The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Also to supplement what Bobby said he was A&R man for Blue Note for a spell in his final years and I think those duties kept him from appearing on records more often than he might. He sure enhanced any album he was on!

rxcory and fatwad666 like this.
  2. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Timeless Records German Press CDSJP 223) 1990 .... recorded April 1985 @ Studio 44 Monster Holland. .... Cedar Walton (p) + David Williams (b)+ Billy Higgins (dr) .... sublime bravura guaranteed ....

3. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

fatwad666 likes this.
  4. Jim Duckworth

Jim Duckworth I can't lose with the stuff I use.

I've been wanting to get this one lately as trumpeter Joe Gordon really clicked for me this past weekend.

5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

In the 'nineties I asked a crusty old jazz musician (who goes online by DEEP) a similar question about another jazz musician and his answer was "the jazz life is a hard one and even harder if you're addicted to drugs." That's possibly the real answer to why there were so few I guess.

fatwad666 and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  6. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

It comes highly recommended. I own three records by Harold Land and they all have that sparkle that makes you want to listen to them again and again. Joe Gordon is strong on this record, though my "star" is the interplay between Wes and Harold. If you haven't had the chance to listen to it yet, check out his album on Contemporary "Lookin' Good": a strong effort by a talented trumpeter who passed way too early.

Jim Duckworth likes this.
  7. Jim Duckworth

Thank you for the insightful review! I love The Fox and I'm sure that I need this. Thank you again.

8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

These are my Harold Land CDs and they're all worthwhile:
    Harold in the Land of Jazz – Original Jazz Classics; 1958 Contemporary recordings
    The Fox – Original Jazz Classics; 1959 Contemporary recordings
    West Coast Blues! – Riverside; 1960 recordings
    Eastward Ho!: Harold Land in New York – Original Jazz Classics; 1960 Riverside recordings
    Hear Ye!!!! Hear Ye!!!! Hear Ye!!!! Hear Ye! – Atlantic; 1961 recordings with co-leader Red Mitchell

fatwad666, cds23 and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  9. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

NLT...Larry Willis is not a name that I have run across often. A quick grace at his discography doesn't show much that I am familiar with.

Lee Morgan - Infinity
    Blue Note (1965)
    TOCJ-1627

Trumpet – Lee Morgan
    Alto Saxophone – Jackie McLean
    Piano – Larry Willis
    Bass – Reggie Workman
    Drums – Billy Higgins

[​IMG]

10. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

I am playing now on my Marantz CD player cd6006 Listen Here! by Eddie Palmieri, CD Concord CCD-2276-2, US 2005.
    Exciting Latin Jazz featuring the great hard bopper Brian Lynch on trumpet, Conrad Herwig on trombone, Donald Harrison on alto sax, the master conguero Giovanni Hidalgo etc... Special guests: Regina Carter, John Scofield, David Sanchez and so on.
    Stunning version of In A Walked Bud by Monk.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  11. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Lee Morgan and Jackie McLean have often played together create intense and spectacular performances.

MagicAlex likes this.
  12. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

'Eastward Ho!' and 'Hear Ye!!!' are the two titles I have had on my wish list for an eternity. I really have to get them soon...

J.A.W. likes this.
  13. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Wrapping up a sunny afternoon with a little Sonny...two session groups on this one.

Sonny Clark - The 45 Sessions
    Blue Note
    TOCJ-1617

Piano – Sonny Clark
    Bass – Jymie Merritt
    Drums - Wes Landers

Piano – Sonny Clark
    Bass - Paul Chambers
    Drums – "Philly" Joe Jones

[​IMG]

xybert, Jackie P, cds23 and 5 others like this.
  14. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Larry Young: Contrasts

Larry Young: Organ
    Hank White: Flugelhorn
    Herbert Morgan and Tyrone Washington: Tenor saxophone
    Eddie Wright: Guitar
    Eddie Gladden: Drums
    Stacey Edwards: Congas
    Althea Young: Vocals (track 4)

Recorded at Rudy's on September 18, 1967, almost two years before Larry would appear on 'Bitches Brew' and there's evidence here (as in other places) that the Miles Davis masterpiece did not come from out of nowhere with the lead-off track here featuring that stew of swingin' avant-tinged funk underpinning some forward looking polyphony by the soloists. (Miles had just wrapped up recording the post-bop classic 'Nerfertiti' and wouldn't incorporate this type of playing or instrumentation for another year.) Far from your typical Blue Note organ date of the day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. AxiomAcoustics

For a heapin' helpin' of Joe Gordon's trumpet playing be sure to check out the Shelly Manne Blackhawk dates released on Contemporary. Most of the tunes are stretched out quite nicely so Joe (and others) really get a chance to blow. Plus the recorded live sound is excellent. Same venue that gave us killer albums by Monk and Miles.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  16. AxiomAcoustics

Not sure why my pix are disappearing after an hour or two, I'm using the exact same procedure and app as I always have, OneDrive. Previous pix are still up after 2-3 years. Any others seeng a change with this program?

What it was. Going to see how long it lasts.

[​IMG]

MagicAlex likes this.
  17. AxiomAcoustics

I was a late comer to Ike Quebec as well and have really come to appreciate his music, as little as there is. I'd highly recommend the three BN titles that AP released with my favorite being 'Soul Samba' with Kenny Burrell on guitar. It's a stunner: uplifting in the day, sultry and moody at night.

Bobby Buckshot and fatwad666 like this.
  18. AxiomAcoustics

The "artist focused" thing was a speculative question as to who could replace (or supplement) Miles as an economically viable artist for MoFi to feature. They seem to like to do runs large and small these days and it's worked out nicely for them and us. Or is that Us and Them? (Floyd reference, sorry.) I'd be happy with single releases as well. As I first stated, I just want MoFi to do more Jazz period, so Coltrane seemed the safest bet for a somewhat conservative label. Although maybe he's been overdone with the impulse! and Prestige titles that AP has done. I can't see MoFi doing some of the more "difficult" titles that I'd love to see.

If I were launching a Jazz reissue label today I'd kick things off with a Complete VV boxed set. Preorder yours today! Quantities are strictly limited!

rxcory likes this.
  19. Henry Please

Henry Please Forum Resident

LP- recent RSD mono reissue

[​IMG]

20. AxiomAcoustics

You have the 'Jazz Gallery' version from 1999?

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Guess what... no images :shake:

22. AxiomAcoustics

Dammit. And I can still see it. But for how long?

23. Jim Duckworth

Yes! Exactly. Could not agree more. Thank you.

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  24. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

25. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Love the original Atlantic CD pressing. All the “old” Atlantic jazz CDs from that era feel perennially playable (Ellington, Coltrane, Mingus, Blakey). But my ear is subjectively tilted to them for whatever reason and wouldn’t feel comfortable claiming it as definitive.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.