The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Forum Resident

Watched Zootopia, which is a fun cartoon that adults can enjoy, and John Wick 2, which I would describe as tedious.

2. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

Little Evil (2017)

3. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Well-Known Member

The excellent, The Big Sick.

4. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

King Of Comedy (1983)...Jerry Lewis owns it.

5. mBen989

mBen989 Forum Resident

6. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

Mr. Holland's Opus (DVD)

Splungeworthy likes this.
  7. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Hitman's Bodyguard; pretty standard action/buddy film. I like Samuel L. Jackson; especially when he's playing Samuel L. Jackson.

jhm likes this.
  8. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee"

ando here likes this.
  9. PCM7027

PCM7027 Forum Resident

(Fred Zinnemann's film of) The Day of the Jackal (1973), the new Arrow blu-ray.
    Terrific, as always.

Ronm1 and Miriam like this.
  10. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

The Handmaiden
    Park Chan-wook

3rd viewing this year. Probably my favorite movie watched this year. The plot is great as well as the photography.

[​IMG]

Oh, and Kim Min-Hee (of course)!

[​IMG]

Wingman likes this.
  11. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

Killer Joe (2011) by William Friedkin. I think it's Matthew McConaughey's best performance.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    Michael likes this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

CLUCK, CLUCK...killer movie!

Miriam likes this.
  13. ando here

ando here Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Aparajito (1956, Satyajit Ray)
    The second film in the Apu Trilogy by the late, great filmmaker is heartbreaking and quieting each time I view it - every five years or so. In it a boy in rural India leaves his priestly training to attend university, leaving his widowed mother alone. I'm never sure if I've seen it until about 5 minutes in, when of course, the film elicits memories of my own mother and it all coming flooding back. Essential viewing, imo.

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff Thread Starter

Over the Holiday weekend, I watched all three parts of Raymond Bernard's Les Misérables. It's not perfect (Marius is portrayed as not just useless, but also lazy. No attempts are made to humanize Javert), but it is pretty much the definitive cinematic adaptation. Harry Baur is appropriately soulful and haunted as Jean Valjean. I particularly enjoyed Max Dearly providing comic relief as Marius' grandfather, Gillenormand.

[​IMG]

ando here likes this.
  15. Dude111

Dude111 Forum Resident

I last watched THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE (1972) on VHS :)

Road Ratt and Splungeworthy like this.
  16. Rock-C-Art

Rock-C-Art Well-Known Member

Cinema Paradiso. So, so good.

Ronm1 likes this.
  17. Road Ratt

Road Ratt Forum Resident

Hellboy II: The Golden Army

18. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

19. keefer1970

keefer1970 Forum Resident

"Rumpelstiltskin" (1995)
    The fairy-tale gnome has been imprisoned in a figurine since medieval times, but now he's on the loose in 1990s L.A., where he has nefarious plans for a young widow and her baby son.
    ...silly direct-to-video horror cheez from the writer/director of the original "Leprechaun" ... which should tell you pretty much everything you need to know.

20. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Ronm1 likes this.
  21. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Good dumb fun.

Ronm1 likes this.
  22. Standoffish

Standoffish Forum Resident

I didn't know there was a director's cut of Highlander. Any significant changes?

23. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton Forum Resident

The Jewel of the Nile.

Pretty terrible movie but somehow quite watchable. The scene where the horse (donkey??) sits on Danny DeVito had me laughing harder than I've ever laughed in my life. It does seem like the writing sessions consisted of either "who cares, it's got Kathleen and Michael" and "pass the cocaine".

Mylene likes this.
  24. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

The Hero (2017) :thumbsup:

25. klockwerk

klockwerk Well-Known Member

Miriam likes this.
  26. keefer1970

keefer1970 Forum Resident

"The Demolitionist" (1995)

In the near future, a policewoman shot down in the line of duty (Nicole Eggert of "Charles In Charge" and "Baywatch" -- of all creatures!) is transformed into a cyborg crime fighter and turned loose on the murderous syndicate that controls the city's underworld. Bullets fly, stuff blows up, the end. Sharp eyed genre nerds will notice Heather "Nightmare On Elm Street" Langenkamp and FX maestro Tom Savini playing minor roles in this cheap, cheesy, gender swapped "RoboCop" knock-off.
    Silly but watchable.

27. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

I just used that pic...was watching it on Starz. I think I just watched the regular version. Here is some info on the different versions.

Standoffish likes this.
  28. The Zodiac

The Zodiac God's Lonely Man

Snatched - watched it for Goldie. Felt she was kinda underutilized. Mildly entertaining. Mildly. Meh.

Frequency - my recently departed father was a ham radio enthusiast, so you can understand my interest in a film that allow father and son to communicate through time using one. It was pretty good, though never quite reaching great.

Grunge Master likes this.
  29. Tim S

Tim S Forum Resident

"Split" - three very good lead performances, engrossing all the way to right before the end, which I can't describe without spoilers, but I can say royally pissed me off.

30. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie New Member

Hot Fuzz. I think this is Edgar Wright's funniest.

31. steveharris

steveharris Forum Resident

I just got back from seeing "It".I haven`t been out to the movies since last winter and yes I really enjoyed this movie.It was better than the TV movie wich I also seen last night.I was getting thirsty and didn`t want to pay ten bucks for a soda Ha Ha!

32. ando here

ando here Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    First Man Into Space (1959, Robert Day)
    Not intended as a monster flick but that's what happens to this low budget, primitive but handsomely shot sci-fi movie. Released just before the Soviets put the first Man into orbit it was created to predict innovations in space exploration (mostly theoretical) but the narrative payoff is plain hokey. What's worse is that the star, Marshall Thompson, never gets it on with the beautiful (and obvious eye candy) Marla Landi. WTF? :)