The Laser Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cake, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

In the demonstration I attended, the BIG selling point was the ability to play severely worn and damaged records. This is done by focussing the laser on the undamaged portion of the groove. The difference in soun between reading the worn section and a less worn section was dramatic. The adjustment was also very easily done--it was a matter of turning a knob.

Whether the system is capable of truly high fidelity reproduction of well cared for records is another matter. The makers tend to do auditions using less than great other components in the system.

2. Stump

Stump Forum Resident

I have one on order.It is 30 year old technology BUT they are continuing to make improvements over the years .I will keep you posted with the results!
    Stump

3. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

How do these things deal with records that are cut off centre?

4. Stump

Stump Forum Resident

I would expect same as a Turntable!

5. Kovinis

Kovinis New Member

I would like to speak with you to find out what equipment I would need to restore some broken 78's. They are home made recordings my Dad made of family members back in the 30's.

ALAN SICHERMAN likes this.
  6. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Home made records aren't 78's, as in they are not shellac. If they are from the 1930's, they would be uncoated aluminum. If they are paper records, or coated aluminum, they would be a little later than that, from the 1940's.

7. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I recently found one of the ELP demo discs, I recall there being others but those are long gone… anyhow, this one has some material that most of us are familiar with, if you wanted to judge the merits of this turntable based on a 16/44.1 sample. Perhaps I can upload a bit.

8. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

One advantage I can think of would be speed stability. Since there is no stylus, there would not be any "drag" in the groove to slow the turntable down. And since there is no stylus-caused vibration in the groove, a massive platter, mats, etc. to damp it are not needed. A flyweight platter would be just fine.

9. Kovinis

Kovinis New Member

My Dad actually made both. I have transferred the aluminum discs, although some of the coating has flaked off on some of them. The ealier ones from the late 30's - early 40's are what we used to call glass and several have cracked into several pieces. I was hoping that some of the new technology such as the ELP would be able to play them well enough to transfer to a digital medium. You mentioned that you have been able to restore such items. I'd like to know the setup and if you'd be willing to assist me with this project. I am also in Western NC.

10. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

I had one of these back in the early 90s. It was a similar technology as used in the early video disc players (remember those, you had to flip the disc over half way through a film).

I didn't keep it for long as it was a pain in the proverbial to use. I spent more time cleaning the record than listening to it and it didn't sound as good as my LP12. I suppose today's technology could improve things but I think the the way vinyl attracts dust makes it a formidable obstacle to overcome.

11. Gilliam

Gilliam Well-Known Member

One drawback: it costs $15,000

[​IMG]

12. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Wasn't this done about 10 years ago?

13. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

14. Gilliam

Gilliam Well-Known Member

Yes in the video he acknowledges it is old technology that was never pursued because the vinyl LP format was considered dead.
    No with the vinyl comeback maybe this will be developed and come to market with the eventual price decrease.
    My 10 year old boy has a portable turntable. My teenage nieces bought a turntable. I see vinyl LPs stocked in the store now.
    It's back and appealing to a new generation.

15. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Why would anyone buy one of these when they can get a Crosley? :cheers:

16. atbolding

atbolding Forum Resident

Well, I like the aesthetics of this new version. It probably still has all the same problems with noisy vinyl as the old one.

17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Why would anyone want an Oppo CD player when they can just buy one of these? :)

[​IMG]

The Pinhead and wgriel like this.
  18. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

No stylus? That just sucks the jam out of the donut dosent it?

19. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Love the technology and potential, hate the price. I've followed this on and off for the past 10 or so years and it seems the distributors who handled the piece in the US had problems with the company...and, for me, more worrying is just that for the money, many people have said you can get far more SQ for less using conventional TT technology.

But the idea of playing records like that is still attractive. I have yet to hear one.

20. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Will the tray and laser wear out as fast as many CD players do ?

21. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Looks cool, but records weren't designed to be played by a laser. Gotta wonder about the wear on the vinyl long term. At 15k it doesn't much matter though, if you've got that kind of dough for a turntable, you have enough to replace worn records.

The Pinhead likes this.
  22. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

There is no wear, that's kind of the point. And that the lasers can actually play through worn records as you can adjust where the laser picks up - basically going very deep into the groove.

But I heard the main con (outside of the extreme price) is that the laser also picks up on all the dust/debris so vinyl sounds more crackly than on a conventional TT. Or so I've read. :shrug:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    forthlin likes this.
  23. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

Yeah, that's (apparently) the thing: listening reports on previous attempts at the laser turntable have been kind of disappointing because even small specks of dust create noisy playback.

24. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Bet it does !!!:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.