The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. keefer1970

keefer1970 Forum Resident

"Godzilla: Final Wars" (2004)
    An alien race known as the "Xillians" has invaded Earth and assumed control of all of its giant monsters ... except The Big G, of course. While Godzilla battles his way through his rogues' gallery of past enemies on the ground, a team of elite super-powered "Earth Defense Force" agents take on the aliens in the sky.
    This 50th anniversary Godzilla flick is ridiculously overstuffed (there's enough characters and plot for about twelve movies) but as always, it features a variety of flashy special FX (incl. the classic guy-in-rubber-suit stuff, along with some CGI and a bit of that fancy 360-degree slo-mo jazz ala "The Matrix," which was all the rage in the early '00s) and tons of action.
    It barely makes a lick of sense but boy is it fun to watch!

ando here likes this.
  2. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

3. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

Super Dark Times
    Up in Smoke
    Distant Thunder
    Tourist Trap

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Rango

vapor minor likes this.
  5. Cerebus

Cerebus Forum Resident

Cult of Chucky

6. schugh

schugh Well-Known Member

Blade Runner with my son who had never seen it.
    To get ready for Blade Runner 2049.

vapor minor likes this.
  7. harmonica98

harmonica98 Forum Resident

Mildred Pierce (1945) on the big screen as part of the London Film Festival. Wonderful and clearly superior to the source novel : not often you can say that.

ando here likes this.
  8. Borgia

Borgia Well-Known Member

From 1974, the Duke does Seattle, with Eddie Albert & Al Lettieri, among others. Not a bad old 70's flick.

[​IMG]

Nice Marmot and beat_truck like this.
  9. ando here

ando here Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Long Day's Journey Into Night (1962, Sidney Lumet)
    To my mind the only thing more amazing than to have written this play/screenplay would be to have survived into adulthood with this family! Course, knock-em-down, drag-out family dramas have been around even before Euripides but the American family tragedy on the stage - and subsequent screen - had never been as searingly illustrated as this Eugene O'Neill masterpiece. I've seen several film and stage versions of the play but the Lunet film remains my favorite. And it's not necessarily a tragedy because someone lies dead on the floor at the end but because they all in various ways are unable to overcome their own demons.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    The Panda likes this.
  10. beat_truck

beat_truck Member

Last night I watched on TCM:
    Frankenstein
    Bride of Frankenstein
    The Mummy
    The Wolf Man

Jimmy B. and drgn95 like this.
  11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Sultan Of Snark

Solaris, with George Clooney and Natasha McElhone. I think tomorrow night I'm gonna sit down and plow through the original Tarkovsky version. It probably makes a lot more sense in Russian. :shrug:

vapor minor, ando here and Borgia like this.
  12. keefer1970

"Curtains" (1983)
    A group of actresses gathers at a director's secluded country estate in order to audition for his new film. Soon a masked killer starts whittling down the competition one by one.
    A slow moving, rather dull slasher/mystery that takes way too long to start piling up a body count. Apparently this flick has a cult following nowadays, but it didn't do much for me. Skip it.

13. ando here

I've only ever watched the Tarkovsky version. Don't see why there was an impetus for a remake. Guess only a viewing will answer that question. I would suggest you read the Stanislav Lem novel but he hated what Tarkovsky made of it. Let me just say that like all T's films Solaris is an experience - it was made to be so. I think T was questioning what we (as human beings) think we're actually capable of bringing to another planet - on a spiritual and psychological level. So he puts characters in situations where they're forced to confront this. I believe Lem wanted the planet, Solaris, to be a far more active agent in the story than merely a force field which throws the psyches of the characters back on themselves. For Tarkovsky, however, man brings the earth with him wherever he goes.

Kubricker likes this.
  14. Dude111

Dude111 Forum Resident

I last watched THE MANHATTAN PROJECT (1986) on VHS :)

15. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

• This one last night..... :)[​IMG]

Tree of Life likes this.
  16. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Forum Resident

GHOST IN THE MACHINE

8 outta 10 stars

17. Tim S

Tim S Forum Resident

That's a really good synopsis. The film is long and sometimes I lost my patience with it, but it's worth sticking with. It will absolutely make you think about its meaning for long after viewing it. It's an incredibly unusual and ambitious film for 1972. It does require patience.

ando here likes this.
  18. ando here

Everyone takes away something different. It was also Tarkovsky's response to Kubrick's 2001: ASpace Odyssey; a film I think T admired on a technical level but he found wanting on several other levels.

19. ando here

Which one is it? There are a few...

20. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Forum Resident

Blade Runner 2049

5/5 and probably in my top ten of all time now. Sorry whatever got bumped.

The Final Cut is my favorite film of all time and this was a worthy followup. Leto was tolerable and the score wasn't the train wreck I have come to expect from Zimmer. It actually reminded me of it you took the Dark Knight Rises soundtrack and put Vangelis' Blade Runner on top of it. Going to go back tomorrow.

vapor minor likes this.
  21. harmonica98

harmonica98 Forum Resident

Equilibrium (2017) as part of the London film festival. Slow burn Italian drama about a priest who returns to his hometown to find endemic corruption. Watchable but not a great script and very mixed performances from the mainly non-professional cast.

22. keefer1970

"Tales of Halloween" (2015)
    This fun horror anthology film ala "Creepshow" or "Trick r' Treat" features ten fast, funny, tongue-in-cheek scary stories that all take place in the same small town on Halloween night. Segments include a jack o'lantern with an appetite, a Leatherface-style murderer who meets his match, and a kidnapping scheme that goes horribly wrong.
    Not every story is a home run but there was more than enough good, gory fun here to keep me entertained.
    Sharp eyed horror nerds will get an extra kick from spotting B-movie royalty like Adrienne ("The Fog") Barbeau, Barry "Rocky Horror" Bostwick, Barbara "Re-Animator" Crampton and directors John Landis and Joe Dante throughout the film. A pleasant surprise. Thumbs up!

23. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Forum Resident

Scarlett Johansson starred in it.

And it's

GHOST IN THE SHELL

Jesus, I gotta stop drinking while thinking lol

Jimmy B. likes this.
  24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Thinner...

25. Kubricker

Kubricker Forum Resident