The Knack "Get The Knack" Mobile Fidelity MFSL SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RnRmf, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I have japanese pressings. Both lp and cds purchased through the years. But see Im not the one coming into countless threads espousing the great virtues of how great nearly every japanese pressing is compared to mfsl. I know better. And so do others. Youre the one thats lifting up (or rather negatively putting down mfsl) japanese cds and saying that mfsl doesnt hold a candle to the japanese cds.

So, I ask again. Prove it. Lets hear some samples. Throw up a 30 second sample of each. They'll allow it. But heck since these japanese pressings are so far above and beyond greater than mfsl Id think 10 seconds should just knock us right out of our seats as far as the difference.

And be sure and put up a sample of every japanese cd and mfsl you own so everyone can know just how the japanese cds kill every other pressing.

But you wont. Why? Because that is such a BS claim and you cant prove it.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

Grow up dude. Getting rattled on a music forum just isn't worth it. Ignore me and move on.

3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Because I responded to something I totally disagree with Im rattled and need to grow up? Nah, I just have had enough experience with japanese pressings that I am quite aware of how the hype goes. Maybe you shouldnt rattle on about how ****ty most mfsl are by throwing up pressings that are many times known to come from inferior sources, lean towards being on the brigh side etc etc. and expect not to be called out by folks who know better.

Yes, there are some that are great sounding. But just like mfsl not every japanese cd is a winner.

oopap likes this.
  4. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

I'm so glad you "called me out." Now the world can see how wrong I am. Forum members will be sleeping soundly this evening. :laugh:

5. Just to do a follow up, I received the MFSL SACD copy of 'Get The Knack' which I ordered from MoFi, and it is number 000098. I haven't listened to it yet so I cannot comment on audio quality, however when I do, I will post my thoughts here.

Carlox likes this.
  6. Oh good. That is exactly what @Say It Right was waiting to read. Now he will definitely enjoy his weekend. :wtf:

Tullman and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  7. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

I have the Larry Walsh 1989 CD and I like it a lot. Has anyone compared this new version with that original CD release? I do know about the censoring of "she's so selfish" on the 1989 disc, so I'm asking besides that.

8. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Another entry to include on my Excel spreadsheet.

S. P. Honeybunch and Tom34772 like this.
  9. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Use Access if you want to create reports.

Tom34772 likes this.
  10. :biglaugh:

Say It Right likes this.
  11. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Just got mine in the mail yesterday (000095). I can't play it too loudly. Some of the vocals are a bit piercing at loud volumes. But I am very sensitive to highs so the OP who said that it is on the edge of being too bright, well, my hearing takes it just over that edge. I imagine that what I find "warm" others might find a bit dull sounding.

RnRmf likes this.
  12. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Ok....despite saying earlier in this thread I didn't need this because I already have too many different versions etc........I bought it! :)

Listened the other night at full volume and quite frankly was not impressed - but honestly, I don't know what I was expecting. I compared the MFSL today to the HdTracks 24/192 and by way of comparison, the MFSL is more detailed sounding. The bass is tighter and punchier as are the drums - cymbals are more discernible. In regards to the latter, one specific example is Bruce Gary's ride cymbal in "Oh Tara" - specifically the, "I Can't explain no I don't know how" part.

So.....I prefer the MFSL over the 24/192 file. Next step is to compare it to original vinyl. I assume the 24/192 is the Vic Anesini master - anyone know for certain?

JQ

Carlox and RnRmf like this.
  13. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member Thread Starter

I gave in and bought the 2016 SHM remaster and it's on the way. i'm interested to compare with the MFSL and others.

I would have thought the 24/192 was the Anesini remaster but who knows.

14. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

I bought both the MFSL and the Anesini version. I prefer the Anesini. I agree with the "too bright" mastering on the MFSL. IMHO.

Thanks for everyone pointing out the 2011 remaster! :cool:

15. bellbrass

bellbrass Forum Resident

I just received the recent MFSL, and I like it better than my original 80s CD. The brightness is a bit hot, yes, but the overall detail is amazing. Plus, I listen without additional EQ (SACD player direct to Class A headphone amp), so it really doesn't sound that bright to my ears that way. If I ran it through a typical post-EQ, a la receiver / player, then I could see it being too bright.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  16. RatFarm

RatFarm Forum Resident

The MFSL is the best version I have hear of this album. Very punchy and dynamic.

17. I'll add my endorsement to this version too. played it - SACD layer - for the first time today and it's a winner. Haven't played the previous remaster in a while but as I recall it sounded very good. This is a notch above that and to my ears this should do it for Get The Knack. I can't imagine it's going to be improved upon. Thank you MOFI. Keep the SACD machine a hummin', especially with titles like this that haven't previously been released on the format. :righton:

Juggsnelson likes this.
  18. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Has anyone pre-ordered the MFSL vinyl??? I'm having a tough time justifying it, but I sad that about the SACD too :)

19. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member Thread Starter

not yet, but I like the SACD more with every listen

johnny q and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  20. 2trackmind

2trackmind Forum Resident

How do the drums sound on the MFSL? Does the snare drum have a good bit of attack? That's one thing I've always found lacking in previous digital masterings of this album.

21. Better in my opinion.

RnRmf and johnny q like this.
  22. bellbrass

bellbrass Forum Resident

I always thought the drums sounded great on every mastering I've heard: the original US vinyl, the reissue I got sometime in the late 80s, and this version. So, I can't say whether or not the snare has more attack than previous versions, but I can say that the drums are right there where they need to be....the snare doesn't sound modern or 80s by any stretch, but I love the production/sound in general and this mastering.

23. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

I really, really like my Pastmasters II CD (Transient city.) and I
    don't have a SACD player so I'm passing on the MFSL.

But I sure dig people's passion for sound 'round here.:thumbsup:
    Great album.

24. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

East, Central, or Western PA?

In any event, there are a few ways new mastering work can be bested by 32XD or other original mastering work. One is, of course, the mastering engineer. If, say, Kevin Gray is involved, then the only rationale for believing legacy mastering work will be better is if the source tape is inferior (damage, etc). Finally, if comparing DSD to PCM, then a given DAC can be better designed for one or the other.

So, in this case, Mofi mastering work should best an old Japan CD. I wouldn't bet against that right now. Keep in mind that more detail is not often the friend of an audio system which isn't up to the task. Inconvenient, but it's true.

25. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

I had the original CD when it came out, then the ICONO Anesini which quickly became my go to version,
    but for me now the MOFI SACD is the one. I'm all set on this title.

DPM and RnRmf like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.