The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Blue Note King Records Japan GXK-8078) 1978 .... recorded February 1966 @ Van Gelder Studio Englewood Cliffs .... Wayne Shorter at his creative peak in 1966 .... btw the "Rhythm Section" ain`t too shabby either .... glorious sounding King Japan vinyl edition ....

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  2. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

Miles Davis Live Evil
    [​IMG] any chance this may get a Quad SACD?

3. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

CLARK TERRY / SELF-TITLED / EMARCY / 1955 / EARLY (1958?) REPRESS OF MG 36007 WITH MERCURY DEEP GROOVE LABELS

CLARK TERRY - TRUMPET
    JIMMY CLEVELAND - TROMBONE
    CECIL PAYNE - BARITONE SAXOPHONE
    HORACE SILVER - PIANO
    WENDELL MARSHALL - BASS
    OSCAR PETTIFORD - BASS, CELLO
    ART BLAKEY - DRUMS
    QUINCY JONES - ARRANGER

RECORDED JANUARY 3 AND 4, 1955 AT FINE SOUND STUDIOS, NEW YORK CITY.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the "bubbles" on the cover, it's just the laminate peeling off a bit. I still think it's a pretty nice cover though....

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  4. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up
    Blue Note (1964)
    TOCJ-4176
    BN Works 4100 Series

Tenor Saxophone – Dexter Gordon
    Trumpet – Donald Byrd
    Piano – Kenny Drew
    Bass – Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen
    Drums – Art Taylor

[​IMG]

5. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Glad my ears aren't as good as yours.

fatwad666 likes this.
  6. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Tonight's commuting music:
    [​IMG]
    Probably the first Hancock album I've heard I wasn't a big fan of. Sorta comes across like Herbie's version of a Silent Way/Bitches Brew kinda thing to me. I liked the first track but other than that...possibly a little too ambient and freestyle for my tastes.

7. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Miles Davis - The Complete Jack Johnson Sessions
    Disc 5, trks 3 & 4.

[​IMG]

8. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

What are your thoughts about the sound for these tracks on the Mosaic box? Best digital version?
    Thanks

9. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Andrew Hill - Point of Departure
    Blue Note (1964)
    TOCJ-4167
    BN Works 4100 Series

Piano – Andrew Hill
    Tenor Saxophone – Joe Henderson
    Alto Saxophone, Flute, Bass Clarinet – Eric Dolphy
    Trumpet – Kenny Dorham
    Bass – Richard Davis
    Drums – Anthony Williams

[​IMG]

10. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

11. This week the Stan Getz titles just keep on coming......

[​IMG]

5 Original Albums Vol. 2 - Stan Getz (Verve) 5CD Box

[The Bossa Nova Classics]

CD1 - Jazz Samba with Charlie Byrd

CD2 - Jazz Samba Encore! with Luiz Bonfa & Maria Toledo

CD3 - Stan Getz with special guest Laurindo Almeida

CD4 - Getz/Gilberto with Joao Gilberto & Antonio Carlos Jobim

CD5 - Getz/Gilberto#2 with Stan Getz-Joao Gilberto [Recorded Live At Carnegie Hall with Joao Gilberto]

This is an excellent 5CD budget cardboard box set. All CDs are presented in mini original single cardboard sleeves and (I'm guessing) in original CD mastering. There is superb sound on all discs.

No booklet, bonus tracks, cloned discs or CD-Rs included! Box issued by the Jazz Labels (Netherlands) via Universal.

* I already had three of the above titles but buying this nifty wee budget compact box set was the cheapest way to get hold of Jazz Samba Encore! & Getz-Gilberto#2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GeoffC, Cactus Bob, SOONERFAN and 3 others like this.
  12. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Dennis González & Faruq Z Bey - Hymn for Tomasz Stańko
    Qbico (2009)
    Qbico 82
    Limited CDR

Trumpet, Percussion – Dennis Gonzalez
    Saxophone [Tenor, Alto], Gong – Faruq Z. Bey
    Saxophone [Tenor, Soprano] – Skeeter C.R. Shelton
    Saxophone [Tenor], Clarinet [Bass] – Mike Carey
    Vibraphone [Vibes], Marimba, Baglama [Saz], Tambura [Tamboura] – Mike Gilmore
    Bass, Percussion – Mike Johnston
    Drums, Percussion – Nick Ashton

[​IMG]

13. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Viewing your post made me realize that I have all 5 on vinyl but they're not all together....gotta round em' up!

14. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD RCA Sony Music Japan "Jazz Collection 1000" SICP 3967) 2014 ..... recorded December 1958 .... fantastic playing by Messrs. Benny Golson + Lee Morgan .... feat likely the definitive version of "Moanin" .... very good sounding japanese "nice price" CD edition from 2014 ....

15. Shrdlu

Shrdlu Forum Resident

One doesn't need good ears. The McMaster CDs are, for the most part, a disgrace, especially the 1980s ones. They are beyond being fixed by adjusting the tone controls. It is sad that such a lot of Blue Note reissues were done by him. He is the only one that excuses are made for - Michael Cuscuna tries to cover for him by saying that 16-bit CDs aren't any good. But that is rubbish. Fantasy started issuing CDs of Riverside and Prestige sessions (mainly by Phil de Lancie) at the same time, and they sound great. Furthemore, the first "Blue Note Works" CDs are 16-bit (from 4001 through 4099) and they are excellent.

There is no other jazz label for which I have had to chase up Japanese versions (though the Japanese CDs are always excllent and I have a lot of them for other labels.

16. cds23

FRANK FOSTER / HERE COMES FRANK FOSTER / BLUE NOTE / 1954 / JAPANESE TOSHIBA BN 0013 REISSUE LP OF BN 5043

FRANK FOSTER - TENOR SAXOPHONE
    BENNIE POWELL - TROMBONE
    GILDO MAHONES - PIANO
    PERCY HEATH - BASS
    KENNY CLARKE - DRUMS

PRODUCED BY ALFRED LION. RECORDED BY RUDY VAN GELDER AT VAN GELDER STUDIOS, HACKENSACK, NEW JERSEY ON MAY 5, 1954. PHOTOGRAPHY BY FRANCIS WOLFF. DESIGN BY JOHN HERMANSADER. LINER NOTES BY LEONARD FEATHER.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Well, I happen to totally disagree. I once thought the 1980s McMasters weren't any good, but that was clearly system-related and careful listening on other systems made me change my opinion. Many, if not most of those early Blue Note CDs sound fine to me. Your assessment reads like a personal attack on McMaster and in my view that's inappropriate. You may not like his work (and clearly you don't), but that's no reason for personal attacks.

patient_ot and fatwad666 like this.
  18. cds23

JULIUS WATKINS / NEW FACES - NEW SOUNDS / BLUE NOTE / 1954 / JAPANESE TOSHIBA REISSUE LP OF BN 5053

FRANK FOSTER - TENOR SEAXOPHONE
    JULIUS WATKINS - FRENCH HORN
    PERRY LOPEZ - GUITAR
    GEORGE BUTCHER - PIANO
    OSCAR PETTIFORD - BASS
    KENNY CLARKE - DRUMS

PRODUCED BY ALFRED LION. RECORDED BY RUDY VAN GELDER AT VAN GELDER STUDIO, HACKENSACK, NEW JERSEY ON AUGUST 8, 1954. PHOTOGRAPHY AND DESIGN BY BILL HUGHES. LINER NOTES BY LEONARD FEATHER.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I have a lot of McMasters, bought when they were the only CD issues available. They sound OK to me. Maybe that's because I haven't heard anything better. In any case I am now retired & I'm not going to the expense of re-buying all those CDs. My old ears have to be satisfied with what I got.

DrJ likes this.
  20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Ah, I remember those Japanese 10" Blue Note reissues from the 1970s. I had a bunch of them. Very nice.

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

No need to rebuy anything in my opinion, as I said above most of those 1980s McMaster Blue Note sound fine to my ears.

DrJ, vanhooserd and fatwad666 like this.
  22. cds23

Agreed, they look and sound fine. Actually, the two I posted above are 12 inches, Toshiba reissued them again during the 80's and 90's (the best known is probably the George Wallington - Showcase album) but on 12" with alternate takes which were omitted on the 10" records.

23. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

[​IMG]

With Pharoah Sanders, Bobby Hutcherson, Mulgrew Miller, Robert Hurst and Brian Blade. Not a shabby crew of sidemen.

24. cds23

I like the sound of them, too. I actually prefer the early to mid 90's BN Works TOCJs, but the McMaster CDs from the 80's up to ca. 1997 sound quite good. I'm not even sure McMaster did anything specific with the sound; I think the info on the back of BN CDs saying "the two track tapes were directly transferred without further mixing" can be taken literally. The problem is that the tapes probably do sound a bit bass-shy and brittle from the outset, both things that appeared strange to Blue Note fans who were used to listening to their favourite albums on vinyl exclusively up to this point. The versions that are considered as the best around here are certainly not just flat transfers without any EQ (and that's not a bad thing, just to avoid any misunderstanding).

DrJ and fatwad666 like this.
  25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I still have a lot of the Japanese "Blue Note Works" CDs from the 1990s and they sound fine too, although sometimes the rolled-off highs bother me a bit.

DrJ likes this.