The KISS Remasters from 1997-1998

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rock76, Nov 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rock76

rock76 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello everybody

This is my first post.
    I've been reading the differents threads on this forum and I've found them very informative and interesting. I'll surely gonna learn a lot just by reading.

Being a Kiss fan myself (from their glory days not today's embarrassing version), I'd like to know your opinion about the Kiss' catalog remasters released in 97-98. Do they made justice to the original vinyl releases?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Regards,
    Rock 76

2. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Welcome aboard!

I've only heard the Destroyer remaster and I like that one a lot. The vinyl was never that great sounding to begin with, so I am quite content with the CD.

Sean

3. rock76

Rock and Roll Over and Creatures of the Night sound amazing. Very crisp sound.

4. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I am a hugh Kiss fan and the CD's are very close to the vinyl. hey sound great. A remastered catalog done right! (Except for the horrid Xerox like covers for some of the artwork)

5. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

Must agree. The Kiss Alive remastered cd that I own is much better than the original vinyl. Just goes to show you have to take these things on a case by case basis.

6. Pug

I totally agree with you. I forgot that I also have "Unmasked" on CD and the artwork is terrible. :mad:

7. bartels76

You can't even read the story. I can't believe the artwork was tossed so they had to use copies.

8. Pug

I could have done a better job scanning the LP cover and cleaning it up in Photoshop.

9. bartels76

I actually kept the original Crazy Nights booklet and sold the remastered booklet w/ the original CD. I was so fed up.

10. rock76

I also thought of doing that. But at the last moment I kept the remaster as it is.
    I wanted to have the remastered CD as a whole (with the ugly xerox like cover included as well ) :rolleyes:

11. MrMudPuppy

MrMudPuppy Forum Resident

Hey Rock 76!

I like the KISS remasters a lot :edthumbs: Especially Alive. Speaking of today's embarrassing version, check out Bob Rivers parody "I Used to Rock And Roll All Night". I may be a fan, but I'm also grounded in reality :D The clip available in the link below, streams the entire song.

http://www.bobrivers.com/store/store_detail.asp?ProductID=6

Welcome aboard!

12. rock76

Very nice parody. And full of truth specially. :D

13. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Personally, I don't like 'em.

14. Why Not?

Take care,
    Brett

15. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

KISS or the 97-98 Remasters?

16. Pug

Or both! :eek:

17. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Love KISS :) The remasters are a bit bright for my tastes.

18. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

So you prefer the vinyl, or the original CDs???

19. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

I'd sure like to find vinyl that's both inexpensive and non-trashed. :laugh: For now the original CDs will do, but they're not perfect...

20. rock76

Ebay's a good place to find Kiss vinyl in fine condition. And the best of all, at affordable prices.

21. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

The original CDs, remastered by George Marino were clearly not from first-gen master mixes in some cases. Hotter Than Hell and the first two Alive albums had sonic glitches such as white noise, etc. The others weren't bad, but the remasters are clearly the way to go.

Take it from a longtime KISS fan (27 years and counting) - the remasters sound great, have replicas of the original liner notes and packaging (even the booklets from the live albums are there - albeit in much smaller form) and can be gotten very cheaply, either as "sound savers" budget line items or used. :righton:

22. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Word of warning for non-US forum members who may be interested in the remasters: the replicated packaging for Alive II and Double Platinum are only available in the US. In Canada, Alive II doesn't contain the tattoo sheet, and Double Platinum has a cheap-looking printed reproduction of the cover instead of the original embossed foil packaging. :rolleyes:

23. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Strange to see so many positive remarks about remasters here. I have done tons of A/B tests with original CDs and found remasters to be kinda bright and very unnatural. Typical modern remastering. Original CDs, while clearly not on LP sonic level however sound really good. Now i was VERY tempted to get the japanese mini-replicas (similair to US remasters) but just could not stand the sound!

Dynamic Ranger and driverdrummer like this.
  24. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

The problem with the original KISS CDs is that inferior tapes were used on some of the discs, particularly Hotter Than Hell and that the sonic deficiencies stood out like a sore thumb. I think it's wrong to generalize, as many remasters improve greatly on the sound of the originals. The KISS CDs sound much better in their remastered form and in my mind are the definitive versions - unless of course, Universal unlocks the vault and does a "deluxe version" of one of them.

Ariel Aditya likes this.
  25. EricF

EricF Well-Known Member

Anyone know if the Creatures of the Night remaster is the same mix as the original vinyl? Didn't the mix get changed for the original cd release?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.