The Kinks Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bvb1123, Apr 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian Thread Starter

I love Hatred! It's one of my favorite Kinks songs of any era!

Dave Hoos and strummer101 like this.
  2. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

oh, and Yo Yo

"He sits in the armchair, watching Channel 4
    But his brain's not expected home for an hour or more.."

Dang.

3. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

There was quite a bit of biting social commentary on British liked in the earlier days.

Quite a few songs had interesting twists. Was it Well Respected Man where in the end he turns out to be a molester?

And what became of David Watts. Inquiring minds want to know.

bvb1123 likes this.
  4. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

chickendinna and Dave Hoos like this.
  5. bvb1123

6. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Yep. Same one I've got. I like them both but prefer the '77 mix.

bvb1123 likes this.
  7. Dave Hoos

From a very good - and very underrated - album.

bvb1123 and strummer101 like this.
  8. Dave Hoos

Oh well. Now we have two threads.

Just in case one of them falls down the back of the sofa.

Bananas&blow, Keith V and bvb1123 like this.
  9. bvb1123

I'm listening to The Kinks 1st album for the first time. Surprisingly good for a first effort. The sound isn't quite there yet but there's flashes of it. Still a really good album.

rockerreds likes this.
  10. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know"

Here are a couple reviews I laid out in other threads. I own every piece of work of the Kinks. I love 'em from You Really Got Me to Phobia!

[​IMG]

Very Underrated

Side one
    No.
    Title Length
    1. "Life on the Road" -7
    2. "Mr. Big Man" -8
    3. "Sleepwalker" -10
    4. "Brother" -7
    Side two
    No.
    Title Length
    1. "Juke Box Music" -10
    2. "Sleepless Night" -7
    3. "Stormy Sky" -10
    4. "Full Moon" -10
    5. "Life Goes On" -10

[​IMG]

The Kinks "Think Visual"

AllMusic Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine
    Think Visual, the band's first album for MCA Records, represented an artistic dead end for the Kinks, as Ray Davies continued to crank out a series of competent, but undistinguished hard rockers. Out of all the loud, riff-driven numbers, only Dave Davies' "Rock N' Roll Cities" made a lasting impression. Ray's gentler songs weren't among his most memorable, relying on slight melodies and underdeveloped lyrics

From RS Magazine:
    In typically perverse style, Ray Davies kicks off the Kinks' debut effort for their new label with "Working at the Factory," a searing indictment of the industrialization of rock. The song finds Ray in a mood of pissed-off resignation, as if he's finally given up altogether on whatever remained of his rock & roll fantasy. Ray even points a finger at "the corporations and the big combines," which he blames for having "turned musicians into factory workers on assembly lines." And on the title track of Think Visual, Ray mocks the sort of bottom-line music-biz advice that gets thrown his way: "Marketing says we gotta merchandise/But economy says we gotta minimize huh/We gotta bud-get to face and the market place is full/Of competition, competition."

But don't expect to hear the Kinks talking tough like that on the airwaves — "Rock 'n' Roll Cities," the first single from Think Visual, is anything but a gutsy statement. This utterly uninspired tour song — written by Dave Davies around a woefully tired riff — engages in the worst sort of rock hucksterism. He even resorts to spitting out the names of a few cities, "from Buffalo to the Gulf of Mexico." This is the sort of desperate, airplay-seeking number that only a radio programmer could love.

Still, fear not, Kinks Kroniklers — all is not lost. Ray Davies continues to be one of rock's most intelligent songwriters, particularly on the slower material. "Lost and Found," for example, is a gorgeous ballad about a couple in New York City weathering their own storm as a hurricane sweeps across the coastline. And the melancholy "How Are You" is another of Ray's well-crafted songs of love and loss.

But one wonders why — aside from the obvious business concerns — Ray Davies needs the Kinks anymore. At this point, the group features as many original members of Argent as it does original members of the Kinks. While the playing on Think Visual is always competent, it's rarely more than that. And Dave Davies's two songwriting contributions — "Rock 'n' Roll Cities" and the equally boring "When You Were a Child" — indicate that the longstanding sibling rivalry between the Davies brothers may have outlived its artistic purpose. Think Visual is another acceptable Kinks album, but it's also frustrating.
    My take is obviously if you are coming here for prime Kinks-no way. But unfortunately the Kinks raised a high bar in their heyday.

If this was released by a band of lesser resume, the reviews might have been better.
    Here's mine:
    1. "Working at the Factory" – 2:58 Good opener -"9"
    2. "Lost and Found" – 5:19 Great song, should have been the title cut- "10"
    3. "Repetition" – 4:06 A little "repetitive" but I kinda like it-"6.5"
    4. "Welcome to Sleazy Town" – 3:50 Bluesy but passable-6.5
    5. "The Video Shop" – 5:15-Dated but there are tons of songs about things that no longer exist-"7"
    6. "Rock 'n' Roll Cities" – 3:43 (Dave Davies)-I realize the panning this song has received but watch the video you might have a change of heart-"7":
    7. "How Are You" – 4:27-Nice cut"7.5"
    8. "Think Visual" – 3:12-Nice hopscotch beat and drums-"7.5"
    9. "Natural Gift" – 3:44-Cruises right al"ong"7"
    10. "Killing Time" – 4:02-Underated cut-"8""
    11. "When You Were a Child" – 3:40 (Dave Davies)-This made up for "R&R cities"8"
    This album is not going to make anyone forget about VGPS, but I still listen on occasion still spin it 30
    years later. Overall 7.6
    For the rest... so many and so few... thank you
    In the meantime... Think Visual

Safeway 1, Mar 10, 2018 Report

11. bvb1123

Listening to Kinda Kinks. Its good but i think its the weakest of all the Kinks output I've heard so far. Don't get me wrong, I still like it but it's missing something, I just can't quite put my finger on what. Oh, and they should never have covered "Dancing In The Streets" I'd still rank it 7/10

12. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Sophomore slump.

john lennonist and bvb1123 like this.
  13. bvb1123

Definitely. Still a really good album though. Just not up to their standards.

14. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

15. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

[​IMG]

The Kinks (pop group) at recording studio with Mike Nesmith of the Monkees on Feb. 1st 1967.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  16. bvb1123

Great pic!

17. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Thanks great pic 67.

18. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know"

Make sure you have the deluxe edition, great bonus tracks, it will leave you with a better impression.

[​IMG]

19. bvb1123

Yeah I ordered that from Amazon. Haven't received it yet. I just listened to the standard album on Tidal.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Except maybe make it about two minutes longer.

bvb1123 likes this.
  21. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I don't think it's terrible as much as rushed. The first album is the worst of the early years for me. The band doesn’t really hit the stride with albums until Kontroversy, for me.

22. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Agree. I like Kinda Kinks, the songwriting and style is definitely a step forward from the primitive first album. But it does feel rushed, a little rough on the edges.

Dave Hoos and bvb1123 like this.
  23. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

As stated above, the Deluxe version will correct this perception.
    However, tracks that are on the regular album like

Nothin in the world will stop me. ( Featured in the movie “Rushmore” )
    Tired of Waiting
    Come on now
    So Long

Are among their best.

A well respected man and bvb1123 like this.
  24. bvb1123

True. Those are excellent tracks.

25. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Does anyone else think Something Else is overrated? It’s a great album but Funny Face and Love Me Till the Sun Shines really bring the album down for me.

bvb1123 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.