The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. harmonica98

harmonica98 Forum Resident

'Three Colors: White' (1994) on the big screen. Entertaining, if completely implausible.

vapor minor likes this.
  2. Siegmund

Siegmund Forum Resident

2001: A Space Odyssey.

Scope J, RK2249 and Road Ratt like this.
  3. Claus LH

Claus LH Well-Known Member

"Tokyo Twilight" (1957, Ozu)
    A long (and more modern than usual) examination of Japanese family dynamics, Ozu-style.
    Alcoholism and and an unwanted pregnancy are mixed in with the familiar reflections and interactions. Seeing Chishu Ryu relatively young-looking is almost like seeing Lon Chaney without makeup; we are so used to Ryu's "older man" portrayals :); he is excellent, as usual. Setsuko Hara is superb; there is one moment that calls for her to just look at another character, and her expression gives you chills.

"Twilight" came on DVD as part of the "Three Melodramas" set; it may have been intended for BR as part of the BFI's wonderful series of Ozu reissues, but it seems that project stalled before they could finish.
    Better DVD than not seeing it...

C.

4. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

From Hell (2001)

Marc 74 and Ronm1 like this.
  5. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I've always had a soft spot for this movie.

6. xdawg

xdawg I heard it on the X

"Fist Fight" - it had a few moments of hilarity

7. steveharris

steveharris Forum Resident

Alien Covenant.I really liked this movie quite a bit.Everybody I know who seen it couldn`t bear it and thought it was silly.I`m looking forward to the next installment.

8. Tim S

Tim S Forum Resident

I like all three films a LOT. It's been a long time, but I don't remember anything implausible about any of them.

vapor minor and MagicAlex like this.
  9. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Four different movies over a four night stretch:

"King Kong" (1976 version), the next night "Kong-Skull Island", night after that, "I Saw the Light", and last night, "The Magnificent Seven" (2016 version)...

10. harmonica98

harmonica98 Forum Resident

Well, the lead character
    travels in the hold undetected; gets a job as a guard with some gangsters despite being the least convincing guard possible; fakes his own death rather unconvincingly; frames his ex-wife for murder even more unconvincingly; despite framing her for murder his ex-wife realises she does love him after all

Now, it's supposed to be a fable (I think) so this aren't show-stoppers but they did take me out of the picture somewhat.

vapor minor likes this.
  11. Scope J

Scope J Forum Resident

Alien Covenant

12. keefer1970

keefer1970 Forum Resident

"Cliffhanger" (1993)
    Sly Stallone is the leader of a mountain search & rescue team that battles with a gang of plane-crashed bank robbers way at the top of the Rockies. Nothing here ranks very high on the believability scale but it's got a great cast (incl. John Lithgow as a truly slimy villain), impressive stunt work, and awesome scenery. Fun stuff.

13. Claus LH

"Wings" (1927, Wellman)
    Big, emotional, rousing...the film still packs a wallop.
    Two guys, one girl, and a war to fight. William Wellman throws everything and the kitchen sink into this aerial combat epic, and most of it works very well.
    Fantastic flying scenes bookend a standard love story played out in the hell of WW1.
    Clara Bow is cute as a button, even if somewhat over the top at times.
    Charles Rogers' drunk scene is way overlong and silly, and El Brendel as "comic relief" grates on the nerves, but all is forgiven when the planes take off...

The BR (MoC) has a surround sound-effects mix added that really adds to the viewing.
    Supposedly they ran sound effects for some of the roadhouse showings of the film, so this has been re-created by Ben Burtt at Skywalker Sound.
    About the only thing missing is the Magnavision process where the screen opened up wider for some of the aerial combat scenes, but as a viewing experience, the film looks and sounds fantastic.

C.

harmonica98 likes this.
  14. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I finally got around to seeing Dunkirk and it was different from what I expected, but still very good. Even though I'm familiar with Christopher Nolan, the narrative style surprised me. The pacing was very unique, and even though it wasn't quite as character-driven as other Nolan films, I thought it worked.

longdist01 likes this.
  15. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

Hush (2016)

16. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton Forum Resident

Cliffhanger is one of the best 'bad' movies ever. Just fun to watch from start to finish. Lithgow is hilariously over the top. Anytime my wife and I hear the name 'Walker' we go into this terrible accent shout-fest; "WALKER!!!!!!"

vapor minor, Ronm1 and keefer1970 like this.
  17. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    In Search of Haydn (2012, Phil Grabsky)
    Papa Haydn - at least that's how Beethoven and Mozart reportedly saw him. It's a fine musical portrait after you get past the gushing commentary. One in the series of very good composer docs from Mr. Grabsky.

Claus LH likes this.
  18. keefer1970

keefer1970 Forum Resident

"Jonah Hex" (2010)
    Josh Brolin stars as DC Comics' scar-faced Old West gunslinger, bounty hunter, and all around tough guy, who has to stop a crazed former Confederate general turned terrorist (John Malkovich) from attacking Washington D.C. with a super weapon on the day of America's Centennial.
    This entertainingly dumb shoot'em-up/blow'em up was subject to constant behind-the-scenes drama and interference during filming so what wound up on screen is a bit of a disjointed mess. It's not as bad as you've probably heard, but it's nowhere near as bad-ass as it could've, and should've been, either.

"Scream: The Inside Story" (2011)
    Another Biography Channel horror-film documentary, this time telling the story of the 1996 hit which re-ignited Wes Craven's career and gave the horror genre a much needed jump start. As usual, there are lots of interviews and stories told by cast and crew members. Entertaining stuff if you're a fan of the series.

19. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

Salt of the Earth, documentary of Sebastião Salgado (2015 Bluray)

Claus LH likes this.
  20. Road Ratt

Road Ratt Forum Resident

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Green Lantern BR...I like Ryan Reynolds.

22. Claus LH

'The Human Condition" (1959-61) (Kobayashi)

Epic. A much overused word, but it fits in this case. One man's journey in search of himself and of some kind of greater truth. Ideals are lost, perspective gained, and war rages.
    Tatsuya Nakadai gives a sustained, masterful performance over 9-1/2 hours that puts him in the company of Gunther Lamprecht in "Berlin Alexanderplatz."
    This is one to re-visit. The Arrow set is gorgeous.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    ando here likes this.
  23. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Yep. Except the Fassbinder film starts out very strong and seems to lose momentum while the Kobayashi movie gets more intriguing - and more poignant. Though its one of my favorite from the driven filmmaker I'm not sure where Fassbinder was going with BA. Should probably read the Döblin novel to see how Fassbinder twisted it. ;)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    Claus LH likes this.
  24. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Matewan (1987, John Sayles)

Labor Day pick. Rewatching it, really. Union guy comes to a mining town harassed by the powerful local coal company. Essential viewing even if you hate unions.

25. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident