The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. JohnT

JohnT Forum Resident

11:55 ... Gritty but watchable.

2. DLD

DLD Forum Resident

Norman:The Slow Rise and Tragic Fall Of A Moderate New Your Fixer

Absolutely winning and believable performance by Richard Gere in this small, relatively quirky, flick. I don't think I'm giving any thing away here, it plays out exactly as the title suggests.

3. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Forum Resident

I Had a triple movie marathon.
    [​IMG]

4. harmonica98

harmonica98 Forum Resident

70mm blow-up of 'Terminator 2' (1991) - still a thrilling big screen experience.

5. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

You will meet a tall dark stranger.
    Excellent.

6. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Active Member

Great restoration by UCLA.
    [​IMG]

7. mBen989

mBen989 Forum Resident

Let It Be

[​IMG]

8. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Well-Known Member

The current Jumani 2.

jhm likes this.
  9. Terror Train with Jamie Lee Curtis.

10. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Resident

The Florida Project.
    This is one that definitely flew under the radar, and it shouldn't have. Every once in a while we get a movie with a standout performance by a child. A few years ago it was Jacob Tremblay in Room. This year it's Brooklyn Prince as Moonee, the child of a troubled single mom (played with naturalistic intensity by Bria Vinaite), who lives in a garishly painted welfare hotel called the Magic Castle, just a stones throw away from Disney World. We see Moonee spend her days getting into lots of trouble with friends that come and go, and at first this movie almost seems like a documentary about the dark underside of the American dream, except that as a child Moonee feels none of that, and just has a great time. Soon the movie turns it's focus towards the mom, and we are suddenly propelled to a rather shocking, and ultimately hopeful, ending. Prince's performance is exuberant and heartbreaking. Willem Dafoe is the indefatigable manager of the hotel, a real problem-solver, and he tries to help this little family in any way he can, while simultaneously dishing out the tough love. Not for everyone (really, this movie was sometimes too mundane to stick with), but with a powerful message about the strength of friendship, and the simple joys of childhood.

11. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Forum Resident

Just saw Darkest Hour about Churchhill.

Awesome performance by all.

12. beat_truck

beat_truck Active Member

The Return Of Josey Wales (1986)

A low budget, almost totally unknown sequel to The Outlaw Josey Wales. It was apparently filmed and released straight to VHS and has never been released on modern media. I have an original VHS copy I found a few years ago at Salvation Army that I never watched and nearly forgot about until I saw it on Youtube. It's watchable, but not very good at all. No Clint Eastwood.:( BLAND story, characters, acting and writing.:rolleyes: Some half hearted attempts at comedy that failed miserably. Hard to follow at times due to the poor writing, HORRENDOUS sound quality, and poor night time filming. I've seen movies from the early 30s that had as good or better SQ, and low budget movies from the 50s that looked WAY better.:shrug: I just tried my VHS copy and it is a little better quality than what's on Youtube. Maybe I'll rewatch it again someday and see if I get anything more out of it.

13. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

agreed Gary was fantastic. Some script clichés, but that's my sole whine

14. ktmabc

ktmabc New Member

15. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Wasn't the film Zathura basically Jumanji 2 :winkgrin:? My wife and I used to call it "Jumanji in space". It's literally almost the same film, but set in space.

16. Marc 74

Marc 74 Forum Resident

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Sicario

Ronm1 and Deuce66 like this.
  18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Hostiles (2018)
    Christian Bale western.

Michael likes this.
  19. xdawg

xdawg I heard it on the X

"Life" - sort of an Alien ripoff

20. schugh

schugh Well-Known Member

Barry Lyndon. I can't get over the cinematography.
    Never seen anything like it.

Mylene and Ronm1 like this.
  21. beat_truck

beat_truck Active Member

Train To Busan (2016)
    Basically a South Korean version of World War Z, except on a less grand scale. It was surprisingly good.:righton: It actually had characters I gave a damn about, decent acting, and OK effects. I liked it BETTER than WWZ, which I guess isn't necessarily saying a lot.:D It was recommended on another forum, otherwise I would have never known about it, or I would have overlooked it, figuring it was total crap. The only things I didn't like were the subtitles, and the zombies were the typical modern, fast, dinosaur shrieking, milky contact wearing type. I like the slow, Romero style zombies better.:edthumbs:

22. xdawg

xdawg I heard it on the X

"Insurgentes" - Sort of a documentary about Steven Wilson

23. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

Casablanca
    This is the second time I've seen it, the first time being a little less than a year ago. I liked it even better this time than I did the first. I didn't notice how beautifully shot it was until this time, and now that I've seen a lot of other classic films, I can really appreciate how perfectly executed everything is.

24. keefer1970

keefer1970 Forum Resident

"Paganini Horror" (1989)
    A struggling all-girl rock band discovers an unpublished piece by the Italian composer Paganini - aka "The Devil's Violinist," who allegedly sold his soul to Satan in exchange for his talent - and records it. While shooting a music video for the track at Paganini's former home, it awakens the spirit of the demonic musician, who doesn't take kindly to copycats taking credit for his work. Splattery murder and mayhem ensues.
    This entertainingly cheesy slice of Italian rock-horror schlock (directed by Luigi "Starcrash" Cozzi) has a couple of pretty girls in it and features some decent gore but everything else (acting, sets, dialogue, etc) is totally Z-grade. Good for a few laughs but not much else.

beat_truck likes this.
  25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Forum Resident