The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

2. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    One of the odd pairings that Collectables sometimes comes up with. The Lloyd album was issued 7/71 but recorded 7/66 & 10/66 in France & Norway with Cecil McBee on bass. The Marsh album was issued in 1958 & is in stereo. With Paul Chambers (b), Ronnie Ball (p on two tracks), Philly Joe Jones (d on the tracks with Ball) & Paul Motian (d on the other tracks). Marsh praises Chambers highly in the liner notes & his playing on this certainly deserves the praise.

3. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Norris Turney - Big Sweet N' Blue (Mapleshade)

Norris replaced Johnny Hodges in Ellington's band, big shoes. Here he's in a smaller group with the great Larry Willis, Walter Booker and Jimmy Cobb.

4. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Trip Report: NYC CD Stores

Over the weekend I was in NYC and the spouse was kind enough to allowed this jazz fan an afternoon of CD shopping in Manhattan.

Academy Records (18th Street) :

Good used jazz selection, including a number of Mosaic boxes and Mosaic Select titles and some Japanese imports. Not the ones I was looking for however. They had a lot of nice used albums (that I already owned!), but in the end I only left with one seldom seen ECM title:

[​IMG]

Academy Records (14 th Street):

Vinyl only, so nothing much for this digital guy. I did browse the LP's quickly (I still have a turntable) but I didn't find anything of interest to me.

Other Music:

New and used, CD and Vinyl. Worth a visit, although the new stuff is priced a little higher than elsewhere. Closing shop soon apparently, but no clear-out sales yet.

I left with a John Surman album that had been in my mental check-out list for some time.

[​IMG]

Downtown Music Gallery:

Lots of stuff of interest to the outside jazz fan. I spent a lot of money here, including this one:

[​IMG]

However some warnings:

- Their online search isn't accurate. There were a couple of items I was hoping to purchase that showed available in store on their website that were actually not in stock.
    - They have some CD-R's of some rare material. Quite a few times I found some interesting stuff (mostly LP-only) but it was a CD-R. It was always unsealed, but check the disc before purchasing.

Jazz Record Center:

Well, this is obviously the place to go for a jazz fan. Lots of CD and Vinyl, new and used. Plus DVD's, T-Shirts, and books. They stock a wide breath of artists. Again I spent a lot of money here (and could have spent a lot more), and found some things I hadn't seen in store before. Prices were also good, especially for used stuff.

Among what I purchased:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall a successful shopping experience (a baker's dozen albums). Plus some exercise walking from store to store!

In the end I think Jazz Record Center would easily be #1 on any list of stores for a jazz fan to visit.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    DrJ, Cactus Bob, charlesp and 8 others like this.
  5. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Blue Note King Japan GXK-8096)

Starwanderer, Voltaire, DrJ and 16 others like this.
  6. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Blue Note King Japan GXK-8097)

7. WalterDigsTunes

WalterDigsTunes Forum Resident

[​IMG]

After having dipped my toes into the murky waters of certain Sun Ra live recordings, this CD shines out as an audiophile dream disc :wiggle:

8. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(CD IDA Records IDA-014 CD) .... after a 10+year hiatus from from jazz music, super talented Barney Wilen returned to his roots in 1987 ..... he is at hist best in this stunnigly beatiful quartet date with a brilliant rhythm section feat Michel Graillier (p) + Ricardo Del Fra (b) + Sangoma Everett (dr) .....

Marzz, ronfint, DrJ and 5 others like this.
  9. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(CD RCA Sony Music Japan SICP 3978 + SICP3979) - superb live date from 1959 featuring Kenny Dorham (trumpet) + Barney Wilen (soprano sax) + Duke Jordan (piano) + Paul Rovère (bass), + Daniel Humair (drums) .... btw includes previously unreleased material .... outstanding transfer too ....

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    jay.dee, Marzz, DrJ and 7 others like this.
  10. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Dave BrubeckOnce When I Was Young (MusicMasters Jazz)
    — With Bill Smith, Jack Six, Randy Jones

[​IMG]

The way this was recorded is distracting. The sound of the instruments seem disjointed to me and I'm not thrilled with the performance either. One for the outgoing pile. At least I didn't pay much for it. :)

11. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Steeplechase SCS-1011) .... some 14 Years after bringing to light the magnificent "Flight To Jordan" (Blue Note), Duke Jordan was on the move to Europe .... his first session overseas was cut @ Copenhagen, Denmark in November 1973 and features Mads Vinding (b) + Ed Thigpen (dr) .... an essential Piano Trio recording for sure ....

12. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

Thelonious Monk Quintet / 5 by Monk by 5 / Riverside / 1959 / Analogue Productions Gold CD from the Riverside Tenor Sessions 7CD Box Set

Personnel: Charlie Rouse (tenor sax), Thad Jones (cornet), Thelonious Monk (piano), Sam Jones (bass), Art Taylor (drums)

Technical: Produced by Orrin Keepnews. Recorded June 1 and 2, 1959 at Reeves Sound Studios in New York City by Jack Higgins. Photos by Lawrence N. Shustak. Liner Notes by Orrin keepnews. Mastered by Kevin Gray at AcousTech Mastering, Camarillo, CA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, Marzz, DrJ and 15 others like this.
  13. ronfint

ronfint Forum Resident

14. [​IMG]

Bud Powell In Paris - Bud Powell Trio (Reprise/Wounded Bird)
    with
    Gilbert Rovere (bass) & Carl Donnell "Kansas" Fields (drums)

Recorded February, 1963

Produced by Duke Ellington

Marzz, DrJ, Cactus Bob and 11 others like this.
  15. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Those albums produced by Ellington for Reprise are awesome. There is a whole album of alternates of this one that came out in the Mythic Sound series of ten cds. I really like the Dollar Brand, and I LOVE the Sathima Benjamin (then Mrs. Dollar Brand). I THINK the album with Alice Babs, "Serenade to Sweden" was also part of this series, and I wish that were on cd. I'd love a Mosaic box of these sessions and hopefully extra material.

16. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Count Basie and His Orchestra – Basie at Birdland — Recorded Live at "The Jazz Corner of the World" [CD 3b (6/28/61 - set 1) from The Complete Roulette Live Recordings] (Roulette Records / Mosaic)
    — With Marshal Royal, Frank Wess, Frank Foster, Budd Johnson, Charlie Fowlkes / Thad Jones, Sonny Cohn, Lennie Johnson, Snooky Young / Quentin Jackson, Henry Coker, Benny Powell / Basie, Freddie Green, Eddie Jones, Sonny Payne / arrangers: Ernie Wilkins, Neal Hefti, Quincy Jones; 4 unissued tracks / 2 issued; missing tape w/ vocals at end of set one and first few numbers of set two

[​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Archie Shepp & Horace Parlan - Goin' Home (SteepleChase)
    Godpel and blues from 1980.

Marzz, ronfint, Cactus Bob and 7 others like this.
  18. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Wayne Shorter - Footprints Live!... Danilo Perez (p) John Pattitucci (b) Brian Blade (d). Wayne surveys his last 40 years in this 2001 gem, backed by a superb band.

[​IMG]

The band at Newport performing "Aung San Suu Kyi".

19. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Hod O'Brien / Jon Eardley Quartet – Yardbird Suite (Blue Jack Jazz Records)
    — With Hod O'Brian (piano), Jon Eardley (trumpet & flugelhorn), Hans Mantel (bass), Bram Wijland (drums); live at the SJU-Huis in Utrecht, Netherlands

[​IMG]

DrJ and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  20. [​IMG]

On My Way & Shoutin' Again! - Count Basie And His Orchestra (Verve/Originals)

Recorded 1962

* Current price - £2.99 | Amazon UK

Marzz, ronfint, DrJ and 6 others like this.
  21. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Max RoachMembers, Don't Get Weary (Atlantic Records / Koch Jazz [HDCD])
    — Max Roach (drums), Charles Tolliver (trumpet), Gary Bartz (alto saxophone), Stanley Cowell (piano, electric piano), Jymie Merritt (electric bass), Andy Bey (vocals, track 5)
    — One composition each by Roach, Bartz & Merritt, three by Cowell

[​IMG]

Marzz, ronfint, DrJ and 9 others like this.
  22. Reckoon

Reckoon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Charles Mingus- Trio

originally read about this in Hampton's book "Raise Up Off Me", an interesting look at two completely different jazz personalities collaborating. I absolutely love the Bass/Drum heavy version of "Summertime" probably my favorite rendition of it. Listening on a 1959 Jubilee pressing.

ronfint, DrJ, vanhooserd and 9 others like this.
  23. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

John ColtraneOlé Coltrane [(E) from The Heavyweight Champion: The Complete Atlantic] (Atlantic Records / Rhino)
    — With Eric Dolphy, Freddie Hubbard, Art Davis, Reggie Workman, Elvin Jones

[​IMG] [​IMG]

24. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Cecil Taylor - Unit Structures

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, Marzz, ronfint and 13 others like this.
  25. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

George Russell Septet – The Stratus Seekers (Riverside Records / OJC)
    — With Don Ellis, Dave Baker, John Pierce, Paul Plummer, Steve Swallow, Joe Hunt

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, Marzz, ronfint and 12 others like this.