The Killers - Wonderful Wonderful (LP5)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DorothyV, Jun 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident Thread Starter

pghmusiclover and Sean like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Great news! I've always liked those guys.

3. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

I haven't listened to the new song yet. I really liked Battle Born a lot and I felt like that album was panned. I saw them live for that Tour and was shocked they didn't perform the opening track of the album for the tour because it felt like it was part of that albums arc.

I really like the solo Brandon Flowers albums so I am sure I will like the new album. a friend was already texting me telling me how much he liked the music on the new track but found the lyrics really bad ... said the song will more than likely become a sports anthem or something to that effect.

4. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

the title track is the best one. Overall, the album sounds great.

John Adam likes this.
  5. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

I really like the new song they debuted live last night, The Calling. It does remind me quite a bit of Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode. I also enjoyed hearing Woody Harrelson quote the New Testament as an intro - I found it a bit bizarre in a cool way.

6. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

Picked up the cd at Target today. I am enjoying the album, but wondering/hoping if the vinyl is mastered better than the cd. I would say the exclusive Target remix of The Man by CRNKN is only slightly interesting and definitely not necessary unless you are a completist.

It is interesting to note that Dave Keuning is listed as a member of the band in the liner notes, but does not appear in any of the photos, while the rest of the band appear in six different photos on the back cover and in the booklet. Also, Dave only has song writing credit on on track, "Rut" (not on "The Man", as Wikipedia currently lists), and only is given a credit for even playing guitar on 5 (half) of the album tracks, which Jackknife Lee has guitar credit on all ten tracks, even the 5 where Dave is also credited. Obviously there is more to this then Dave just not wanting to tour - it looks like he didn't want to finish recording the album or show up for photo shoots for the artwork either.

I would say that this is definitely an improvement on Battle Born, with at least 4 super awesome tracks (The Man, Run For Cover, Tyson vs Douglas, and The Calling).

CrombyMouse likes this.
  7. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident

From The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, The Killers perform "The Man"...

8. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

The vinyl showed up on my door today and two spins in, the album lives up to its title.

9. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

I am downloading the rest of the album right now. Now listening.

Love the title track, it's something "different different!"
    "The Man," nice disco romp. "The Rut" sounds more Brandon-ish in vocal, more personal song. Also really liked Tyson VS Douglas.
    Rest are good to OK, the 2 remixes of "The Man" on the end are OK if your clubbing I suppose. Overall I wasn't disappointed.

Marble Index likes this.
  10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Over at thE bay people already - and unfortunately successfully - are trying to rip other people off with the limited pink vinyl that was only available in selected stores. This is getting a bit tiresome to be honest.

Undecided if this is The Killers album I'm stopping at. Bought "Battle Born" but have no real connection with it. On the other hand I wouldn't sell "Day & Age" as I somehow like that album....

11. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

It’s a shame that battleborn keeps getting thrown under the bus esp by Brandon, it isn’t a perfect album but several tracks are extremely strong.

Flesh and Bone is amazing. When you put it into the context of thinking about life and eventual death and how ever since his moms passing death is blended into a lot of Flowers songwriting Flesh and Bone is a wonderful achievement.

Be Still, haunting and what seems to be a song to one if not all of his children or perhaps even from his dad to him. It fits well into the album

And Battleborn the title track brings the album full circle.

I’m sure Brandon doesn’t begrudge the album so much because he tends to work constantly if the band doesn’t want to he does his solo thing. He is much like the song Flesh and Bone he thrivies on a work ethic that sadly two other members of The Killers can’t keep up with!

They both had their excuses for dropping out of this tour if one of them was their health etc is understnd but you are part of a great band in the prime of your life and you want to either stay at home with family or go to college?!? I call BS on it. I think they want to quit the band and if they do then bye. I’m fine with Flowers and Vannucci as the Killers.

I haven’t picked up the new album yet. Planning on it today with several variations it’s annoying because the deluxe was supposed to be out on the 22nd on CD but amazon pulled their listing for the original deluxe and never fulfilled my order and now their is a new listing with a date of this upcoming Friday for the release date. And then their is the Target edition that is just a bonus remix.

The Killers should make one deluxe edition that contains all the bonus tracks on CD ... this is their way of getting one more album sale here and there with hardcore fans.

mschrist, John Adam and enro99 like this.
  12. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

I don't agree with the number rating (this album is far too entertaining to be a 6.3), but the main point of Pitchfork's review (link to Pitchfork here) is right on the mark when it states that the Killers are the best on this album when they're ridiculous. I think "The Man" is both the best and the silliest song on the album.

JackDVD78 likes this.
  13. Fkrol

Fkrol Forum Resident

I am a couple spins into this album and I think it's good. I'm a little confused why they were saying it's a return to form after Battle Born, because it sounds pretty similar to Battle Born to me. Similar sound and vibe to most of the tracks. I liked Battle Born fine enough so it's OK by me. The track I warmed up to most quickly on the new one is "Money on Straight," which it turns out is a bonus track...

I still think the best Killers album is Day & Age. I'm sure that's an unpopular opinion, but overall it has the best melodies, variety in sound and is the most fun to listen to.

JackDVD78 likes this.
  14. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I haven't heard this yet but am seeing them live for the first time in November in Birmingham. If anyone's stuck for a ticket we have 1 spare at face value (PM me).

15. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a feeling that if Battle Born wasn't their least commercially successful album, the band wouldn't be so harsh on it.

I also suspect that Dave and Mark are both now financially set for life; hence, their desire to spend more time with family and/or finish college instead of touring. Though, since there was a 5-year gap in between Battle Born and the new album, why couldn't they accomplish those goals during that 5-year gap?

I also think that Day & Age is their most "fun" album - which is why I also love The Desired Effect.

JackDVD78 and Neonbeam like this.
  16. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

Got the album yesterday. It's not bad. Misses Dave Keunnings input. I don't think it's near as good as Battle Born. I am another Battle Born fan though, some really underrated songs on it. Brandon obviously wants to keep the Killers flag flying as there is money to be made. The Killers of ten years ago made some great commercial rock songs and Brandon is a superb singer live. I hope they keep going and dont collapse without a real guitarist.

17. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Don't care about "popular" but "Day & Age" is indeed a good album. I mean... yes.. it may not be cool but it's highly entertaining. And maybe the purest expression of what this band is all about. I still have kept a copy of the vinyl and I will continue to do so.

Fkrol and JackDVD78 like this.
  18. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Is the Deluxe Edition available in stores in the US? It looks like I might have to order it online, but I am not sure the 3 extra songs are worth an extra $10.

19. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Actually, I like 'em all but my fave is Sam's Town by a mile. This is a VERY unpopular opinion.

seaisletim likes this.
  20. Fkrol

Fkrol Forum Resident

Sam's Town is a strong album. I think almost all of the dislike for that album came from it not sounding like what people were expecting. If we really want to talk unpopular opinions, I like them all better than Hot Fuss. :)

mbrownp1 likes this.
  21. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I agree on your first point. Sam's Town sounded more organic than their previous material, especially with all the horns. I remember seeing them play "When You Were Young" with all the horns on SNL and being blown away by it. I immediately went and bought the record the next morning. As for your second point, I also agree. In fact, I hated Hot Fuss when it first came out. I didn't reconsider it until after Day & Age was released.

22. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Haven't heard the new one yet, but I'm also a big Sam's Town guy. Love it.

As of right now, here's how I'd rank 'em (and yes, I am counting Sawdust as an album, it's so good and flows a lot better than you'd expect).

1. Hot Fuss
    2. Sam's Town
    3. Sawdust
    4. Day & Age
    5. Battle Born

23. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I really like "Day and Age". Also, the vinyl goes for a ridiculous amount of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

24. Fkrol

Fkrol Forum Resident

Yeah, I don't dislike Hot Fuss by any means, but I never get the urge to listen to it, and I do get the urge to listen to all the others. To me, Hot Fuss kind of sounds like they weren't completely comfortable in their own skin as a band yet.

25. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.