The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. [​IMG]

Street Of Dreams - Grant Green (Blue Note) CD
    with
    Grant Green (guitar), Bobby Hutcherson (vibes), Larry Young (organ), Elvin Jones (drums)

Recorded 1964

A delightful Grant Green album that could just as easily have been credited to Larry Young. It may be short (fractionally just over 33 minutes) but it has some sweet moments.

vanhooserd, Erik B., BKphoto and 9 others like this.
  2. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

KENNY DORHAM / JAZZ CONTRASTS / RIVERSIDE / 1957 / US FIRST (?) MONO PRESS WITH BLUE AND SILVER DEEP GROOVE LABELS RLP 12-239

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

vanhooserd, Erik B., BKphoto and 10 others like this.
  3. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Duke Ellington: The Bethlehem Sessions 1

[​IMG]

4. My back to back Grant Green listening session continues!

[​IMG]

The Latin Bit / Grant Green (Blue Note) CD
    with
    Grant Green (guitar), Ike Quebec (tenor sax), Johnny Acea / Sonny Clark (piano), Wendell Marshall (bass), Willie Bobo (drums), Carlos "Patato" Valdes (congas), Garvin Masseaux (chekere)

Recorded 1961

I had never heard this one before now, and just as expected, I am enjoying every minute of it.

Erik B., BKphoto, Berthold and 7 others like this.
  5. My back to back to back to back Grant Green listening session continues!

[​IMG]

Grant's First Stand - Grant Green (Blue Note) CD
    with
    Grant Green (guitar), "Baby Face" Willette (organ), Ben Dixon (drums)

Recorded 1961

Another Grant Green, and another recorded in 1961, that I had never heard before now. Soul Jazz lovers should check out this Trio session.

Erik B., mktracy, BKphoto and 7 others like this.
  6. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Last night:

[​IMG]

Circuit Rider

Ron Miles, Brian Blade, Bill Frisell

7. [​IMG]

I Want To Hold Your Hand - Grant Green (Blue Note) CD
    with
    Grant Green (guitar), Hank Mobley (tenor sax), Larry Young (organ), Elvin Jones (drums)

Recorded 1965

The Quartet work through a selection of well known pieces.

This is the fifth Grant Green disc I have listened to since yesterday. They are all included in this recently released 5 Original Albums box set.

[​IMG]

When I opened the package yesterday the first thing I noticed was the slight down grade in presentation from previous box sets of this nature. All the individual cardboard sleeves have a narrow green band round the front of the (original) replica sleeves and there are no notes on the back – just the basic track listing and recording information. It’s a small gripe I know but I must admit I was initially slightly annoyed with this change. Previous Blue Note 5CD box sets were made in Holland/Netherlands. This one originated in Italia. On the positive side all the discs sound great and there is remastering information printed on the back of the individual sleeves. Despite the minor presentation gripes I am still well pleased with this collection. I already had 2 of the 5 titles and to buy the other 3 as individual releases would probably have cost 3 times as much as the budget release.

If anyone is missing out on any of these titles this budget box is a genuine bargain and one I would recommend.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    vanhooserd, Erik B., mktracy and 7 others like this.
  8. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Art Blakey "Drums Around The Corner" (1959)

9. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Erik B., lwh1, mktracy and 9 others like this.
  10. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Cascades of notes emerge from unexpected places, begin to take form and then dissolve into something else entirely...the effect is mesmerizing. With ‘Andrew!!!’, Hill turns avoiding-the-obvious into a full-contact sport. His run of albums for Blue Note from 63-69 was nothing short of extraordinary—each intriguing in its own way as Hill pushed boundaries until he established new ones, then broke through those and began the cycle again. Yet Hill never went over the edge into totally free playing, even when his knottier compositions had elusive tonal or rhythmic centers. His catalog took me a minute to get my head around, but once the penny dropped I couldn’t get enough. Still can’t.
    His music is a bit difficult to label. I suppose post-bop comes closest but much of it has its own unique qualities...melodies can be more suggested or hinted at rather than fully formed or in-your-face yet there’s nothing arbitrary about the approach—if you’re concerned that the occasional reference to avant garde means a lot of dissonant/atonal honking, no...much of Hill’s music is quite beautiful.
    The sheer number of melodic waypoints throughout ‘Andrew!!!’ Is both delightful and overwhelming. I recommend spending some time with this record to get the most out of it and you’ll be richly rewarded. Recorded 25 June, 1964 at Van Gelder Studios with John Gilmore (tenor saxophone) Bobby Hutcherson (vibraphone) Andrew Hill (piano) Richard Davis (bass) & Joe Chambers (drums).
    This copy is an original pressing Blue Note 84203, stereo. VAN GELDER stamped in the deadwax. Matrix / Runout (Runout A, etched): BNST.84203 . A / (Runout B, etched): BNST.84203 . B.
    New reviews daily on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

xybert, Marzz, Robitjazz and 12 others like this.
  11. cds23

KENNY BURRELL / MIDNIGHT BLUE / BLUE NOTE / 1963 / ANALOGUE PRODUCTIONS SACD REISSUE OF BN 84123

[​IMG]

Myke Reid, Marzz, Robitjazz and 12 others like this.
  12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

13. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Joe Farrell - Outback
    CTI (1972)
    K32Y 6160

Flute – Joe Farrell
    Soprano Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone – Joe Farrell
    Piano [Electric] – Chick Corea
    Acoustic Bass – Buster Williams
    Drums – Elvin Jones
    Percussion – Airto Moreira

[​IMG]

xybert, Marzz, mktracy and 7 others like this.
  14. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Jackie McLean - Action
    The Complete Blue Note 1964 -66 Jackie McLean Sessions
    Jackie McLean, alto sax; Charles Tolliver, trumpet; Bobby Hutcherson, vibes;
    Cecil McBee, bass; Billy Higgins, drums.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD East Wind Japan UCCJ-9142) 2015 .... recorded March 1975 .... Art Farmer (flh) + Cedar Walton (p) + Sam Jones (b) + Billy Higgins (dr) with a completely heart-rending hommage to Duke Ellington .... do stock a considerable number of Art Farmer releases in my collection, but this one keeps a very special place in my heart ....

Marzz, MagicAlex, mktracy and 7 others like this.
  16. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Blue Note Universal Japan TYCJ-81086 SHM-CD) 2014 .... recorded September 6th, 1968 .... Joe Farrell (ts, ss, fl) + Jimmy Garrison (b) + Elvin Jones (dr) .... Joe Farrell - based on the proven Garrison + Jones chemistry - really soars and shines here ....

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    xybert, Marzz, MagicAlex and 7 others like this.
  17. Berthold

Charlie Parker: The Complete Masters 1941-54 7

[​IMG]

Marzz, MagicAlex, Erik B. and 5 others like this.
  18. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Sony Japan SICP-20316 Blu Spec) 2011 .... thereof CD1 feat. the concert performance from October 28th, 1967 @ Konigin Elizabethzaal Antwerp, Belgium .... priceless music indeed ....

19. Berthold

Dizzy Gillespie "The South American Tour 1"

[​IMG]

20. cds23

THE CECIL TAYLOR QUINTET / HARD DRIVING JAZZ / UNITED ARTISTS / 1958 / FRENCH FIRST MONO PRESSING ON HIS MASTER'S VOICE FELP 220 S LP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    xybert, MagicAlex, vanhooserd and 5 others like this.
  21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

An uneven album, Taylor and Dorham didn't quite match.

mktracy likes this.
  22. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

I love all the guys that ignored the boundaries, but Cecil is still a tough listen for me...

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  23. cds23

TED CURSON / PLAYS FIRE DOWN BELOW / PRESTIGE / 1962 / US FIRST STEREO PRESS WITH BLACK AND SILVER LABELS PR 7263 LP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marzz, MagicAlex, mktracy and 7 others like this.
  24. [​IMG]

Jazz in Paris | Swing 39 - Django Reinhardt (EmArcy) CD
    with
    Quintette Du Hot Club De Paris

Django (lead guitar), Stephane Grappelli (violin), Joseph Reinhardt (guitar), Pierre 'Barro' Ferret (guitar), Emmanuel Soudiex (double bass)

All tracks originally recorded in 1939 and issued on Decca 78s. The CD was digitally remastered on 24-bit and as per usual the sound is remarkable. The standard of musicianship, and choice of material, is pure class from start to finish.

Marzz, MagicAlex, Erik B. and 2 others like this.
  25. cds23

STAN GETZ AND BOB BROOKMEYER / RECORDED FALL 1961 / VERVE / 1961 / US FIRST MONO DEEP GROOVE V-8418 LP

[​IMG]

A truly fantastic album, highly recommended!

I didn't bother to make a photo of the back of the sleeve, as it has the liner notes of Johnny Hodges' "Blue Hodge" pasted to it - apparently this happened more than once with the Mono pressing.

caio vaz, Marzz, MagicAlex and 6 others like this.