The Jimi Hendrix Experience: Winterland

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maidenpriest, Jul 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

He's there, the mics just aren't picking him up :) It's that way on the *ahem* other recordings too.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Oh. So, was that a technical issue while capturing the shows or a 'decision' made in the post production? I'm so used to expect Noel in 'Fire'.^^

3. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

It's not a post recording mixing decision in this case.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  4. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

This...
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Like A Rolling Stone
    Is this single available in download format?
    I much prefer the Kramer mix to the Univibes CD mix.

SOONERFAN and JeffMo like this.
  5. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Every time a Hendrix Winterland thread resurfaces, I get depressed, angry, or demoralized.

It's such a wonderful thing that there is a fairly comprehensive EH box, but it could have been so much more.

(The inclusion of the interview just drives me nuts. All-the-while there's a version of Like a Rolling Stone sitting there doing nothing.)
    :disgust:

RyanC3082, SOONERFAN, David67 and 3 others like this.
  6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Is there a reason we got the box set instead of all the shows?

7. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Purple Jim and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Dr. Luther's Assistant

"So all in all, despite all the annoying flaws, this is a great box set with fantastic sound quality and some simply awesome music from The Jimi Hendrix Experience (but don't disgard your bootlegs of the complete shows)."

And you are absolutely correct, Purple Jim. I feel a little bit better. A little bit...

Purple Jim and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

Could you post this order as in
    D4T2
    D1T3
    etc so the rest of us can make playlists too? Would be very helpful!

10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

That would take some work because my master playlists consists of all the tracks re-tagged, they no longer have any reference to their original box set tagging. I found the concert set-lists online, then took the box set tracks and put them in their proper sequencing. I broke them up into three playlists; 10/10 (both sets), 10/11 (both sets), and 10/12 (both sets).

David67 and Rockin' Robby like this.
  11. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Cool idea

12. David67

David67 Forum Resident

Sorry, but if the Winterland box set is great then none of us would be griping about omissions, edits, audio and sequencing. Some fantastic music though.

Groovy Children albeit not perfect is a vast improvement over Winterland.

If only Experience Hendrix had released the aforementioned sets similar to Miles Davis's Cellar Door Sessions 1970.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    Tuck1977 and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Not musically at all. Buddy Miles drumming is at times laughably bad. Cringeworthy (not to mention a lot of his vocal interventions and the many songs that sort of grind to a halt because they simply fail as band performances).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. David67

David67 Forum Resident

I meant in terms of the overall product.

15. PacificOceanBlue

I disagree. Musically, quite a bit of the material is more diverse and challenging. Too many Experience staples started to become ordinary and their place on the Winterland box is no exception. How many times does one need to hear tired renditions of Purple Haze and Foxey Lady?

He was a limited player in general, yet he brought and certain drive and energy to the table that worked with quite a bit of the BoG material. And it isn't as if Mitch was exempt from substandard drumming; there are certainly examples of his own cringeworthy live work from 1970.

That being said, I am not prepared to say one set is better than the other. They represent two very different periods and bands. I would have liked to have seen the Winterland set more complete and the songs in their sequential order, but it still contains a number of inspired performances. Nevertheless, I have always loved the Fillmore East shows, and I generally get more satisfaction listening to the eclectic setlists and Hendrix's sensational guitar work from those tapes than I do from Winterland.

16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Well yeah, great guitar playing at the BOG performances but I wince all the way through because of the multiple sore points that I listed above.
    I'm also OK with more GREAT renditions of Purple Haze and Foxy Lady!

17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I know, which is why I specified "musically".

18. PacificOceanBlue

I guess we all get what we want out of the recordings. I can’t remember the last time I did not skip over some of those Experience staples from Winterland.

jhm likes this.
  19. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I need to pull Winterland box out again.

20. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Probably something often felt when listening to a recording of a show you’ve actually been to.

I’ve had the same experience myself.

Brian Lux likes this.
  21. I know the answer. Every. Damn. Time. they are played. :p

22. David67

David67 Forum Resident

If we're talking about full shows, then yeah Winterland is consistently much stronger than Fillmore though the latter has some incredible performances. Sadly, this is not reflected in the Winterland box set.

A couple of instances, Are You Experienced is butchered and Third Stone From The Sun doesn't even feature whereas Machine Gun and Stone Free can be heard in their entirety.

Gotta say, Foxy Lady and Purple Haze are side dishes when stacked up against Hear My Train A Comin', Are You Experienced, Red House, Machine Gun, Stone Free and Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

I've actually started keeping a log of which versions of Foxy Lady, Purple Haze and Fire I never need to hear again in a live setting unless I'm examining the entire set for a reason. This has increased my enjoyment of the live shows considerably.

24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes, a real shame that they got the scissors out on Are You Experienced (and mixed Virgil Gonzalves down).
    Third Stone From The Sun wasn't played at the Winterland (or anywhere else AFAIK).

Matthew Tate, jhm and David67 like this.
  25. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

I wouldn’t hold tour breath. It took years to just to get to this point. They should release the complete raw tapes on their Dagger line, without the involvement of Eddie Kramer.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.