The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society - 50th Anniversary Super Deluxe Now Confirmed!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Crystal Tips

Crystal Tips Forum Resident

A dark and moist Autumn night. in London town. Just got off the tube at Highgate and dropped into "The Woodman" for a quick one. And who I see but Dave again, deep in conversation with some bald bloke. Not wearing his beanie this time - his long grey mullet flapping about. Just crawled up the hill and put the "Animal Farm" instrumental on whilst typing this. There's a lot in this box set and it'll grow on me but not as much new stuff as I'd hoped. Why has no-one nailed a good stereo "Wonderboy". Think I'll try one myself. I could knock on Ray's door and ask him but that would be impolite.

2. JohnKale

JohnKale Forum Resident

I wrote the company at the address posted earlier... [email protected] and they said it was a production error and that they would dispatch the missing photo as soon as they receive them. (I'm in the US and the UK division did NOT refer me to an american division).

On a bum note, I went to play disc four today and it was malfunctioning all through track 1 and 4. I took the CD out and looked it over and was alarmed by how many scratches it has. No idea how this could happen. All I've done is gently remove the CD from that silly foam contraption and slip all the CDs into separate white sleeves.

Anyone else have any issues? (CDs 1, 3 and 5 played fine. Still waiting to serve up CD 2...got to have something to look forward to.)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. JohnKale

JohnKale Forum Resident

On a different note, did anyone who owned one of the earliest CD transfers of VGPS find that the sound quality was so terrible that you found it hard to enjoy the album? Because I sure did. I now wish I'd kept it around to see how different it sounded to the 3CD and 5CD packages. But that original CD (never could find vinyl for cheap) convinced me that people were hearing something that wasn't there with this album. Now, of course, with these great sounding CDs and vinyl, I can't imagine not loving this album. Nearly the same thing happened with my original Forever Changes CD. In that case, I still had a vinyl copy to compare and the CD had this amazing amount of constant tape hiss. A crime against humanity.

4. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Animal Farm new mix on CD 3 sounds great! My favourite song on the Album.
    The new mix of Days is better than the one released on the Box Set The Anthology 1964 - 1971.

5. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

Do all the remixes on disc three mean the tapes have turned up since 2004, when we only got two songs remixed?

GetHappy!!, anth67 and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

NOS300B and alexpop like this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

8. JohnKale

JohnKale Forum Resident

I got a note back saying I'd be getting the missing photo once ready. So they respond.

9. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

What's the difference?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Ern

Ern Senior Member

I think it's mixed better.
    Some intruments like the piano, harmonica, mellotron, etc, aren't so buried in the 2018 mix.

11. Any DR numbers for this release? I've checked in the DR Database and didn't see anything.

Not that anyone should expect audiophile quality, but I'm curious nonetheless.

12. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

PhantomStranger and EVOLVIST like this.
  13. Actually, I disagree. Pay a premium for a deluxe box and there should be no blemishes, scratches or fingerprints. I return every time. But that’s just OCD me. :laugh:

PhantomStranger likes this.
  14. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I’m surprised by how good the material sounds despite the DR numbers. No you can’t crank up these songs to top volume without it becoming painful to the ears but to me the compression at normal listening volumes is not unpleasant and I feel is a distinct improvement on the 3 CD release.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  15. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

That always alluded me. I always thought it might've been melodica (think "Sunny Afternoon"), especially during the bridge, but simply blowing into the full range of my key of D harmonica matches up in spots perfectly.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    NOS300B and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. Cheers! I apologize. I had forgotten that someone had posted the numbers. It tells me that Oct. 27 seems like a long time ago, because I'm still waiting on my Bday to get my set. :)

Yeah, I mean, they aren't too bad. I find on some recordings I can listen to sustained DR8s depending on the EQ and other factors. Anything below that is generally a no fly zone, except if I'm listening to one song here or another song there.

I'm going to rip the vinyl, too, but of course I'm not expecting higher/false DR values inherent in vinyl. Plus, the way we process vinyl we get rid of TT noise and other artifacts, so there's nothing lurking beneath the skin.

At first blush, though, those mono numbers look pretty choice (for what it's worth). I prefer this one in stereo, for the most part, but I love the mono option.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    bmoregnr likes this.
  17. RETURN THE DAMAGED DEFECTIVE BOX. Simple. This is getting on my nerves. It’s either pristine, mint condition collectors item or it’s not. Whould you settle for a new car with scratches and dents or missing parts? Not me. Maybe a used car, but that’s not what is being sold. Many orders from EB Records before he folded (mostly Bear Family box sets) and not a single one damaged because it wad packaged and shipped correctly. If there were scratched discs, (a couple of times) back it went for replacement. I didn’t buy used I bought new. so many settle for crushed corners, scratched discs, missing bonus singles, whatever. Do not settle. You deserve what you paid for. A brand new, pristine Kinks VGPS LIMITED EDITION 50th anniversary box set. Period.

18. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

I did return it. And re-purchased from Amazon. It came in an outer box and arrived in perfect condition.

19. Has anyone received the aforementioned 6th autographed postcard?

20. ...and they aren't in the early pressings (from what I've heard so far and my set) but will be sent out to those who reach out to BMG.

21. Awesome! :edthumbs:

I’m just catching up to 15 unread pages in this thread. Happy to read that. If the sellers wind up with hundreds of damaged boxes and have to eat it, maybe they’ll get wise and stop the shipping games.

JohnKale and btltez like this.
  22. Plus it’s the bookend to all of the other Kinks two disc deluxe editions and in my world that means it is essential to be on the shelf with the others. At this point why jettison the 3 disc deluxe? Especially now that it’s confirmed to have tracks which are unique and not on the new box.

JohnKale, pobbard and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Not only that, personally I prefer the mono mastering on the 2004.

24. FREE! That’s amazing. So why stop there? Maybe he should be entitled to free Kinks Box sets too! :whistle:

25. I got rid of my old Castle CD (all of the Kinks titles) which to me sounded horrible.