The Last Man On Earth (TV series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by amoergosum, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I agree--there needs to be SOMETHING else going on. In any case, I'm done with the show. I do thank them for reminding me about FYC's "She Drives Me Crazy." I avoid the radio like the plague and pretty much forgot about that song and how good it is.

2. They have added something new with virtually every episode. SPOILERS: We have gone from a single person alone in the world to several people and an animal (with surely more to follow). Three episodes ended with a game changing moment. I think they're doing a good job of adding interesting elements without blowing the original conceit too quickly. I suspect the Phil lusting over JJ will be a constant. Sexual tension has driven many a show and virtually every show that resolves the "will they, won't they?" issue goes immediately downhill.

agentalbert likes this.
  3. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Situations like Phil cleaning out his toilet pool are what I'd like to see more of in the show. Less of him being an ass while trying to bone Melissa.

Galley and rburly like this.
  4. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I was a bit confused about how Phil could learn a lesson about being nice in one episode and went right back to being a jerk in the next.

5. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

6. amoergosum

"As Phil's obsession with Melissa reaches a fever pitch, he's gotten a bit more ... dickish? Maybe? Definitely much more unsympathetic that he had been.
    Absolutely. Phil feels a weird sense of entitlement because he's the one who originally put up the signs for people to come to Tucson, so he feels he deserves certain things. And he's gone a little off the deep end. You know, he's definitely a flawed character, and you get a lot of sympathy for him in the first episode because you're following him around, and I think everyone can imagine what that sense of despair and loneliness would be like, being alone in the world like that. But it's not like he's a perfect person in those early episodes, either.

Do you think you'll find out about a second season soon?
    I don't know. It's so interesting. So far the ratings have been pretty good, but it's also the nature of the show is such that it's constantly changing, so I don't blame Fox for waiting to see if people stick along for the whole ride. I'd be lying if I didn't say that that wasn't one of my concerns. I never like to do things the easy way. I like people never knowing what's going to happen. It doesn't always work out in my favor, but I'm hoping that as people see the unlikeable sides to Phil's character, I hope they remember that there are positives to him as well, and he's just working some stuff out right now. I don't want to give anything away, but the plan was to have a series of events that happen that keep you always guessing, and as I watch these next episodes, I know what happens, but your allegiances will constantly be shifting."

Source:
    http://www.vulture.com/2015/03/forte-on-his-unlikable-character-on-last-man.html?mid=twitter_vulture

7. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I've watched every episode so far, hoping it would get to be less annoying, but half way through the
    second episode this week, I stopped the DVR and said "why am I watching this?". I've given up because
    his obsessions are way too much and over the top. I guess some people enjoy that type of thing,
    but I'm moving on.

Scope J likes this.
  8. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I really hoped that his confession of love to Melissa in the bar would finally be the end of that particular plot being so dominant, but nope!

9. drmaynard

drmaynard Well-Known Member

I don't understand why people want the obvious focus to vanish. The people on Gilligan's Island were constantly talking about getting off the island. That was the focus of their lives and the show reflected that. Of course Phil wants to have sex with Melissa. What else could he possibly focus his life around?

milankey, agentalbert and kevywevy like this.
  10. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

I don't think you've matched equivalent situations.

This is more like Mr. Howell following Maryanne around all day, begging for sex.

CBC, Planbee and Bryan like this.
  11. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

There are all sorts of hilarious scenarios they could explore in the world they've created. Like I said in an earlier post, Phil having to finally clean up his toilet pool was a good example of what I'd rather see more of.

12. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I was surprised to learn last night that whatever plague caused this scenario also affected the animals, so we aren't going to have many critters wandering into their neighborhood. They're going to have to start to move around soon, or it's going to get really boring if they stay in the same subdivision the entire show.

13. greenhorn

greenhorn Forum Resident

It's kind of The Coyote and the Road Runner. Phil is the Coyote and all other people are the road runner. It's gotten tired for me already. I find it's inverted doppelganger, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt far more creative and entertaining.

14. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Which would have been the more realistic scenario if they could have gotten around the censors with it. :D

Tom in Houston likes this.
  15. amoergosum

Last Man on Earth: EXTENDED PHIL SURPRISES CAROL

milankey, Bryan and Mister Charlie like this.
  16. amoergosum

Last Man on Earth: EXTENDED JAMBA JAMBA

Bryan and Mister Charlie like this.
  17. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

The one-on-one scenes between Phil and Carol make me wish they had waited longer to introduce Melissa and Todd. They should have had Melissa show up in the last moments of the season finale as a surprise twist.

CBC, Galley and rburly like this.
  18. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Could have been a good idea, but most people aren't patient enough and with this airing on quick-trigger Fox, they might not have made it that far. It it were a cable show where there was a much greater assurance the full season would be allowed to play out, that would have been a great idea.

I like the show the way it is and am not the least bit bored with it.

amoergosum likes this.
  19. amoergosum

By the way...Will Forte is growing his beard back. So I guess we'll see a comeback in season 2 >>>

20. amoergosum

So during the sex scene Kristen Schaal wasn't allowed to move "because the network thought that would be very vulgar".

Man...she's hilarious >>>

Ed Hughes likes this.
  21. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

It worked out to their benefit though. The fact that she's completely still is a huge part of what makes that scene so hilarious. Possibly my favorite in the whole series so far!

22. amoergosum

I know...it's definitely funnier that way...:laugh:

The "here we go" and the sound afterwards cracks me up every single time.

23. amoergosum

There were some roundtable interviews with Will Forte, Phil Lord and Chris Miller.
    So Will Forte actually wanted more time with fewer people originally...he wanted more time
    in the world of just Phil alone.

>>>

"And if they get a second season, Forte has a plan that would require the beard again."

"Will Forte was surprised they got away with such little dialogue for the pilot episode. Chris Miller was surprised they got away with a guy almost committing suicide for fun and an attempted murder for comedy. Phil Lord was surprised that they got away with threatening animal murder, and turning the hero of the show into the villain, for a time."

"They want to show every side of Phil Miller without being afraid to go to the darker side. Most people have many different sides to them, and who knows what would happen in a heightened situation. He had to go crazy and have a dark period because he needed to learn a lot of things."

"A big theme of this season is that, if you take away all of the societal pressure, how will people behave? Is this person going to be redeemable? Can he find that moral center?"

"In the early going, they had a lot of discussions about how long to wait before introducing other characters. Forte wanted more time with fewer people, but there was some nervousness about it and the hope that more characters would come in earlier. He said, “I’m really proud of the show, in general, but those first couple of episodes, there’s something really special about them. If there’s one thing I could change, it would be spending a little more time in that world of just Phil alone, and then more time with just Phil and Carol, and a little more time with just the three. Once you get these people, there’s no going back, unless you kill somebody off.”

"They see this show as going for as many seasons as possible because there are so many possibilities for where it can go and what it can do. The limits are only what the writing staff can think of. They would like this show to be the Fast & Furious franchise of post-apocalyptic comedic narratives."

Source:
    http://collider.com/last-man-on-earth-season-2-spoilers/

24. amoergosum

@LastManWriters mentioned on Twitter that season 1 will be released on Blu-ray ("Most definitely!") !

25. amoergosum

January Jones drinking raw milk on Mad Men and The Last Man On Earth >>>

[​IMG]

HiredGoon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.