The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society - 50th Anniversary Super Deluxe Now Confirmed!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Sep 9, 2017.

1. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

whats left to release from village green after the great 3 cd set?

3. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Hope it's not just a re-packaging. Hi-res, 5.1, new outtakes... There are possibilities to offer new material.

4. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Do enough work parts exist to make a 5.1 mix? That's probably a question for Andrew Sandoval.

5. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

What? Surely the well is dry.

patient_ot likes this.
  6. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

If any album really didn't need a 5.1 mix it is this one.

7. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

There's no surving multi's save for Johnny Thunder, Starstruck & Days probably

8. sab

sab Forum Resident

It seems that the final 4 track multitracks also still exist for the song Village Green, given both the stereo instrumental mix on the 2004 Village Green 3CD Set, and the alternate stereo mix of the song found on the 2014 Anthology box set.

It is unlikely that any multi-tracks exist for the other songs that appeared on the 2014 Anthology box set (or else we would have had stereo remixes of those tracks on the set.)

However, for the songs on the album that did not appear on the 2014 box set, it is possible that the multi-tracks still exist. Given the mono instrumental mix of Phenomenal Cat on the 2004 VG 3Cd set, which does not sound like a vintage mix it appears that the final multi-tracks do exist for this song. With only the final stage multi-tracks, the song is basically a three track recording, with one of the four tracks (the high pitched "la-la-la" vocals, panned right in the stereo one being used in a few spots), so a 5.1 mix may not be that interesting. Assuming the final multi-tracks still exist, I would still love to hear a stereo remix of the song, given that most of the originally stereo mix is basically mono (except for the bridge and the end of the song. (And this appears to be have been intentional mixing decision, not the result of bouncing, as right before the start of bridge, both of Ray's double tracked vocals move from center to left, but not at the exact same time, indicating that the final 4 track master still has the two vocals on separate tracks. (All of the instruments seem to be one track, probably the result of a reduction mix.)

From what I've read Johnny Thunder is the only song where all the multi-tracks (pre-bounced and final still exist),
    although the stereo remix of Days on the 2014 box set may be a synch-up, given that another stereo mix from Andrew Sandoval was released on his podcast, featuring a single tracked lead vocal. Both the box set and the podcast stereo remix lack the tambourine in the final verse, heard on the original mono and stereo mix, which make me think this song featured three reduction mixes, and only two of the three multitrack stages (presumably either the first two or first and final stages) still exist.

quicksrt, Byrdsmaniac, crispi and 9 others like this.
  9. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Bring this on.

Rickchick and Mr. H like this.
  10. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Yes, it's frustrating how good the newly synced Johnny Thunder sounds - and we've been told that that's the only track that they could find all of the multis for - unless of course they've managed to unearth more tapes after all - now that would be interesting!

11. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Check out Prof.Stoned alternate (3 CD) deluxe version of this album.

12. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

It's a shame there can't be a 5.1 mix then, I think it would have been interesting with this album. Let's see what this edition has to offer.

13. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

Maybe we'll finally get a Ray Davies approved tracklisting for the proposed 20-track double album, as discussed here?

14. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

They've still never touched Ray Davies' home recordings. I don't think anything is really known about then but I suspect his personal recordings are vast.

15. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member Thread Starter

The new issue of Mojo (issue 291) states the album will be reissued in the autumn.

16. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

@Dave Hoos @John Fell @tonewheeltom

Small Faces are probably going to get my money with the 50th Anniversary edition of Ogdens Nut Gone Flake and The Kinks are probably going to get money from the same account with the 50th Anniversary of VGPS.

If Jeff Beck does a 50th for Truth, with the elusive mono mix mastered properly, then I'm moving to Mars.

17. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

me too

Vintage1976 likes this.
  18. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

I asked Andy Miller (author of the great 33 1/3 book about the album) if he was going to be involved in the 50th anniversary set. he said "Possibly."

19. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

The 2004 set was pretty damn exhaustive. Will be interesting to see what happens here. Hopefully, we'll get a better-sounding remaster, if nothing else.

Americana 2 is quite the title, too...

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

21. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

There’s color video of the original lineup performing a few songs off of Village Green for a TV show. Backing tracks were recorded, but the vocals were live. As far as I know, this is the *only* video of the original lineup performing material from that album, and it must have been one of the last appearance with original bassist Pete Quaife.

22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I would rather finally have the release of Autumn Stone than another version of Ogden's Nut Gone Flake.

23. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

There’s also the promo film for ‘Starstruck’, and if you want to stretch it to contemporary singles, the promo film for ‘Days’ that’s never surfaced in full but was glimpsed in Julian Temples 2010 doc.

24. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Please don't brick wall.

25. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Only problem is that the reissue of Autumn Stone is shaping up to be a massive anti-climax!

Surferghost and peachyg72 like this.