather harsh assessment of Buddy Rich for whatever reason. Sure he was opinionated and tough to work for, but watching his interviews online changed my mind. He always credits guys like Philly Joe, Lester Young, etc. whenever he can, actively telling his audience to seek those records out and listen to them, or go and watch those guys play if they were around. The way he lifted up those that inspired him got all of my respect.

macdaddysinfo and fingerpoppin like this.
  15. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Surprisingly, I've read that Strats were quite popular in their early days amongst guitarists in Organ groups. Grant Green must have only used this for a brief time in St Louis perhaps? When he got to New York about two years later, he had a Gibson 335 and then full hollowbody's all the way. The tone on the Holy Barbarian sounds just like Grant Green with or without the Strat I think. All great players sound like themselves on anything from my listening experience over the years. I've seen a clip of George Benson playing a Start and he sounds just like George Benson :)

16. rxcory

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Miles Davis - Porgy & Bess (1958)

original '58 mono Columbia CL 1274 (6-eye labels, 2C/2C stampers)

Of all his 50's Columbia albums, Miles Ahead and this one have been the hardest for me to really fall in love with. Funny, because the other Gil Evans collaboration, Sketches of Spain, is one of my favorites. This could only mean one thing: I just need to play them more :agree:

[​IMG]

17. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

My wife is just the opposite & loves anything with a Hammond, maybe even a little more than me.

rxcory likes this.
  18. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

Great picture of a man who is enjoying his work!

rxcory likes this.
  19. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

My wife owns a Hammond organ. I forget the model but I remember that it’s their least popular, one of their first solid state organ. It was the cheapest organ she could find when she bought it in the 70s.

vanhooserd and jay.dee like this.
  20. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Enjoying the extended groove of 'Betcha By Golly Wow'. Grant's soloing just makes me wanna smile...

Grant Green - Live at the Lighthouse
    Blue Note (1972)
    TOCJ-50503

Guitar – Grant Green
    Organ – Shelton Laster
    Tenor Saxophone, Soprano Saxophone – Claude Bartee
    Vibraphone – Gary ColemanBass – Wilton Felder
    Congas, Percussion – Bobbye Hall
    Drums – Greg Williams

[​IMG]

21. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

If you might be interested in a crooner album you might want to give a listen to the new Walter Wolfman Washington album My Future Is My Past. It is a change of pace album from this New Orleans bluesman. Subtle and smooth it is a very pleasant early morning or late evening listen.

22. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Been listening to the new Elaine Elias set slot this week-quite enjoyable...

Change of pace now, as I am listening to yo miles! Upriver. I love this ensemble, and this double sacd doesn’t disappoint. I believe it was recorded at the same time as sky garden, which is a great double sacd, as well...

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  23. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Aaron Parks - Find the Way.
    Stunningly beautiful music.

24. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD CTI "CTI Supreme Collection" King Records Japan KICJ 2315 Blu-spec) 2013 .... recorded November 1971 @ Van Gelder Studios .... Joe Farrell (ts, ss, fl) + Chick Corea (el-p) + Buster Williams (b) + Elvin Jones (dr) .... the strongest CTI Joe Farrell date hands down - and the interaction beetween Buster Wiliams and Elvin Jones (just listen to "Sound Down") is textbook .... very nice sounding japanese Blu-spec release from 2013 ....

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  25. I like the The Holy Barbarian front sleeve but cannot say for certain if the image is all that it may seem. Although Grant Green gets named as the headline act/main man that is slightly misleading as this is not a Grant Green led session. The other members of the band are in the spotlight just as much, and at times a lot more than Grant Green.

Can't comment on the guitar on the front sleeve and know little about guitars in general but Grant Green's playing on this recording sounds very similar to the sound I am familiar with from all those Blue Note albums.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.