The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Forum Resident

Went to the movies last week to see the new Woody Allen film.Wonder Wheel.
    Not bad at all,Kate Winslet and Jim Belushi are great but Justin Timberlake...:hurl:

vapor minor likes this.
  2. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I just re-watched all of the Star Wars movies except the prequels. I’ll leave The Last Jedi out of this since it has its own thread and I don’t want to spoil anything.

Star Wars
    This is probably the movie I’ve seen the most times in my life, but it somehow never gets old. Other films (such as Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Fellowship of the Ring) have lost their luster due to over-familiarity, but this is somehow not the case with Star Wars.

The Empire Strikes Back
    This one is still probably my favorite, and I think it is the most well-made Star Wars film. Even though it’s juggling two parallel stories that each have their slower moments, it never gets boring.

The Return of the Jedi
    I never disliked this film as some do, but it was still better than I remembered. I thought I remembered it getting boring towards the end, but that never happened. I was also surprised by how much of an 80’s fantasy film it was, which I never picked up on before.

The Force Awakens
    This one was also better than I remembered. I guess I had gotten kind of cynical about it due to its similarities to the original Star Wars, but it was a joy to watch in spite of that.

Rogue One
    I actually enjoyed this one less than I did the first time. It’s a good movie, but not one that needs to be seen more than once IMO.

Musicman1998 likes this.
  3. harmonica98

harmonica98 Forum Resident

'Trading Places' (1983) on the big screen. Bit of an annual tradition to watch this one at New Year.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  4. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Forum Resident

5. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

Finished out my 2017 movie-viewing slate with a primo slab of VHS trash:

"Terror In Beverly Hills" (1989)
    Arab terrorists kidnap the President's daughter, and only one man can save her - martial artist/former black-ops Marine/all around bad-ass Hack Stone, played by Frank Stallone, Sly's younger lookalike brother. Yup, that's the entire plot.
    This dollar-store wonder features wooden performances, cardboard sets, a mushy sound mix and all-around film making ineptitude from beginning to end. You'll laugh, you'll cheer, you'll cry tears of Z-Movie joy.

6. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

The Big Year

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

John Wick 2 a few days ago...freakin' fab!

8. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Forum Resident

Watched The Greatest Showman.

Entertaining. Lot of clapping at the end.

9. Michael

Battleship...great action! anyone else see and like this?

10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Member Of The Midnight Society

Silent Hill: Revelation.

11. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Forum Resident

KINGSMEN THE GOLDEN CIRCLE

ALL movies should be this FUN to watch!

It should win an OSCAR for best picture

Pacing was great, not a dull moment.

12. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

The Disaster Artist (2017)

''Makeup! Makeup! Come fix this disgusting body''. :laugh:

13. sentinel90125

sentinel90125 Forum Resident

Donnie Darko. I had never seen it before and was pretty impressed.

Jimmy B. and davidb1 like this.
  14. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

The Bishop's Wife from 1947. Now it's my favorite Christmas movie.

15. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I think the only movie worse than "The Room" was this one. I'm only half kidding. I had zero knowledge of the original movie so maybe the affection for it is lost on me, but I just didn't think this was very good, and Franco's portrayal of Tommy Wiseau, with his drunken speech pattern, just kind of fell flat for me.
    Now, Lady Bird is a different story. A classic coming of age story, Saoirse Ronan is absolutely winning as the on-screen portrayal of writer-director Greta Gerwig, and her tumultuous childhood growing up in Sacramento. This was probably one of the best reviewed movies of the year, and I agree-there will be awards action for sure, especially for Ronan, the always great Laurie Metcalf, and Gerwig's script. It reminded me of the last great coming of age story, Juno, although Ronan's range as an actor is much more nuanced that the wise-cracking character Ellen Page played. It also features nice turns by two very good up and coming actors, Lucas Hedges (Three Billboards, Manchester By The Sea) and Timothee Chalamet (Call Me By Your Name).

16. steveharris

steveharris Forum Resident

Anebelle Creation- A pretty good old fashion ghost/horror flick.

Michael likes this.
  17. keefer1970

"Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" (1988)
    In a 1940s Hollywood where humans and cartoon characters exist side by side, a down on his luck private detective helps a rabbit avoid a murder rap and uncovers a huge conspiracy. Featuring cameos by just about every famous cartoon character from the Disney and Warner Brothers stables and many more.
    Robert "Back To The Future" Zemeckis' landmark fantasy flick still manages to amaze after all these years. I've lost count of how many times I've seen this one but I never get tired of it.

beat_truck likes this.
  18. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Jumanji - Welcome To The Jungle (2017) - A lot funnier/more fun than I was expecting.

19. keefer1970

"The Brain" (1988)
    A mad scientist and his alien brain-creature pal have taken over the minds of everyone in a small town through specially doctored TV signals, and they're about to take it nationwide unless the local juvenile delinquent and his girlfriend can stop 'em.
    This awesomely trashy video-store fave steals a little bit of "The Blob," a little from "Videodrome," and a lot from "They Live." The title creature is one of the most ridiculous rubber monsters I've seen in ages - it looks like a giant piece of poop covered in K-Y Jelly. Hilariously bad, highly recommended!

Pinknik likes this.
  20. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Forum Resident

The Darkest Hour

21. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Member Of The Midnight Society

The Call with Halle Berry.

22. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

The African Queen
    I was disappointed by this one. I typically like most of the classic movies of that era that I see, but I didn't like The African Queen at all. I thought it was really boring and, despite the A-list cast, I didn't like or care about the characters or what happened to them.

23. Michael

I Am Wrath

24. Michael

I agree, but I watched this first...I did not see Annabelle 1...did you?

25. Michael

the Directors Cut is not good...