The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society - 50th Anniversary Super Deluxe Now Confirmed!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Sep 9, 2017.

1. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

I’d rather the box have a DVD or Blu-ray with the original mixes in 24/96, rather than all that vinyl that’ll drive up the price, probably not be pressed well, and make this thread dozens of pages longer with people talking about exchanging it. :p

2. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

I've suggested moving everything out of the spare room so the CD's/DVD's/LP's and books can have a room of their own. I think they're too old to share a room with us anymore.

Mrs.Hoos thought I was joking. :oops:

3. I agree with this, that's the one song that could really do with a clean up. And 'Johnny Thunder', yes I know there's a cleaned up version but they should use that version for the album. 'Monica' is a bit ropey sound-wise as well.

Man at C&A likes this.
  4. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

There are lots of "what ifs" with Little Women. I've read it was recorded in the same sessions as Lazy Old Sun the first time the Kinks used a Mellotron.
    Doug Hinman suggests Lazy Old Sun is "like a poem read over an impressionistic backing" I wonder whether Little Women was a potential alternative backing track for the Lazy Old Sun lyric (spoken word obviously) and by Mick Avory

5. Pinstripedclips

Pinstripedclips Forum Resident

There isn't any mellotron on Lazy Old Sun.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

While I don't know for certain, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the musical effects on the song weren't in fact Mellotron in origin, particularly the trumpet.

NOS300B likes this.
  7. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

pretty sure the horns at the end are from the Mellotron like Lavender Hill. Doug Hinman states its the first session where a Mellotron was used

NOS300B and googlymoogly like this.
  8. Pinstripedclips

Nah, that's a real trumpet on Lazy.

Maybe there was one at the session, but it's not on that track.

LH has mellotron indeed.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  9. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Looks like Joe Rogan agrees that "Lazy Old Sun" features the Mellotron, too. Ray Davies

NOS300B and mjlynott like this.
  10. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

I'd like to think it was real too but nah. just like Berkeley Mews is a saxophone sample from the Mellotron as is the intro from phenomenal cat. I think the orchestration on Two Sisters is the real deal though

NOS300B likes this.
  11. Pinstripedclips

That is not a mellotron on LOS. Far too clear and lacking in wonkyness of the mellotron trumpet on the MKII, it does not sound like that.

Lil clip of me using the mellotron trumpet sound as heard on She's A RAINBOW.

Mellotron all over 68 recordings. No dispute there.

12. Pinstripedclips

One author influencing the other. Neither probably very familiar with playing mellotrons or the sounds of a MKII. :)

Dave Hoos likes this.
  13. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Pretty sure the orchestration on Two Sisters is real; isn’t it from the same session as Village Green which is also properly orchestrated?

I also think the sax on Berkeley Mews is real; like Pinnedstripedclips says with the trumpet on LOS, it sounds too clear and un-wobbly to be mellotron.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Wait...they cleaned up The FLINTSTONES???

15. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

Two Sisters is on the same session as Village Green

In the latest Village Green deluxe it mentions the Berkeley Mews sax part as being a Mellotron tape loop. Ive also heard the same sample at the end of Nirvana's St John's Wood

I hope the horns on LOS are genuine

16. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Ah, I stand corrected. It fooled me anyhow; I always imagined them pulling some sax player out of the pub and into the studio, but if the same loop occurs elsewhere I guess that proves it. It’s funny when that happens; the Phenomenal Cat intro is also at the beginning of a mid 90s Yes track, which is kind of odd to hear.

NOS300B, mjlynott and pablo fanques like this.
  17. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

That was "Dead End Street", wasn't it? Love that story.

KinkySmallFace1991 and ajsmith like this.
  18. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Gosh yes I would much prefer high resolution stuff - flac files or blu-ray. They take up less room. I am getting to a point of being product out and finding homes for these releases is hard- my fault I know but I am a fan of a number of 60s and 70s acts.
    I guess (I do not know) this will possibly come out Novemberish along with a lot of other box set stuff.

19. Pinstripedclips

Yeah, the sax phrase is from the rhythm and fills side of the MKII mellotron.

I made a lil track featuring that selection, i'll upload it for reference.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    swedwards1960 likes this.
  20. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Yeah, probably what I was thinking of.

KinkySmallFace1991 and Dave Hoos like this.
  21. Pinstripedclips

I used the foxtrot rhythm and sax phrases (mentioned above) along with the 3 violins, organ, and rock guitar lead sounds.

ajsmith likes this.
  22. Funi

Funi Forum Resident

Lovely! :)

Pinstripedclips likes this.
  23. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

There are also some John Lennon home recordings from this period with him using the same sample.

ajsmith and Shaddam IV like this.
  24. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

I happened to listen to the Lennon Kenwood demos last week and... Yup. That little phrase came on and I knew right away, it had to be part of a standard mellotron thing.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  25. Funi

Funi Forum Resident

Yeah! Reportedly John, immediately after seeing a mellotron for the first time, said: "I want it!".

(Well, almost every time he saw a new tool made for music he said "I want it!".) :p

cwitt1980 and Shaddam IV like this.