The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Jackson

Jackson Forum Resident

A terrific Jess Franco double feature.:righton:

[​IMG]

Matt Richardson likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Wunderlust

3. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Now available on Amazon Prime! Vince Vaughn -taking care of business...

[​IMG]

Nice Marmot likes this.
  4. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot demonic possession did wonders for my flexibility

Over the weekend:

Ben-Hur (2016) - Nice adventure movie wrapped around Christian history. Best scene? A Greek raid ship (with a Roman soldier tied to the front) bashing a Roman slave ship as viewed from within the Roman slave ship.
    Blackthorn (2011) - Butch Cassidy as an old man, in Bolivia.
    Strictly Sexual (2008) - Two L.A. women hire two guys they met in a bar to be sexual concubines. Sexy and fun. Methinks the little known actress Kristen Kerr is freaking hot.

[​IMG]

She's in Flight of the Living Dead: Outbreak on a Plane. I'm gonna have to give it a watch.

Matt Richardson likes this.
  5. Ice Cream Man (1995)

Clint Howard is the Ice Cream Man, a former mental patient and a serial killer! With a setup like that, I expected more fun than I got. There are 2-3 scenes that live up to the fun I expect from this type of movie. The rest is a dull slog, which is a shame. It has some pretty decent special effects, Clint has a certain charm, but it just has too many pacing issues to overcome.

The blu-ray from Vinegar Syndrome looks really nice. They do good work.

6. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

Oz the Great and Powerful (2013)

7. cyberocker

cyberocker New Member

It Might Get Loud!

Co-Produced by Jimmy Page

(Better Late Then Never)

Scope J likes this.
  8. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I have to tip my hat to them for performing 2K restorations of multiple Rudy Ray Moore films (Dolomite, Human Tornado, Disco Godfather, etc.). I can't imagine those sell in huge numbers (or at least enough to justify the cost of the restorations!).

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mylene and Pinknik like this.
  9. Jackson

Jackson Forum Resident

10. We are in a golden age of exploitation films coming out on blu-ray.

jhm likes this.
  11. Mylene

Mylene Forum Resident

Human Tornado is actually pretty funny. The others are just excuses for shoddy film making.

vapor minor likes this.
  12. samurai

samurai Forum Resident

Missouri Breaks 1976
    Weak story IMO but enjoyed the performances of Jack Nicholson,
    Harry Dean Stanton and Marlon Brando (strange character).

13. beat_truck

beat_truck Forum Resident

Slugs (1988)

Classic '80s B movie cheese.:uhhuh:
    Giant mutated flesh eating slugs grow in the sewer and come up through the toilets and sinks and attack people and whatever else gets in their way. Complete with bad acting, dumb dialog, gratuitous nudity, and LOTS of fake blood. Amazingly, I just read that it was actually based on a novel.:wtf: I'll bet that's a great read.:biglaugh: Fairly entertaining and far from the worst thing I've ever seen. I vaguely remember seeing it as a little kid, probably on USA Up All Night.

keefer1970 and Karnak like this.
  14. JerolW

JerolW Forum Resident

Almost Famous

jerol

15. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I haven't seen Human Tornado yet, but I intend to. Dolomite is considered a Blaxploitation classic.

I guess I'll need to cue up this awesome sendup soon!

Black Dynamite - genuinely funny stuff, but even funnier if you've seen the movies they are making fun of (like Dolomite).

[​IMG]

Mylene likes this.
  16. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

The fact they are released on blu-ray doesn't suprise me. The fact that they paid to do restorations from camera negatives does (but pleasantly so)!

Pinknik likes this.
  17. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

Akira
    I've never had any interest in anime before (primarily because of the kind of content the genre is mostly associated with), but I decided to give Akira a try. I'm glad I did, because I thought it was really good. I knew the general idea before going into it - bikers, telekinesis, and cyberpunk all somehow interconnecting - but I was surprised by how it all actually went together. The characters, the story, the ideas, the visuals, and pretty much everything else were all great.

18. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

ahhh just picked this up second hand on blu ray for about 8 dollars.
    haven't seen this in years, one of my favourite John Wayne films.
    [​IMG]

19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Listen to Me Marlon

The Brando 'autobiography' with his audio tapes accompanying footage. Spotty, jumping back and forth in time. Not a lot of film insights, lots of time spent on his demons that he wrestles with.
    Still worthwhile, though. Color footage of On the Waterfront. The tragedies of his later years are examined with being sordid.

20. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

My take on The Shape Of Water:
    I had ignored many of the reviews of this movie and all internet discussion of it as best as I could because I knew there would be WTF moments (it's Guillermo del Toro after all), and I didn't want to be spoiled. Man was I right.
    In fairness I won't spoil them here, either, but suffice to say that while my favorite movie of the year Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri had moments that made my jaw drop, The Shape Of Water ups the ante considerably, and not always for the better. Simply, it's the story of a cleaning person (Sally Hawkins in a tour de force vocalless role) who falls in love with a sea creature, because why not?
    There's obviously much more to the story, but to try to put this movie into context, it's kind of like a cross between La La Land and The Creature From The Black Lagoon. It has all of the lyricism of the former, with the title character of the latter. And I'm not kidding when I say the score to this movie is absolutely gorgeous (Alexandre Desplat), and adds so much to the story. Michael Shannon is on hand as an old fashioned baddie, and if I'm picking teams for a fight, I will always pick Octavia Spencer first. Richard Jenkins is his reliable excellent self and Michael Stuhlbarg makes anything he's in better.
    I had problems with much of this story, particularly the relationship between Hawkins and "Amphibian Man" (Doug Jones in a wet suit), but overall, we should be glad del Toro loves his monsters so much-he makes unique, technically dazzling movies that are at the same time frightening and charming, and never, ever boring.

21. steveharris

steveharris Forum Resident

Killing Gunther was actually a fun movie to see.:thumbsup:

22. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Forum Resident

23. Jack White

Jack White Forum Resident

Darkest Hour

24. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident

Watched the following movies this past month:
    Prisoners (2013)
    Arrival (2016)
    Coma (1978)

25. beat_truck

beat_truck Forum Resident

Graveyard Disturbance (1987)
    An Italian made for TV horror/comedy movie that didn't do a very good job in either category. Just dull and stupid for the most part. Not the good Italian horror cheese that I expected and normally enjoy. It felt kind of like a rip off/combination of the Goonies and Scooby Doo. I think they blew half of the budget running the fog machines through almost the entire movie.:rolleyes: