The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

This is a 'right' version of CONSECRATION. The remasters that include all the US variations sound terrible to me.

2. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have been listening to the bootleg series Miles at Newport box repeatedly on my travels. I have the whole box loaded into my multidisc CD player in my vehicle. Seriously good intense playing from all eras represented.

3. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Starwanderer, Lonson and DrJ like this.
  4. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP New Jazz Prestige Toshiba EMI Japan LPJ-70029) .... recorded in July 1960 .... feat Roy Haynes (dr) + Eddie De Haas (b) + Richard Wyands (p) .... outstanding job by the (wrongfully) rather unheralded Richard Wyands ....

5. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Liberty UA Jazz Series Toshiba EMI Japan LBJ-60056) .... always good to hear .... and another showcase for Richard Wyands (p) ....

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  6. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Danilo Perez - The Journey... David Sanchez (as, ts) George Garzone (ts) Larry Grenadier (b) Ignacio Berroa (d). I had kinda written off Afro-Cuban jazz, thinking Coltrane had tied a bow on it years ago. But this is totally fresh and forward-looking, with many exotic instruments (shekere, rainstick and udu to name a few) in the mix.

[​IMG]

7. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Sun Ra and his Myth Science Arkestra – Holiday for Soul Dance (Evidence Music / Saturn 508)
    — With Phil Cohran, Nate Pryor, John Gilmore, Marshall Allen, Ronnie Boykins, Jon L. Hardy + Ricky Murray; standards!; 1960

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. ronfint

ronfint Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    LP transferred to 192/24 ALAC

This is great music, of course, but I wish I had a mono LP. The horns on my stereo copy are panned so hard left and right that I need three rooms to listen to this.

9. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

John Coltrane Quartet – The Complete Africa/Brass Sessions - CD 1 (5/23/61 session) (Impulse! / MCA Records — GRP)
    — John Coltrane (soprano and tenor saxophone), McCoy Tyner (piano), Reggie Workman (bass), Elvin Jones (drums) & Booker Little (trumpet), Julius Watkins, Bob Northern, Donald Corrado, Robert Swisshelm (French horns), Bill Barber (tuba), Pat Patrick (baritone saxophone)
    — Plus: (May 23 session) Freddie Hubbard (trumpet), Julian Priester, Charles Greenlee (euphonium), Jim Buffington (french horn), Garvin Bushell (piccolo, woodwinds), Paul Chambers (bass on "Africa")
    — Eric Dolphy, McCoy Tyner (orchestration), Romulus Franceschini (orchestration on "The Damned Don't Cry"), David A. Wild (reissue liner notes)

[​IMG]

Coltrane's first session for Impulse records.

10. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Keith Jarrett - Arbour Zena.
    With Jan Garbarek, Charlie Haden and strings.
    [​IMG]

11. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

best thread on the whole site...

IMHO

12. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Thank you for this info - I will definitely preorder this one.

yasujiro likes this.
  13. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

14. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Oscar Peterson & Count BasieSatch and Josh … Again (Pablo Records)
    — With John Heard, Louis Bellson

[​IMG]

Voltaire, ronfint, Cactus Bob and 3 others like this.
  15. Rob F

Rob F Forum Resident

Larry Young - Of Love and Peace

[​IMG]

Marzz, rxcory, ronfint and 8 others like this.
  16. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Grant Green - Sunday Mornin' (Blue Note) 1999 24bit Japanese mini LP reissue

I can't remember ever running across this album in the local racks besides this Japanese cd from a Tower outlet around the turn of the century. I'm guessing it was reissued on vinyl at some point but I've never seen one. Although I prefer a few others it is still a strong title imo. Released in 1961.

Kenny Drew - p
    Ben Tucker - b
    Ben Dixon - d
    Grant Green - g

Marzz, rxcory, ronfint and 7 others like this.
  17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Thanks for the link to the info. I passed on the first and I'll pass on this one. I just don't like these sessions enough to warrant the cost.

18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

+1

19. BobFan115

BobFan115 Forum Resident

When I picked up the set, I was most excited about discs 2 and 4. The Second Great Quintet is my favorite jazz band, and I love the Cellar Door box, so I figured I would be spending the most time with these. As it ends up, the second part of disc 3 (the 1973 set) is my favorite thing on here. I have been playing it a ton, especially when I work out and/or run. The start of disc 1 is special, too, as much for the spoken parts as for the music itself.

A great set. I would recommend it to anyone just getting into jazz and/or Miles Davis.

Daedalus likes this.
  20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Don Friedman - Waltz For Debbie (Eighty Eight's) blu-spec CD2
    W/George Mraz and Lewis Nash. My second album by Friedman so I'm not real familiar with his discography. While I feel like it's too early to make any grand observations but the music is well played and the musicians really play off each other. are there any fans here with a favorite besides this and Moon River? The sound on these discs is wonderful, really balanced and lacking nothing imo.

Marzz, rxcory, ronfint and 1 other person like this.
  21. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Eric Kloss - In The Land Of Giants (Prestige) Japanese 20 bit K2 cd part of the 50th anniversary of Prestige program.
    Eric - as
    Booker Ervin - ts
    Jaki Byard - p
    Richard Davis - b
    Alan Dawson - d

Marzz, ronfint, Cactus Bob and 4 others like this.
  22. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

George Benson- Absolute Benson (Verve)
    [​IMG]
    Pretty respectable 1999 smooth crossover effort by George.
    Allstar line up including Joe Sample which is a good thing IMO.

Marzz, ronfint, DrJ and 1 other person like this.
  23. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Archie Shepp - Blasé / Live At The Pan-African Festival

[​IMG]

royzak2000, Marzz, JustLust and 7 others like this.
  24. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Miles DavisMiles at The Fillmore — Miles Davis 1970: The Bootleg Series Vol. 3 - CD 4, Fillmore East, 6/20/1970 (Columbia/Legacy)
    — With Steve Grossman, Chick Corea, Keith Jarrett, Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette, Airto Moreira; complete concert

[​IMG]

25. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

The past couple evenings, I've been listening to this, my first Jazz LP on vinyl!
    [​IMG]