The last integrated amp I will ever need

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by lonelysea, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers Thread Starter

Surprised there is no love yet for Esoteric. I know there are many here who own and praise their high end CDPs. Are their amps not equally impressive?

2. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Some excellent suggestions. I would probably go for a Pass INT-250, but units by T+A, Soulution, AVM, Boulder, Burmester, Constellation, D'Agostino, Plinius, Simaudio, Modwright would also be worthwhile to check out.

3. lonelysea

Yeah, who knew there would be so many capable, high end integrated amps?!
    The D'Agostino Momentum (which I've heard) is way too rich for my blood, and it would be absolutely criminal to hide that thing away in a rack system!

Preston likes this.
  4. IanL

IanL Senior Member

For Pass Labs, what about the INT-150? It is no longer in production, but could be found used, usually around $4K. 150 wpc Class A/B, shouldn't get too hot. I had the INT-30A, which was all Class A, and did get hot (though nothing compared to my present Line Magnetic 518ia). But it was one hell of an amp, and the 150, although with a lot more power and Class A/B, is the same basic design, as they were released together.

lonelysea likes this.
  5. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

That should open a lot of doors. Again, good luck!

lonelysea and DrZhivago like this.
  6. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that a good CDP manufacturer = a good amp manufacturer. Not saying it couldn't happen but I'd do a LOT of homework and auditioning before pulling the trigger.

lonelysea likes this.
  7. Helom

Helom Forum member

I'd be more concerned about paying $8K for an amp that uses Taiwan caps. :hide:

8. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Plinius - truly lovely sound, great power, and great reliability. It deserves some attention for sure.

timztunz, Shoalcove and lonelysea like this.
  9. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

"The last integrated amp I will ever need" - If only it was true.

mike catucci, timztunz and lonelysea like this.
  10. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Care to elaborate?
    Link to some article? Personal experience?

Regards

11. lonelysea

They make the best semiconductors in the world so I would hope their capacitors are up to snuff.

12. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

There's your first mistake. :angel:

lonelysea likes this.
  13. Helom

Helom Forum member

It's simply the fact that they use Jamicon caps in an amp that retails for over $8K. Most amps of that cost use Japanese or German sourced caps. It might not make any difference in quality these days, but I personally would have a hard time forking over that sort of coin for lesser-cost internals.

14. ShawnG

ShawnG Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I've had a few integrated amps in my room in the last couple years trying to find "The One".

Jeff Rowland Continuum S2
    BAT VK3000se
    Simaudio Moon 600i
    Esoteric F-05

The Esoteric F-05 won hands down in my room powering a pair of Aerial Acoustics 6T's.
    It's a sublime piece of equipment!

Shawn

JeffTamarack and lonelysea like this.
  15. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

When you start you search, you may want to include the new Bel Canto Black EX Integrated. It's got 500w into 4 ohms and should be fine sitting in a rack system.

EX Integrated - Bel Canto Design

lonelysea likes this.
  16. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

You don't recommend HINT? I want one:)

17. timind

timind phorum rezident

If I were spending that kind of $$, I'd want to listen to the Mark Levinson 585.

Projectman and lonelysea like this.
  18. Helom

Helom Forum member

The H-Int is very good overall, but better performance can be had IME.

Manimal likes this.
  19. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Is there a Naim Supernait 3? Also, the Supernait 2 has 80w @8 ohms, which is less than what he has with his Yamaha...I thought that was something on his wish list.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  20. lonelysea

So many great suggestions. Thanks again, everyone.
    My main concern is not making a "lateral move" - I want something that clearly justifies the replacement of my less than 2-year-old Yamaha. A final amp statement (quite possibly so - I usually keep components for decades!). For this reason I'm thinking of scratching the Esoteric from my list. I'm also not sure the Naim will have sufficient power. I'm no power hog - listen mostly to acoustic music at very moderate levels. The Plinius has loads of power but I wonder if that's all it has - delicacy, detail, and nuance are more important to me than brute strength. That means I might give the Pass INT-250 a pass as well...
    The Swiss amps are the real focus of my attention/obsession right now. I'd love to hear from anyone who has compared the Nagra Classic Int with the darTZeel CTH-8550.

21. Helom

Helom Forum member

You're correct. He did state that he wants more juice. IME, more power doesn't always equate to better sound. A trusted audiophile buddy of mine claims the Supernait is as good as any expensive esoteric amp. That's what prompted me to suggest it.

lonelysea likes this.
  22. Helom

Helom Forum member

Any particular reason you're not considering the A-S3000? Not enough power?

23. lonelysea

I've considered it. Marginal power boost. Some owners of both have even claimed the 2100 has more "oomph" (whatever that means). Believe me, if Yamaha announces a A-S4000 with 150 wpc I'll be first in line to grab one!

Helom likes this.
  24. MjudeG

MjudeG Well-Known Member

What's the fun in buying your the last integrated amplifier ever? Anyway, a few people have mentioned the Naim Supernait 2. While it's true the Naim is 80 wpc, as everyone knows, all watts are not created equally. Current, not watts, is what drives speakers. Naim designs all have incredible current delivery that almost makes their wattage ratings irrelevant. For a point of reference, I previously owned the 60 wpc Ayre AX-7e and was massively underwhelmed compared to the 60 wpc Naim Nait XS.

jusbe, grx8, JakeMcD and 1 other person like this.
  25. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The Nagra Amp looks small, but has enough power to drive even bigger speakers. I had Rowland monos before and the Nagra classic amp (same power as the integrated) blows away the Rowlands. I don‘t want use Class-D again. The heat is much lower than the Pass Int-60.

I would match the amp with the speakers. For example the Pass Int-250 was not the best choice on my Wilson speakers. I prefered the smaller amp.

lonelysea likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.