The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Great room, great memories. Jerome Cooper's Unpredictability of Predictability was recorded there, Ronald Shannon Jackson's Eye on You was rehearsed there. Bless you, Verna Gillis.

MagicAlex likes this.
  2. [​IMG]

Jazz Lab - Gigi Gryce | Donald Byrd (Jubilee) HM-CD
    with
    Gigi Gryce (alto sax), Donald Byrd (trumpet), Paul Chambers (bass), Hank Jones (piano), Art Taylor (drums)

Recorded 1957 / Jubilee LP released 1958

HM-CD edition issued as part of Parlophone/Warner Music Jazz Masters Collection 1200 series

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

That's a Japanese reissue, Warner/Jubilee WPCR-29064. Great music but a horrible mastering, too loud and harsh. It's on my sale pile.

4. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Agreed about Verna, it would be a wonderful tribute if someone were to put together a boxed set of the Lyrichord albums she produced. I believe most of them were never reissued beyond their original cassette or LP releases. Or the Folkways material. She was a real friend to Roswell Rudd, RIP. Pity Soundscapes lasted such a short time. I wish I'd picked up the DIW set.

5. AxiomAcoustics

How's this for a connect the thread exercise? Lacy, along with Denis Charles played at Newport in 1957 with Cecil (RIP) where Gigi and Donald played with their Jazz Lab, recorded almost exactly one month before the Jazz Lab Jubilee release.

The Gigi Gryce-Donald Byrd Jazz Laboratory & The Cecil Taylor Quartet: At Newport '57

Cecil Taylor - piano (tracks 1-3)
    Steve Lacy - soprano saxophone (tracks 1-3)
    Buell Neidlinger - bass (tracks 1-3)
    Denis Charles - drums (tracks 1-3)
    Gigi Gryce - alto saxophone (tracks 4-6)
    Donald Byrd - trumpet (tracks 4-6)
    Hank Jones - piano (tracks 4-6)
    Wendell Marshall - bass (tracks 4-6)
    Osie Johnson - drums (tracks 4-6)

"Since this is a Jazz festival we're going to do something in the form, not the long form....." and a Bill tune by Cecil too. An odd pairing on the surface but the transition and pairing works amazingly well. Good sound, beautiful packaging, and Cecil gets his Monk on. It was a very good year.

[​IMG]

6. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Lee Morgan - Charisma
    Blue Note (1966)
    TOCJ-4312

Trumpet – Lee Morgan
    Tenor Saxophone – Hank Mobley
    Alto Saxophone – Jackie McLean
    Piano – Cedar Walton
    Bass – Paul Chambers
    Drums – Billy Higgins

[​IMG]

7. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Bud Powell - Bud!

[​IMG]

8. AxiomAcoustics

Joe Henderson: Page One

Kenny Dorham – trumpet
    Joe Henderson – tenor saxophone
    McCoy Tyner (aka Etc.) – piano
    Butch Warren – bass
    Pete La Roca – drums

Recorded at Rudy's on June 3 1963, coming up on a 55th anniversary and sounding just as contemporary today. It may be ubiquitous but there's a reason for that and I keep trying to not avoid these classics "just because". I was also in need of some Pete LaRoca. This fine album kicks off with Kenny Dorham's sublime "Blue Bossa" where, after a unison melody/head statement Kenny starts off his solo with an incredible flutter-tongued whisper. The AP SACD sounds amazing, only bested by the MM LP, but no time for flippage right now. Too bad there wasn't a "Page Two".

[​IMG]

Kickin' back with axe.....and one seriously natty jacket:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  9. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

John Patton
    - Accent on the Blues

CD reissue, Blue Note Rare Groove Series. Absolute burner. Appreciating the drumming on this by Leroy Williams — otherwise unfamiliar with his work.

10. AxiomAcoustics

Eric Dolphy: The Illinois Concert

Eric Dolphy – flute, bass clarinet, alto saxophone
    Eddie Khan – bass
    Herbie Hancock – piano
    J.C. Moses – drums

Recorded March 10, 1963 at the University of Illinois Champaign, the lineup speaks for itself and does not disappoint. Seventy minutes of unmitigated audacity including a 20' "Softly As In...." and 9' of Eric solo on Bass Clarinet :love: on "God Bless The Child" is heart-stopping. His sound always transcends the acoustic space in which he's playing. IOW: He knows how to sound good in all situations. A rare quality. J.C. Moses is another underrated drummer of massive talent and influence and kicks off a bouncing "South Street Exit" that slays. Serious.

[​IMG]

Careful:

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  11. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

I thought the Speakers Corner was good until I heard an original 2-eye, which blew it out of the water. If you ever find a clean one for a good price I highly recommend it. Mono or stereo, they both sound great.

DrJ likes this.
  12. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Herbie Hancock - The Herbie Hancock Trio
    Columbia (1977)
    SRCS 7051

Piano – Herbie Hancock
    Bass – Ron Carter
    Drums – Tony Williams

[​IMG]

13. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Paul Desmond— Music From theHot Afternoon

Great Brazilian music with Don Sebesky arrangements and Desmond’s alto. It’s an absolute home run. What CTI could produce when everything clicked.

14. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

DONALD BYRD / BYRD IN PARIS AND PARISIAN THOROUGHFARE / BRUNSWICK / 1959 / SAM RECORDS REISSUE LPS OF 87 903 AND 87 904

DONALD BYRD (TRUMPET); BOBBY JASPAR (TENOR SAXOPHONE AND FLUTE); WALTER DAVIS JR. (PIANO); DOUG WATKINS (BASS); ART TAYLOR (DRUMS)

PRODUCED BY DANIEL FILIPPACHI AND FRANK TENOT. RECORDED LIVE AT L'OLYMPIA, PARIS ON OCTOBRE 22, 1958. PHOTOGRAPHY BY JEAN-PIERRE LELOIR AND FRANÇOIS POSTIF. LINER NOTES BY FRANK TENOT AND FRANÇOIS POSTIF.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

I'm playing now the album Tribute to John Coltrane (Various Artists featuring Wayne Shorter, Eddie Gomez, Jack De Johnette, Dave Liebman, Richie Beirach) - Live Under The Sky (1987)

CD Columbia CK 45136, US, 1989.

[​IMG]

16. AxiomAcoustics

Hey Milan, is this that "Jazz Covers" book? Recommended?
    https://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Covers-Joaquim-Paulo/dp/3836524066

17. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

18. AxiomAcoustics

Upon further investigation prices are insane for anything not beat to hell. Let me know if you ever want to see your copy.

19. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Now disc 3 of Getz's Roost box set. Some more great tunes and playing. His rendition of Autumn Leaves is so damn tender & sensitive. Love it. I don't normally reach for any Getz music or seek out much of his material to purchase, but this Roost set is highly recommended. Very glad I picked this up.

Jackie P and J.A.W. like this.
  20. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

World Saxophone Quartet - Live At The Brooklyn Academy Of Music
    David Murray, tenor sax & bass clarinet; Hamiet Bluiett, baritone sax & alto clarinet;
    Julius Hemphill, alto & soprano sax; Oliver Lake, alto & soprano sax.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. AxiomAcoustics

Duke Ellington & his Orchestra: The Ellington Suites

Originally recorded for Pablo in 1959/1971/1972. Personnel too numerous to mention but includes many of the usual suspects working with Duke during these periods.

[​IMG]

22. AxiomAcoustics

One of Jeff Schalnger's first album covers IIRC.

fingerpoppin likes this.
  23. AxiomAcoustics

Now you've got me intrigued and it looks like this set is OOP. Is this material concomitant with that fine Clef/Norgran material? that was released by Mosaic?

24. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Taking a detour this afternoon...best mastering I’ve heard...run, don’t walk.

Supertramp - Breakfast in America
    Mobile Fidelity
    UDSACD 2189

[​IMG]

Starwanderer and rxcory like this.
  25. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I'm not totally sure, but if his discography per Discogs is accurate then it is, as it looks like he was recording back and forth between several labels at the time (or these records were timed for release in such a way.

I never thought twice about not buying that Mosaic set. I checked for sound samples and they were decent enough but it never seemed essential. I may need to reassess, as is always the case with music I pass up. This one I like a lot due to the prevalent guitar accompaniment, especially in that live setting on Disc 2.

AxiomAcoustics likes this.