The Keepers. Now Streaming On Netflix. Anyone Watching?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BLUESJAZZMAN, May 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People Thread Starter

The series explores the unsolved murder of the nun Sister Cathy Cesnik who taught English and drama at Archbishop Keough High School, and how her former students believe that there was a cover up by authorities after Cesnik suspected that the priest at the school, A. Joseph Maskell, was guilty of sexual abuse.

Watched the first 2 episodes last night. After the first I thought where we going with this? But at the end of the episode and throughout the second I was hooked. Very well directed and in the same vain as Making A Murderer but maybe a touch more sinister.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  2. BLUESJAZZMAN

Looks like I'm on my own :-(

3. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

Sounds interesting. I'm in the middle of a few other things, but I'll add it to my list!

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

My Wife and I are watching it. Lots of twists and turns. We just finished episode 6.

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  5. dryce

dryce Forum Resident

I saw this advertised recently. I'll have to check it out. It looks interesting.

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  6. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Just started. Like it so far!

I've recently really been into things like unsolved crime, which apparently a lot of people are into these days. I guess it's due to Making A Murderer.

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  7. mfidelity

mfidelity Senior Member

Started watching this but the graphic descriptions of the abuse is pretty hard to take. Does that continue throughout the show, or am I past it? I just finished episode 2.

8. BLUESJAZZMAN

Episode 2 is the most graphic. The remaining episodes are nowhere near that level of sexual graphic content.

9. BLUESJAZZMAN

Same here. I found it very haunting and although we do not necessarily know for sure that these things happened (although based on the number of victims that came forward the law of averages would say that it did) the lack of follow up's, paperwork and investigation is astounding!! That itself makes it interesting and only adds validity to the claims made.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  10. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

My wife and I watched the first two episodes last night, and are hooked - and outraged by the story. I had never heard of this case before.

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  11. applecakes

applecakes viva la vinyl

12. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Folks, the wife and I just binged watched this one. We were completely captivated.

I would surely like to read comments by those who watched this series.

So many questions...

I ask this one with all sincerity, and I don't mean to be offensive, I am just confused on this point:

What was Gerry Koob, the former priest/"boyfriend", referring to when he said the police investigator showed him the nun's vag**a? Was he actually implying that it was removed as part of the autopsy and the cop can just have it in the station house or some such? Wouldn't the autopsy record reveal the details of the procedure? I don't understand how he was questions more vehemently on this point?!

I know this topic is rather off-color and all, but it was an important part of the story -- Koob was a crucial character in this case, and it's important to understand all parts of his statement.

If the Gorts would rather this be handled off list, I understand. If anyone wants to PM with any insight, that'd be fine as well.

13. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

You would have expected some major doubt about this and it left me saying "Hold on a minute!". If it did occur I'd imagine the detective probably visited the local butcher, can't imagine anything but a straight denial.

I've watched all seven now and it's worth the investment, although it becomes something wider and doesn't resolve, what is now probably unknowable.

If you were gripped by this I'd recommend the 2012 film West Memphis, which is equally anger inducing.

14. BLUESJAZZMAN

For sure he was referring to "it" being placed in front of him although I doubt it belonged to the victim.

dryce likes this.
  15. BLUESJAZZMAN

Thanks for the heads up. I've seen this streaming on Netflix. Probably going to give it a try tonight!

16. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I'm skipping reading the comments till we are finished all 7 episodes. Holy christ this documentary is incredibly sad and disturbing. We made the mistake of watching it before bed :help:

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  17. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I watched the whole series when it appeared on Netflix after hearing an interview with the documentary maker on NPR.
    I do think "haunting" is a perfect description. I still think about the people and victims involved.
    It's difficult to not discuss the pure evil associated with and emanating from those who are supposed to be the Holy Liaison between earth and 'heaven'. Sickening, disturbing, and thought provoking.
    The final interview with "Jane Doe" was incredible, and one of the most affecting documentary moments I've ever seen!

18. BLUESJAZZMAN

I agree. I actually find the 'covering up' and 'brushing under the carpet' worse than the actual offense.

O Don Piano likes this.
  19. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

While I did enjoy the documentary, I thought it was REALLY poorly done. It could have been cut down in length to about half of what it is, which would have tightened up the story telling and made it a much better documentary. I found the amount of time they focused on the abuse in episode two a little much. Not to downplay what happened to them, but the impact of the story of what happened was dulled by the amount of time they spent on detailing what happened. I also found the ending kid of drifted petered out a bit in the last episode.

20. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

What a haunting documentary. As riviting and enraging as Making A Murderer but without any hype.

Something that I must be missing and can't find any answer for. I believe that Billy Schmidt who was one of those considered the prime suspect had a brother named Bob as its mentioned much in the series. Isn't it possible that he was the unidentifiable "Brother Bob" that was claimed to have confessed to Cathy's murder by Jean Hargadon?

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  21. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Didn't they explore that option? If I remember correctly, they just couldn't come up with anything.
    Might be wrong though.

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  22. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I just finished this up myself. I grew up not too terribly far from where all of this occurred, and I knew nothing of this story before. Granted, it happened before I was born (in 1972), and the re-opening of the case happened while I was in college.

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  23. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

That was my impression too. I'm glad I stayed till the end of Episode 1. Amazing that this all really took place. I just can't fathom that a priest was regularly raping a student in his office during school hours. How absolutely horrific.

It's also amazing to think some things like this will never be resolved. We get so used to the opposite in fictional movies.

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  24. Excellent series.

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  25. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Just finished watching and I was totally blown away. This series was more haunting than most horror films. I would wake up in the night a few times unable to shake the effects of it. Those women, especially Jane Doe, are incredibly brave and unrelenting. I feel for all the victims. It's really hard to watch and listen to, but it's worth it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.