The Last Man On Earth (TV series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by amoergosum, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Yeah, not much has really happened with Todd except he and Melissa have hooked up and that always serves as a difficult point for Phil. Todd and Melissa aren't married, they're just living together.

Without a doubt there needs to be more character development. I read an article last week with Will Forte. He said that his original thinking was to have Phil be alone for most of the first season, but either was told or thought that TBS wouldn't go for a one man show for a season. They definitely need to start giving us more information about these characters than an introduction before bringing on new people. We really don't know much about any of them.

Tom in Houston likes this.
  2. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

Todd, not Ted. Damn. I'll get these character names down before the end of the run, I promise. Thanks for the gentle "in passing" correction.

rburly likes this.
  3. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Carol taking a mouthful of that hot tea was physical comedy perfection.

Galley, amoergosum and mmars982 like this.
  4. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident Thread Starter

Great episode...:laugh:

[​IMG]

agentalbert, Dan C and Mister Charlie like this.
  5. rburly

This show is in a rut. Phil has the potential for sex, a new character is introduced, Phil loses his chance at sex. If they can't change the storylines, as thin as they are, I'm done after two more episodes.

mmars982 and geo50000 like this.
  6. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

So Phil has gone from being the last man on earth to not even the last Phil on earth.

--Geoff

7. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I'm still laughing a pretty good amount, but you do have a point.

8. amoergosum

9. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

I feel like it is starting to unravel a bit. I mean, another guy named Phil Miller?

rburly likes this.
  10. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I'm continuing to watch it to see how long they can draw it out. There are still laughs in each episode, but the scenario is getting old.

This week was worth it for the billboard scenes.

nbakid2000, DLant and Mister Charlie like this.
  11. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I feel like they're not really utilizing this scenario (them being the last people on earth) nearly as much as they could. Other than them having couches and a bonfire in the middle of the cul de sac, you'd almost think this was any other single-camera sitcom.

12. Tom in Houston

I got what I asked for. They developed the Todd character.

They showed us he is insecure to the point of annoyance. He took the "most pathetic" title away from Phil, decisively.

And it seems like just a couple of weeks ago She Drives Me Crazy was echoing through the neighborhood almost non-stop. Shouldn't he have some residual confidence left over from those days (and nights)?

mmars982 likes this.
  13. drmaynard

drmaynard Well-Known Member

What is there to be confident about? He got to have sex with a hottie because he was the last man on earth other than the one she loathed.

Nothing has gone unexpectedly. Nice guys are insecure guys. The two go hand-in-hand.

14. tcj

tcj Senior Member

I'm beginning to think that this is all a dream, or maybe more accurately, a low-energy nightmare. I keep thinking that the final episode is going to find Phil waking up drooling on his desk at work, and all of these people are going to be coworkers. Melissa is a hot coworker he can't have and who is obviously grossed out by him, Gail and Erica are just flirty coworkers with no real interest, Todd is his cube-mate, and "New Phil" is the unstoppably successful coworker every workplace seems to have. He's going to leave, go home, and open the door to Carol, his wife, who is loyal to a T but whom Phil ultimately takes for granted. Phil is such a schlub that even in his dream he can't have the girl of his dreams. I honestly don't know how I'd feel if that turns out to be some variation of the outcome of this show. It's a fun ride, but that's a cop-out.

Mister Charlie, Leviethan and DLant like this.
  15. rburly

Hey, if this happens, I'll stay with the show. It's waaaay more interesting than the pattern they've developed.

16. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

I'm done.

Scope J likes this.
  17. Tom in Houston

You must be in charge of script development for Last Man. Clearly they are following your outline - nice guy falls apart.

But

It was more than implied that both Driven Crazy partners were having a blast, and that's why the song played so often. They were happy, not just backed-up or deprived. Melissa may have been slumming below her station in hottie-dom, but she kept going back for something. Todd had to be doing something that made her so willing to fire up that boombox again and again. And he had to have noticed that she liked it. That's what there was to be confident about.

Now they couldn't possibly be happy. Todd is all whine-y and needy, to the point of forfeiting his nice guy status.

The question is why did he fall apart so, just because a pretty boy with carpenter skills and the promise of mechanical/electrical skills to follow, came into their lives?

Maybe Todd and old Phil should take new Phil for a truck ride outside of town, to show him something...

I'm not trying to be offensive, if this comes off that way. You are welcome to your beliefs, and like I said - they are following your script, your understanding of the make-up of nice guys.

18. drmaynard

drmaynard Well-Known Member

Well I think after two years a person with a high sex drive would initially be insatiable sex-wise. If I went two years eating only stale bread and found a steak-tree I would be eating plenty of steak for a few weeks.

19. Tom in Houston

But eventually you'd settle in to steak sandwiches for lunch and dinner, and then...
    Wait. I've lost the analogy.

Is the cow the "steak-tree"?

Just kidding. Like I say, your point of view has already won this discussion. You are more attuned to the writers' understanding of human behavior, and perhaps, to a broader human reality.

20. amoergosum

"Stages of Phil Tandy "Cormaneau" Miller: Pre-people, during marriage, and after divorce."

[​IMG]

Mister Charlie and Bryan like this.
  21. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

That last episode....man, Kristen Schaal.....uh, has quite the cleavage!

DLant likes this.
  22. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

23. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

I found myself thinking that too.

24. amoergosum

25. amoergosum

Man...the new sex scene was even more hilarious than the first one...:laugh:

Oh, there you go, you big camper.
    Oh, put the food in the bear box.
    The food's in the box, baby.
    Put it high up in the tree so the bears can't get to it.
    It's in the tree, it's high up there.
    Yeah, it is.
    Way out of reach.
    Put a log on the fire, get those mosquitoes away, Phil!
    Can't stand those damn mosquitoes!
    Get 'em out!

jeffgt14, kevywevy and jriems like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.