The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

This fella can act.

2. alexpop

Wish Guy Ritchie got back to what he was good at!!!!!

Lightworker likes this.
  3. alexpop

"A Island famous for its fruit". :)

Mal and jhm like this.
  4. alexpop

Good! Keeps you guessing.

5. alexpop

Lee Marvin, nuff said.

6. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

Copenhagen (2014)

7. Mylene

Mylene Forum Resident

[​IMG]

The Trip to Spain (2017)

Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon spend a week in Spain reviewing restaurants and imitating celebrities. The third film in the trilogy takes the concept about as far as it can get. More jokes than the two previous films put together and a truly strange ending.

8. Mylene

Mylene Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Olaf's Frozen Adventure (2017)

The snowman and reindeer from Frozen go out searching for Christmas tradition. If you've seen the film you should be able to work it out before the film's 21 minutes are up.

9. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I was recently in Kansas and Nebraska, and saw (count 'em) 6 movies, since I was by myself most of the trip.

My impressions -- nothing more:
    •Goodbye Christopher Robin -- Should have been good; acting was stiff as a board.
    •The Disaster Artist - Very entertaining.
    •Thor: Ragnarok -- Didn't care for it.
    •Wonder -- Loved it.
    •Roman J. Israel, Esq - Good premise, poorly executed.
    •The Man Who Invented Christmas - Liked it much more than I expected, and Christopher Plummer was great.

10. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Forum Resident

District 9
    2001 - A Space Odyssey
    Logan

12. Sternodox

Sternodox Forum Resident

Dig!

Love the Brian Jonestown Massacre!

13. Road Ratt

Road Ratt Forum Resident

Scrooged

A great Christmas movie.

beat_truck likes this.
  14. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Forum Resident

15. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Forum Resident

Father Figures

16. Jumanji (1995)

This is my first 4K disc, but I’m not set for 4K so I watched the blu-ray. It looks really nice. My previous copy was a DVD in a jewel case, one of only two movies I ever got that way.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Forum Resident

True Lies

[​IMG]

Pinknik and Road Ratt like this.
  18. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Uncle Buck (1989)

[​IMG]

19. Standoffish

Standoffish Forum Resident

Love that movie. I miss John Candy. :(

Lightworker and jhm like this.
  20. Claus LH

Claus LH Well-Known Member

"Chappie" (2015, Blomkamp)

Imagine if Disney had done a mix-up of "Terminator" and "RoboCop" and infused it with some of the patented Disney cuteness from some of their own recent efforts, that gives an idea of "Chappie."
    We're in Johannesburg and life is hell; robotic cops help control the savage streets. So far so good, done before, but with technology advancing, it seems ever more plausible.
    One robot is disabled and sent for re-cycling, but gets saved for further experimental work....things evolve from there. "Chappie", as the robot gets named, falls into the wrong hands.

The film starts well and gains some sympathy from its setup. The engineer for the Soulless Corporation is the typical self-righteous, annoying geek "rebel", and frankly, most characters in the film are cartoons. The two rappers from South African hip-hop group Die Antwoord act as themselves in the film, adding a mix of goofiness and violence to the story.
    Chappie the robot makes it work, however. As motion-performed by actor Sharlto Copley as a base for CGI, he is wondrous to behold early on, achieving an amazing range of emotion through body language and rhythm.

Problem is, Neill Blomkamp really wants to "go Schwartzenegger" with the material, and at about the halfway point the film shifts from its rather sweet tin-can storytelling to a loud, dumb action flick, complete with a big bad machine kept in storage just for the bloody ramp-up.

"Chappie" could have been a lot more interesting if it had stayed low-key and had some real character development. It wouldn't have been any more realistic, but at least it would have respected its own "universe" more and it would have made for better viewing.

21. The Nightmare Before Christmas

MST3K of TORMENTED with Richard Carlson, one of my favorite “everyman” 50s guys and Joe Turkel who was Dr. Tyrell from Blade Runner. Also featuring the buxom Juli Reding as the ghost.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  22. Jackson

Jackson Forum Resident

[​IMG]

This one grows on me with each viewing, a serial killer movie like no other. Everyone in it, especially Owen Wilson who manages to make the title character likeable ''not an easy feat'' are brilliant. Others in the cast are Janeane Garafalo, Dwight Yoakum, and Sheryl Crow who does a terrific job in her film debut.

23. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

Groundhog Day (blu-ray)

beat_truck likes this.
  24. The Al Pacino legal drama ...And Justice For All. Not bad, but marred by a terrible cheesy sax-heavy soundtrack that sounded like something from an '80s TV dramedy, and one coitus interruptus of an ending.

25. RickH

RickH Forum Resident

A pair of thrillers on Amazon Prime, both pretty good/worthwhile haunted house-themed flicks

The Innkeepers
    Ghosts of Darkness