The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

7 Psychopaths
    [​IMG]
    Wacky to the max.

The Panda likes this.
  2. sgb

sgb Forum Resident

Or, quoting a line or two from Firesign Theatre's I think We're All Bozos On This Bus, "What do I think about the Future? Well, the future's ain't here yet, man."

3. keefer1970

keefer1970 Forum Resident

"The Lego Batman Movie" (2017)
    Batman gets a new partner, travels to the Phantom Zone, battles a whole mess o' super villains and monsters, and learns what it means to be part of a family in this loud, candy-colored, hyperactively-paced animated adventure from the makers of "The Lego Movie." The jokes come at rapid fire speed, the graphics are colorful and wacky, and there are lots of affectionate jabs at the Batman legend. This may be the weirdest Bat-adaptation I've ever seen but it was also a ton of fun!

4. goat65cars

goat65cars Forum Resident

The Great Escape. Last Night.
    One Of The Ten Best Movies Made.Imo.
    John Sturges Did A Great Job.

sgb likes this.
  5. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Member

6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The Gatekeepers

A fascinating look at the FBI of Israel, interviews with 5 of their top officials (now retired). Some very harrowing stories and some aerial footage of terrorist executions.
    There is definitely some dirty laundry being washed in public here.

ando here likes this.
  7. Morpheus

Morpheus Active Member

Lenny--Dustin Hoffman playing the comedian. Still a well done film.

Jimmy B. and ando here like this.
  8. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Forum Resident

The Hideous Sun Demon, 1959, starring, produced and directed by Robert Clarke, right after The Trollenberg Terror (a.k.a. The Crawling Eye), starring Forrest Tucker. Both "guilty pleasures" from my youth, and both actually better than their reputations.

THSD was adequately, competently written and acted, good basic poor-guy-becomes-monster-dies-in-fall-from-high-place story. Plus for L.A. locations; I'm always using my third eye to see if any spots are recognizable.

TTT was one of those moody, atmospheric, modest budget British sci-fi gems they were known for in the 1950s, sorta botched at the end by the cheap effects, but overall, creepy.

9. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

American Made - The latest Tom Cruise movie reminded me that the man can actually act (It's been a while;)). The movie is a good companion to the Cocaine Cowboys doc., I enjoyed it! Tellyawhat, seeing him flashing that (still) sparkling smile while in the cockpit flying, I kept waiting for him to say "we're buzzing the tower Goose!";).

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  10. keefer1970

"Diamonds Are Forever" (1971)
    After the lukewarm reception to George Lazenby's "On Her Majesty's Secret Service," Sean Connery returned to the James Bond role one "last" time. In this installment 007 investigates a diamond-smuggling ring that leads him from Amsterdam to Las Vegas, where Blofeld and SPECTRE are using the gems to create a deadly laser satellite weapon.
    I'm sure fans were glad to see Sean back in the tuxedo again at the time, but "Diamonds" is not a top drawer Bond adventure by any means - Connery's clearly only in it for the paycheck and the entire production seems cheaper and campier than usual. This one might have actually worked better if it had starred Roger Moore.

11. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Resident

The Hitman's Bodyguard, with Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L. Jackson. Fun action movie but ultimately forgettable.

12. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

American Hot Wax.

I liked it as a kid.

About it, I still like.....

:shrug:

13. keefer1970

"Lucy" (2014)
    A woman (Scarlett Johansen) accidentally receives an overdose of a dangerous new synthetic drug, which gives her unexpected powers and abilities. Naturally, she uses this advantage to get even with the Asian mobsters who dosed her in the first place.
    This weird mix of shoot-em-up action flick and cerebral sci-fi from Luc "Fifth Element" Besson is not what I was expecting when I first pressed "play," but it turned out to be a cool watch anyway.

14. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Forum Resident

The Boy Next Door (2015)

This could have been a great erotic movie. J-Lo's husband has cheated on her. She's not sure she wants him back and the new neighbor kid is really hot. After one sex scene, though, it's all about this boy's twisted, violent obsession with her. The movie would of worked if it was solely about a hot affair between the two of them. As it stands, it's not worth watching.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  15. Rhapsody In Red

Rhapsody In Red Formerly Wrapped in Plastic

Virtual Revolution

Pretty good indie sci fi film. It's low budget but has some great ideas. The CGI, while not being totally realistic is very good. At times it looked like a made for tv movie, but the movie is smart and sophisticated.

16. Claus LH

Claus LH Well-Known Member

"Dementia" (2015)

After seeing this film on Netflix streaming, I propose a new category at the Oscars: "Outstanding Performance by an Actor Wasted Through Poor Script Writing" :)
    Older supporting player Gene Jones gets a leading man turn here, and he is fabulous, effortlessly convincing as Vietnam vet George who is battling dementia and bad family memories. Jones hooks you into his character literally from the first shot. It is all the more frustrating, then, that after a great, adult beginning, the story takes a fast dive into tacky thriller territory. George's son arranges for home nursing care for the old man, and while that angle has plenty of potential, it is largely wasted through rushed, increasingly cheap plotting. There are good moments later, but it is certainly not what it could have been.

If you enjoy good acting, though, see at least the first half of this. Jones' work deserves that.

C.

17. keefer1970

"Trainwreck" (2015)
    Comedienne Amy Schumer (more or less playing herself) is a drunken, bed hopping magazine reporter who finally lands in a "real" relationship with a nice guy (SNL's Bill Hader), then nearly blows her chance at happiness thanks to her bad habits. Schumer's good for a few laughs, but this is basically an overlong, foul-mouthed Lifetime Movie.

"Green Room" (2016)
    A small time punk rock band lands a last minute gig at a sketchy club (run by even sketchier people) in the middle of nowhere...then when they see something that they shouldn't have, they have to fight their way out. A claustrophobic little thriller with a great performance by Sir Patrick Stewart (!) as the Big Bad.

18. ggg71

ggg71 Active Member

Harry Potter (and the Sorcerer's Stone) (2001)

Watched it with my wife and 7 year old daughter. My daughter and i had finished reading the book about a week ago.

As a kid's movie, I'd give it a solid 8. As an adaptation of the book, also an 8. As anything beyond that though, it's pretty much schlock. I read here not to long ago that Rowling learned how to write somewhere around Book 3. Looking forward to see if that's true or not.

19. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Forum Resident

Baywatch (2017)

It wasn't that bad.

20. keefer1970

The Revenant" (2015)
    A lone frontiersman (Leonardo DiCaprio) survives a grizzly bear attack, being left for dead in the wilderness, and brutal winter weather so he can make his way back to civilization and get revenge on the guy who killed his son.
    Westerns are usually not my meat at all but this one drew me right in. A beautifully filmed epic of survival (based on a true story!) that earned Leo a well deserved Oscar.

Morpheus likes this.
  21. clayton

clayton Forum Resident

Sahara - Humphrey Bogart

Benno123 likes this.
  22. beat_truck

beat_truck Member

The Crazies (2009 remake)
    Not too bad, actually. I expected it to be horrible as, well, most remakes are.:rolleyes: I still like the original better, though.

23. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Casablanca during the TCM 75th anniversary showing in the theater this afternoon ...

Jimmy B. and ando here like this.
  24. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

Morpheus and ando here like this.
  25. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

It's Kubrick having a blast - especially letting the cameras roll whilst Sellers does his schtick. And Slim Pickens - still purty d@#n funny. :nyah:

Morpheus likes this.