The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society - 50th Anniversary Super Deluxe Now Confirmed!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Many thanks. I’ll definitely be purchasing the album.

2. Thomas Pugwash

Thomas Pugwash Forum Resident

I'll buy 5..!!

Here I am running through the "Oh happy days" track with Ray (off camera) in KONK. I still pinch many mounds of my blubber just thinking about the fun we had and the dream that was fulfilled for me then. GSTK.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Maseman66, Tord, nfmboss666 and 17 others like this.
  3. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Andy would be jealous as he told me he’s never met either of the Davies brothers!

4. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Feels like a suitable time to offer the opinion that "Gentlemen and Players" by the Duckworth Lewis Method is a track that evokes the best of the Kinks VGPS era and (to my knowledge) no one has ever been assaulted with a DLM album.

5. Thomas Pugwash

I find that the U.S copy of 'Wings Over America' is great for GBH. Thanks for noticing that I went full on VGPS on that track right down to the thinness of the sound and copious amounts of harpsichord.

6. Once again some folks don’t get the actual production costs going into these box sets. $150 is very reasonable and allows retailers to make a bit of profit. Looks like some places will sell for less and make less.

It’s not too expensive for what is included. Now too expensive for certain individuals is another thing but that can be said about anything over a certain price point.

7. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

The books alone in these things would retail for $30-$45.

TimeandTempo likes this.
  8. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

Andrew, I will buy this set because I love this album, and I think all of this is essential (and more) to anyone who loves this album. Thank you for your hard work, even though it isn’t being appreciated by everyone.

9. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Does it add much unreleased material that wasn’t on the 3-CD set?

10. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

depends on which set you want. super deluxe adds tons. 2 cd version is inferior to the 3cd unless the album proper sounds much better

11. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Thanks. Of those tons, what are the best enticements to buy?

12. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Llandrindod Wells

13. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

think you have to buy the whole super deluxe including all the vinyl and 5 cds to get the benefits.

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  14. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Nice town

rediffusion likes this.
  15. James spencer

James spencer Forum Resident

That's downright brilliant. Well done you!

16. Thomas Pugwash

I aim to please but avoid hitting the hit bullseye!!

17. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Wonderful!

Care to explain the origin of the Duckworth/Lewis method to our American friends?

18. Thomas Pugwash

Well it was me and Neil Hannon of The Divine Comedy changing the lyrics to some songs we were hawking around for other artists. A cricket theme was agreed in a Dublin pub one night and the rest is mystery.

If it's the origins of the method itself then there's this magical online device called Google. Go nuts. And you will.

CheshireCat, adm62, PJayBe and 4 others like this.
  19. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Laservampire and Bonddm like this.
  20. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

I
    It woulda been cool if Ray made new versions of those songs.

Tord and CheshireCat like this.
  21. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

So glad this is confirmed. It's an insta-buy for me. All I've ever had is the original CD issue.

FJFP likes this.
  22. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I disagree. A George Martin Kinks would be terrible IMO. He was too polished for his time. It worked for the Beatles but I can't honestly think of another artist he produced that I say to myself, "wow, I really like the production." I think the Beatles sounded good due to how much they were really involved and how they played their instruments. I guess one can argue the Kinks could have sounded that good with how they play. But to me, most Kinks stuff from this period sounds good because it is them playing with minimal overdubbing. There's more purity in their recordings. I'm not as picky as some people. I'm not one who thinks an old blues recording would sound better had it been recorded on 16-track with German microphones. It sounds good because someone pressed record with what they had, didn't overthink it, and captured the mood. If more albums sounded like VGPS, Face To Face, Something Else, etc., I'd be a happy camper. It's my personal taste (I get it), but I really find it hard to believe how people have a hard time thinking albums they completely adore don't sound good. You like it, right? It works. It's the Kinks sound. Accept and be happy it sounds the way it does (certain pressings and masterings aside).

23. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I wouldn't worry too much about the exclusive 7" as the single mix of Time Song is available in lossless flac on Qobuz.

24. As I said in my original post, I love The Kinks and I love this album :)
    I understand your points, there is a purity and a spontaneity about their recordings that may have been compromised should they have been too 'produced.' There's always a balance to be had.

Surferghost and FJFP like this.
  25. Me, on the other hand, I don't get your post. I mean, I get it, but it's illogical on an audiophile forum where people get together to discuss sound quality.

You're saying to forget about sound qualify. This is like going into a factory that makes cheese and asking where are all the cookies.

So, are you buying this set? If you do, since you already have at least one copy of this album, will you care how it sounds? Seemingly not, from what I'm reading, and if not, why buy?