The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society - 50th Anniversary Super Deluxe Now Confirmed!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Is this a recent post?

scottc1963 likes this.
  2. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

My bet - same content as old deluxe with material from third disc newly remixed + probably a couple of more backing tracks and remixes.

pobbard and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

I would totally buy a box set with reproductions of the covers of the different European releases.

4. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

....and, hopefully, remastered so that it isn't so loud.

omranger, Matthew Tate and abzach like this.
  5. hallucalation

It will be much brighter than 2004 of course. Like Legacy Anthology, i'm sure

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Why "of course"?

Why make even worse what was bad about the 2004 edition?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. hallucalation

You ask me? I'm not Dan Hersch

8. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

You said: "of course", Dan Hersch didn't.

So I am asking you - of course...:)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. hallucalation

If you have heard latest Anthology 5 CD set and previous Deluxe editions of 60's albums.. then probably we all know what to expect. Glad to be wrong.

10. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Yes, but the Muswell Legacy was much better so maybe some of the criticisms have been taken on board (different mastering team, I know.)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. With so many things on the 3CD 2004 reissue and the 2014 Anthology box set I'm really done when it comes to this album. I'm more excited about Americana 2, if it's going to be half as good as vol. 1 I'm in.

12. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

The mastering of the "Anthology" box set was beyond horrible...the worst yet. So I don't have any hope that the new set will be any better than the old one.

bobcat likes this.
  13. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i have the 3 disc release they put out. if multitracks are available i would give the 5.1 a visit.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. hallucalation

Beyond that which new material they could find? A couple of more backing tracks ala new Forever Changes deluxe?
    2004 set and Prof.Stoned deluxe is very exhaustive.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Well, they could have found all the missing demos/songs from the 'At the 11th Hour' and 'Where Was Spring' TV series.. not saying that's likely, but that's 'new' material they could find...

You Can't Give More Than What You Have
    If Christmas Day Could Last Forever
    We're Backing Britain
    Poor Old Intellectual Sadie
    Could Be You're Getting Old
    Just a Poor Country Girl
    The Man Who Conned Dinner from the Ritz
    That Is What the World Is All About

Darling I Respect You
    We Are Two Of A Kind
    Let's Take Off All Our Clothes

Not a bad quota of 'new' material that's potentially out there from that era, I say!

Plus, if they could undo the glaring omission of the 'Kinks at the BBC' set and include a DVD with at least the video of the 2 'One More With Felix' songs on it, heck, I'd buy the exact same audio content as before if it meant that I could get an official hard copy of those visuals. Bung on the 'Starstruck' and 'Days' videos too to make me extra happy.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  16. hallucalation

That would have been fantastic but i doubt they have tapes or Ray would allow this material to come out.

I have a great quality copy of One More With Felix and this surely deserve to come out officially. Also Days promo is tantalising (most likely made for Top Of The Pops)

Brettlowden, Matthew Tate and ajsmith like this.
  17. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

I don't have much hope for this set for several reasons...

- The remixes on the recent Monkees box were lousy in terms of the synchronization.

- The mastering on the most recent "early Kinks" releases has been horrible. Shrill, brickwalled crap.

- There isn't much left in the vault that they haven't released, unless there have been some new discoveries.

Let's hope this one turns out okay.

bobcat and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

Andrew posted it yesterday.

Hep Alien, Bonddm and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

A master of the mono mix (and the singles in a Past Masters/Stray Cats type-comp called Mono Kollectables) was available as part of the limited edition Mono CD box, and it was mastered quite similar to the Deluxes. The tracks were clearer than the 2004 mono master, but still mastered hot.

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

This would be the mother lode but as a long suffering cynical kinks kollector, I can't help thinking that if all or some of the above was available, it would be drip fed through the 50th 60th and 70th anniversary sets. A bit like Till Death Us Do Part and Pictures In The Sand appearing finally on Anthology.

Perhaps a stereo mix of King Kong?

21. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I have to agree with both accounts. @ajsmith has the idea of how to do it right, but @mjlynott gives us a reality check with what we're probably going to get. I really don't have a lot of expectations for this one and will just wait to see the press release(s), when that finally comes out.

Syscrusher likes this.
  22. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

And there’s 2 alternate mixes that appeared on the original 12 track album that didn’t make the 2004 set

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. hallucalation

Which ones?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. dave-gtr

dave-gtr Forum Resident

Call me a freak, but I would love a vinyl reissue of the original 12-track version of VGPS. This is how I first heard the album (1982ish, I was 18) and to this day, is the version that sounds 'right' to me. Nothing wrong with the more familiar 15-track version, but the original has a place in my heart/soul/memory/history. God Save (what's left of) The Kinks...

25. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Wicked Annabella and Starstruck.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.