The Kinks 'consider' re-forming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gkmacca, Nov 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I'd love to hear a Ray live album where he does '60s tracks (not unlike the one concert I saw). Dave came out with one not long ago. But I'm not sure how Ray feels about that. I'd thought he would have released something like that by now.

I have all of Ray's recent studio albums, but I don't like them as much as I thought I would.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. augustwest

augustwest Forum Resident

The Kinks 'consider' re-forming

but, Why?
    They've said everything they could possibly say, let it lay in peace.

Tristero likes this.
  3. Beatle Ed

Beatle Ed Forum Resident

Yes I tend to agree. The moment has probably passed. If they were at this stage in the '90s / early 2000s, when Quaife was still around, I'd have said do it. They could have played a few showcase gigs playing a few of the key LPs in their entirety (e.g. Village Green, Something Else, Face To Face etc. with Quaife, Arthur, Lola etc. with Dalton) and released the results on DVD. They weren't so old then either and would still have been able to present themselves in a credible way. Still also pretty much on form, with the latter version of the band having only recently come to an end / all generally in good health etc. The Kinks have an enduring legacy and back catalogue that is perfect as it is, so there should be no urge to go back and re-visit without a very good reason (unless, of course, they KNOW they can go back into the studio and produce one last LP out of the hat which will sit favourably with the best of their old stuff, to sign off on a high note - a tall order though).

Tristero, Ludger and Davmoco like this.
  4. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I'm confident a reformed Kinks could make a new studio album that was better than any of their 1986 - 93 material with relative ease.

5. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I'm surprised too......after his last 2 albums rehashed Kinks songs with the khoir and special guests, why not do a live album of Kinks songs next?

I love Other People's Lives and Working Man's Café, and prefer them to a lot of post-Misfits Kinks. Then again, those aren't recent albums anymore.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Beatle Ed

Beatle Ed Forum Resident

Yes, I am too - that shouldn't be too difficult. But whether or not it equals Village Green, Arthur etc. is the question. It has to stand up to their very best work in order to even be perceived as any kind of success!

Probably a studio thing at this stage would be the best thing, if they can come up with something that sits well with their best work yet offers a new angle on things.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

I hated it when people knocked late period reunions by The WHO, Beach Boys, Beatles ( 1994-5) recent Zombies lps with only Argent & Bluestone, or Stones new album etc etc.

I like a lot of that stuff, & would love to see a last Kinks album. If they do it & some don't like it, or buy it, that's cool, but until they do it & you or I hear it, how can you be negative about music you didint hear ?

I was sure every McCartney album of the 21st century would suck because he was already 58 at the turn of 21st century. But in fact I hated the one when he was 58, but loved the ones when he was 64, 66, 67 & 71 !!!!!!

A new Kinks album might suck, it might be great, or they might get in a fist fight after 3 songs...

I love Dave Davies last 2 albums. I love Other People's Lives & Workingman's Cafe & the duet with Chrissy Hyndes...the choral album was ok, I hated the guest star duets of Kinks hits uggh...

But somebody said why or what possible reason ? Cause I love their music & would love to hear one more, I'd love it to be great, I have high hopes for Rays upcoming Americana album..

If it gets done & sucks then I blew $15 bucks & I'll be sad my heroes crumbled with age, but encourage the guys, halalooya, hallelujahs we live in a great world where maybe we'll get one last Kinks album oh my God

I didin't like their last 3-4 albums in the 90s at all, hated some of it, but why not want them to try ? It doesn't lessen the Kinks or them as humans or men, if they do o e last album. But I'd sure like one for next Christmas, I like some of the recent Zombies albums, parts of John Lodges new album, I loved Endless Wire, I liked the new Pink Floyd song that had singing on it...I choose to hope they do !!!!

D.B., Zeki, DwarfMcDougal and 3 others like this.
  8. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Recent photo of Dave, he's looking healthy. Its Ray we have to worry about...:sigh:

[​IMG]

Bullis likes this.
  9. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Could you maybe lower the bar slightly?

strummer101 likes this.
  10. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Phobia was certainly hit and mostly miss, but I got into the kinks through UK Jive, and I love that one. Is it Lola or Village Green? No. It introduced Gen Xers like me to them, who only vaguely knew the old hits. It actually sold moderately well, so some people liked it.

11. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

No, not certainly.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

According to The Kinks Official Facebook Group, bassist Jim Rodford died this morning. Jim played the bassguitar from 1978 until the end in 1996.
    He was 76. RIP Jim.

"I got a phone call from them, saying, “We’ve got an American tour coming up—are you free?”
    After my first month, Ray just stopped me on the street one day and said, “Do you want to make it permanent?”"

- Jim

13. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Dammit! :shake:

John Bliss likes this.
  14. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Oh no. I've never heard any of his Kinks work, but he provided many fine moments as bass player for The Zombies (he is Rod Argent's cousin) when I saw them. A huge loss.

John Bliss and FJFP like this.
  15. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

I distinctly remember him stealing the show when I saw the Kinks at the Paramount in Seattle in 1984 or 85. A great player.

16. I love the Kinks' records, but they weren't that great live 50 years ago, I can't imagine they'd be much good now.

But God bless 'em and save 'em, if they want to go on the road, more power to them (they'll need it).

J_D__ likes this.
  17. Benjamin Zwickel

Benjamin Zwickel Active Member

When I was in my teens I was a mega Kinks fan (to many of my friend's dismay).

I recently listened to several of their recordings and found many of them rather sophomoric.

Of the plethora of songs the Kinks recorded I can honestly say I would only want to listen to a couple dozen of them these days.

Then again, if they were to do a live performance of "Soap Opera" I have to admit I would stand in line to see that :edthumbs:

Dog Ear likes this.
  18. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Shouldn't that be 'konsider'?

19. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Sorry to hear about Jim Rodford's death. Unfortunately, deaths like that will be common the next few years as that generation ages.

John Bliss and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I saw soap opera in the 70s. It was a fun show.

21. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The Kinks were going through a rough patch live performance-wise in 1968 (50 years ago), but there were many other periods of time when they definitely were a great live band.

22. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

RIP

I was fortunate enough to see Jim play bass with The Kinks on The Low Budget Tour and for the final tour in 1996.

D.B., Matthew Tate and warewolf95 like this.
  23. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

@Dave Hoos

RIP Jim. His grooving on “Superman”, “Come Dancing” and the whole To The Bone LP was just pure gold.

Listen to the bass line here and you’ll all see what I mean:

24. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Wow bad news... This should get a thread of it's own, one started by a more proper Kinks expert than myself. I'm a longtime fan, but it's only now that I'm collecting the discography and digging deep.

25. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Frankfurt 1984!
    Frankfurt 1984!
    Frankfurt 1984!

If anyone hasn't seen this concert, do yourself a giant favor and go to youtube right now and watch it.

One of the hottest, most energy-packed and exciting concerts I've ever had the pleasure of watching.

Freaking sick! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.