The Jimi Hendrix Experience: Winterland

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maidenpriest, Jul 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

2. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Remastered by Bernie Grundman without the compression on the box would be nice :)

Maidenpriest and Lownote30 like this.
  3. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :) Thread Starter

Winterland Reels or my mash up :)

4. Maidenpriest

That didn't bother me about the organ but the flute was an amazing performance and should have been equal to the guitar in the mix !!

5. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I'm a little late to this party...

The Douglas Ryko CD was my first copy of this and I played it to death. I later got the box with the +3 disc and T Shirt when it was on clearance at the mall. It's still a good release (love the poster included) but I prefer Kramer's mixing touch on the box set. To me it isn't too dry and has a nice bit of hall ambiance left intact. I could always add more reverb if I wanted via software anyway :)! Not to sound too cheeky, but my peferred version of the sets from 10-Oct-68 is a fan mix of the box set (as the primary source) with 1st gen soundboards shared by a collector spliced in where tuning, chat and music was missing to make the shows complete. I opted for the version where the volume has been boosted on the spoken intros (which increases the hiss, but I don't mind) so Jimi can be heard more clearly. Unfortunately I don't believe this was done (by the same fan) for the other shows, although I do have his reconstruction of the opening "AYE" that everyone in this tread has been talking about (with the intro preserved and the flute solo punched in at an appropriately higher level in the mix) from the 11th.

This may be sacrilege, but these shows have never been my favorite. The band sounds more and more tired with each progressive set (IMO). When I do listen, it's primarly to the sets from 10-Oct-68 for this reason. By the time they get to the 12th, the band sounds pretty much out of gas to me.

On a related note, my friend Alan's favorite part is the guy at the end of one of the shows who stays in the crowd and can be heard yelling "3rd Stone From The Sun" over and over (which is picked up by the mic). He sounds like he's super high and wants to "experience" just a bit more :)!

Hep Alien and Maidenpriest like this.
  6. My attempt at cherry picking my favorite performances from repeated songs in the box set:

Sunshine Of Your Love [Live 10/10/68 Winterland, San Francisco, CA] 7:31
    Sunshine Of Your Love [Live 10/12/68 Winterland, San Francisco, CA] 9:02
    Both versions are great...the first is more succinct and tight, but the second has a pretty cool groove going in the extended work-out section -a hard choice

Foxey Lady [Live 10/10/68 Winterland, San Francisco, CA] 5:37
    Foxey Lady [Live 10/11/68 Winterland, San Francisco, CA] 5:13
    Foxey Lady [Live 10/12/68 2nd Show, Winterland, San Francisco, CA] 6:05
    No preference, I just don't find any of them too exciting -I think this song has lost its appeal to me.

Hey Joe [Live 10/10/68 Winterland, San Francisco, CA] 7:20
    Hey Joe [Live 10/11/68 Winterland, San Francisco, CA] 5:13
    Hey Joe [Live 10/12/68 Winterland, San Francisco, CA] 6:45
    This version is the most interesting, but the studio version is my favorite.

Star Spangled Banner [Live 10/10/68 Winterland, San Francisco, CA] 5:56
    Star Spangled Banner [Live 10/12/68 Winterland, San Francisco, CA] 6:11
    No preference here, both are great

Purple Haze [Live 10/10/68 Winterland, San Francisco, CA] 5:37
    Purple Haze [Live 10/11/68 Winterland, San Francisco, CA] 5:18
    Purple Haze [Live 10/11/68 Winterland, San Francisco, CA] 6:16
    Purple Haze [Live 10/12/68 Winterland, San Francisco, CA] 3:42
    Brief and to the point...the extended wanking on the other versions doesn't interest me

Like A Rolling Stone [Live 10/11/68 Winterland, San Francisco, CA] 11:46
    Like A Rolling Stone [Live 10/12/68 Winterland, San Francisco, CA] 10:28
    The single version is more confident and better recorded than the other version -they chose wisely for the single

Are You Experienced [Live 10/11/68 Winterland, San Francisco, CA] 12:13
    Are You Experienced [Live 10/10/68 1st Show, Winterland, San Fran] 7:28
    Both are pretty cool, but the second one benefits from the shorter, tighter performance

Red House [Live 10/11/68 Winterland, San Francisco, CA] 12:24
    Red House [Live 10/12/68 Winterland, San Francisco, CA] 9:14
    Red House [Live 10/10/68 1st Show, Winterland, San Francisco, CA] 15:21
    All 3 are great...I can't choose, but the 10/12 has the annoying amp buzz throughout so it will not be picked as the best.

Fire [Live 10/11/68 Winterland, San Francisco, CA] 3:21
    Fire [Live 10/12/68 Winterland, San Francisco, CA] 4:59
    The Winterland arrangements of Fire do not work well for me...I need Noel doing audible back-up vocals

Spanish Castle Magic [Live 10/12/68 Winterland, San Francisco, CA] 6:29
    Spanish Castle Magic [Live 10/11/68 Winterland, San Francisco, CA] 9:34 (single b-side)
    In this case longer is better...

Tax Free 10/10/68
    Tax Free 10/11/68
    ?

Lover Man 10/10/68
    Lover Man 10/11/68
    Lover Man 10/12/68
    ?
    I have not yet compared these performances closely to make a choice...

JeffMo, JayB, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I think the Tax Free from October 11 is the most inspired. It is probably my favorite Experience version of the song, just marvelous and dark, and Noel does some really cool things on the bass.

I also think Lover Man did not really take flight until the following year, and the ultimate version is Berkeley '70. The 1968 versions feel a bit underdeveloped.

8. Maidenpriest

I have as well as reduce the Db and it sounds much better for it !! :)

jhm likes this.
  9. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

very interesting!

10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    There is also the Winterland 1 cd highlights disc.

1 Fire 3:30
    2 Foxey Lady 5:35
    3 Like A Rolling Stone 11:00
    4 Hey Joe 5:00
    5 Hear My Train A Comin' 12:00
    6 Sunshine Of Your Love 7:10
    7 Little Wing 3:45
    8 Are You Experienced ? 7:27
    9 Manic Depression 5:30
    10 Voodoo Child (Slight Return 7:45
    11 Purple Haze 5:20

andrewskyDE likes this.
  11. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I think I bought that back then - clear vinyl?

12. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I've got a download of the Winterland Reels. Is the box set a significant improvement in sound quality? As I remember, the recordings were up and down over the various shows.

13. Maidenpriest

I find it ok just not very Hi-fidelity, almost mono, of course the EH and Douglas mixes blow it away !

14. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

No black vinyl

15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

That's on my to-buy list. But I'll try to get the box set sometime later.

John Fell likes this.
  16. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Dive right in, go for the box! I think I mentioned on another thread it's like they took the old Ryko disc, the +3 disc and the songs from Concerts, put them in a hat, shook them up and put them on this disc. Not bad per se, but...

andrewskyDE and JeffMo like this.
  17. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I got the CD recently (which is pretty cool!) and plan to buy the 4 disc set soon.

18. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

I like the mixes and mastering on the Winterland box, but I know some fans who despise it and wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, because of all the unecessary editing and so forth.

19. John Harchar

The annoying thing is to get all that they've released from the 10/10-10/12 stand, you have to have the updated purple box for the third Like a Rolling Stone (I think you said you got it recently), the Like a Rolling Stone CD single for a different Spanish Castle Magic and the vinyl Johnny B. Goode single from the reissue of In the West for yet another Purple Haze. Plus they did not include the Voodoo Child from the Ryko +3 disc. A full release of all 6 concerts would've been so much easier!

20. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I think if you must explain Jimi's gift to someone, Are You Experienced from October 11 sums it up. Astonishing performance.

21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Yes, I have the Purple Box since a few days as well. Indeed a must buy!
    I was wondering why the Winterland CD set is incomplete, first I thought there were some technical issues hence omitting some tracks there.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

In some ways its sacrilegious to edit these shows but I really enjoy the sound and the performances of the box set. I cant get enough of the Spanish Castle Magic; Its funny with all the live shows recorded the JHE didn’t put out a stopgap live album in 1969.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

That was actually the plan but Smash Hits came out instead.

John Fell likes this.
  24. John Harchar

The speculation for at least as far as the Winterland shows go is that Jimi had so many technical problems during the run that he just put it out of his mind. If I remember right, Ultimate Experience mentions that the tapes either were not reviewed or just briefly reviewed before essentially being put aside until the 1980s.

I don't know why the decision was made to go with Smash Hits instead the live album (especially with as many strong tracks as were mixed and ready to go) other than the simple reason that a greatest hits-best of album with songs people already like would've been an easier sell. It certainly worked out that way and paid off in spades, I think it's Jimi's biggest selling album.

Matthew Tate and andrewskyDE like this.
  25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'm re-listening to the highlights CD right now.
    Where's Noel? His singing in 'Fire' is barely audible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.