The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. MYKE

MYKE Columbia 6 Eye Mono - 1958

Just finished my copy of the Blu-ray. Loved it !!! :agree:

Brenald79 likes this.
  2. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

The Trials of Muhammad Ali (2014)

3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Forum Resident

Syriana - good movie

Synopsis:
    From the players brokering back-room deals in Washington to the men toiling in the oil fields of the Persian Gulf, a political thriller with multiple storylines that weave together showing the human consequences of the fierce pursuit of wealth and power. As a career CIA operative begins to uncover the disturbing truth about the work he has devoted his life to, an up-and-coming oil broker faces an unimaginable family tragedy and finds redemption in his partnership with an idealistic Gulf prince. A corporate lawyer faces a moral dilemma as he finesses the questionable merger of two powerful U.S. oil companies, while across the globe, a disenfranchised Pakistani teenager falls prey to the recruiting efforts of a charismatic cleric. Each plays their small part in the vast and complex system that powers the industry, unaware of the explosive impact their lives will have upon the world.

[​IMG]

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  4. Boo Rad

Boo Rad His horse was fast as polished steel

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I love this movie!

Tree of Life, jhm and Lightworker like this.
  6. Michael

Mistletoe Promise

7. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I, Tonya, with Margot Robbie and Sebastian Stan. I didn't buy Robbie as a 15 year old Tonya Harding, or really at any other age, so that kind of took me out of the movie in spots (plus the weird accent). It's an incredibly unflattering (and throughout, profane) portrait of Harding, and I find it hard to believe, according to reports, that she liked this movie. It is truly one of those truth-is-stranger-than-fiction stories, and I'm surprised there hasn't been a movie made prior to this. Technically the way they superimposed Robbie's face on a stunt skater's body was remarkable-it really looked like she was doing those jumps. But the villain of the year, hands down, is Tonya's mom Lavona, played with delicious glee by the masterful Allison Janney. Just give her all the awards now. But this was a tough movie to watch.

benjaminhuf and peopleareleaving like this.
  8. Michael

The Beatles Movie The Ron Howard one...it's disappointing.

9. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I picked up both of the Star Trek movie collections yesterday. I watched “Star Trek - The Motion Picture” this evening. I don’t recall ever seeing it before!

10. Ronm1

Ronm1 Forum Resident

^ Ive always liked that film. The epic nature of it always appealed to me. Still does.

Galley and Karnak like this.
  11. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

It Comes At Night

12. xdawg

xdawg Skating away...........

"Wanted" - James McAvoy, Angelina Jolie & Morgan Freeman

13. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

Re-watched Terminator Salvation. I really like this one.

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  14. Michael

Annabelle Creation...BR

benjaminhuf likes this.
  15. noname74

noname74 We The North.

Psycho II

16. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Forum Resident

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The Dark Valley.
    A mystery western set in the alps.

18. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Red Rock West. Cage, Hopper, JT Walsh, and anorexic Laura Flynn
    Pretty good thriller, but had too many only-in-Hollywood coincidences. Cage was pretty good, I was surprised. Walsh brought his A Game as usual.
    I'd call it 2.5-3 stars

19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The reviewer here said the same thing about Alison, who we adore on 'Mom'. The wife isn't sure she could sit through the movie, even as a rental. We're gonna really be stuck, if she gets the Oscar--Do we watch it or not? Your review encapsulates the wife's struggles, I think.

20. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

"Lord of War" (2005, Niccol.)

A near-brilliant film about the profits of war, filled with black humor amidst the seriousness, "LoW" is an adult, no-holds-barred look at gun trafficking.

Nicholas Cage plays a successful arms merchant from humble Ukrainian roots, and it is startling to see and remember how good he was then. Yes, he has a certain recognizable style, but here he gives a subtle, funny, real performance far removed from the over-the-top jokery that has made him such a laughingstock in later years.
    The start is pure fun, with the Ukrainian family living in NY, but soon the tone changes as the main character finds his life's work.

The film has a matter-of-fact quality about its subject that rams home both the incredible profits that make gun runners do it, and the real-politik consequences of selling to absolutely anyone who can pay.
    In this world, there are only "clients", no "good or bad."
    Eamonn Walker plays a classic African despot, a flashy, callous high-roller who is really the expression of what Cage's character could become: completely comfortable with the chaos he helps create.

Director Niccol loses his grip from time to time; a few scenes get preachy, but the devil-may-care tone holds up to the end with an astounding wrap-up that drives home the main point of the story.

"LoW" is an enormously entertaining film that is appalling for all the right reasons.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  21. Michael

always liked Cage still do...recently got this on BR...

22. Michael

23. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

My wife & I enjoyed this very much. Very hard to watch at times as it was simply unrelenting. We both felt a great deal of empathy for Tonya, the poor thing never had a chance. Allison Janney was remarkable as Tonya's mom. Margot Robbie (Tonya), was no slouch either. She was fantastic.

Neil Anderson likes this.
  24. Michael

anyone see Annabelle Creation? does one have to watch the first Annabelle before Creation?

25. vapor minor

vapor minor Sublime Member

Alien: Covenant (2017)

I have no words for how atrociously bad this is... it's devastating!

Tokyo Ghost likes this.