The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. keefer1970

keefer1970 Forum Resident

"Cherry 2000" (1987)
    In the desolate future of 2017 (ha!), a yuppie from the city hires a female "tracker" (Melanie Griffith) to guide him through the desert wastelands so he can find a replacement model for his beloved robot wife.
    This quirky cult action comedy is an entertainingly weird mash up of genres (cyberpunk sci-fi, Western, post-apocalypse, and yes, even romance) but somehow it manages to make all the clashing ideas and styles work.
    I had seen this flick once before on HBO but that was dog years ago, and I remembered next to nothing about it. I'm glad I revisited it cuz this "Cherry" was cool stuff. Recommended.

Pinknik and Ronm1 like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Saturday Night Fever BD

3. harmonica98

harmonica98 Forum Resident

'Dark River' (2017) - new British indie rural drama with the ever-reliable Ruth Wilson. Very good.

4. Claus LH

Claus LH Well-Known Member

"The Ritual" (2017, Bruckner) (Netflix streaming)

What to do with a great horror build-up? That way too often becomes a question with no good answer. You can play the audience like a violin, to a point, but what about the payoff? Can the material live up to it?
    "The Ritual" is made-for-Netflix, from a novel, and it keeps you in its grip for a good long while. Whether the last third is good enough depends on the viewer's demands.

Four buddies decide to go hiking in Sweden, as a memorial trip for a friend. They shouldn't have.

Romania, standing in for Sweden, provides gorgeous forest landscapes and Nature (much as in 'Deliverance', 'Southern Comfort' and 'The VVitch') becomes a player, a participant, as the story gets darker.
    Great sound design and moody visuals, along with some witty dialogue, keep things moving, but the script never really gets the characters out of the "male buddy" stereotypes. Rafe Spall fares the best as the character with the most baggage.

Kudos to David Bruckner for using the power of suggestion for as long as he does; it is rare to get in film these days. Eventually the payoff has to happen, and....it's OK, but is it good enough?
    For me, it's too perfunctory, given the spiritual overtones the script insists on; there is more to be told at that point. Instead, the revelations are only there to serve the buildup more than taking the film to the next level.

My ten cents....

5. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Cool Runnings (watching right now on LAFF)

angelo73 likes this.
  6. Coco

Beautiful film visually, musically and in message.
    Never forget the loved ones who have gone before us. <3

7. keefer1970

keefer1970 Forum Resident

"The Founder" (2016)
    Michael Keaton stars in this entertaining period piece as Ray Kroc, the struggling restaurant-supply salesman whose chance meeting with two California brothers with a unique twist on the standard '50s burgers-and-fries drive-in eventually becomes McDonald's, the biggest fast-food chain in the world. Dryly funny and well written with great performances all around, esp. by Keaton and Nick "Parks and Recreation" Offerman as the tightly-wound Richard McDonald. Good stuff.

8. metal134

metal134 Well-Known Member

That’s one of my favorites. I’ll never forget the first time I saw it. I watched it right before going to bed. I was so blown away that I spent about 3 hours just lying in bed trying to digest what I just saw.

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Den Of Thieves,

Solid action heist movie.
    Gerald Butler excels.

10. beat_truck

beat_truck Active Member

Back of Beyond (1995)
    An obscure Australian movie that has never had a DVD or Bluray release. I saw it on cable 20+ years ago, and could never find the name of again, until last week. It drove me crazy for years wanting to see it again. I did multiple Google and Imdb searches until I finally found it. Sadly, it was better the first time around when I was about 13 and didn't already know the ending.:sigh: Still glad to find it again.

Welcome To Woop Woop (1997)
    Another Australian movie. Completely bat crap crazy, but somewhat entertaining.

Joe Versus The Volcano (1990)
    Corny love/adventure movie with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. I've liked it since I was little.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Brave One...BD.

12. PCM7027

PCM7027 Forum Resident

All the President's Men.
    In a packed cinema, yesterday.

13. Ron Stone

Ron Stone Offending Member

I saw Wes Studi in person, touring the Native American Museum in D.C. some years ago. He is instantly recognizable!

alexpop likes this.
  14. Room, on Netflix a few days ago.

15. Claus LH

Claus LH Well-Known Member

"Wooden Crosses" (1932, Bernard) Eureka BR.

Raymond Bernard's fervent anti-war film follows a group of French soldiers in the hell of WW1. It's a poetic, engrossing, and dark film that drives home the idiocy of war.
    Bernard pushes the picture- and early sound technology as far as he can, creating intense battle scenes that sometimes feel like documentary footage.
    His films are still somewhat under-appreciated, which is strange, given this strong work and his epic adaptation of "Les Miserables."

Superb restoration (as usual) from L'Immagine Ritrovata in Bologna, Italy.

16. zonkaraz

zonkaraz Well-Known Member

Crime of Passion (1957) Classic Flix Blu-ray

Barbara Stanwyck....Sterling Hayden....Raymond Burr........what's not to like?

17. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Well-Known Member

Saw this in the theatre today. I'm a big fan of director Kiyoshi Kurosawa so I really enjoyed it and found the characters involving. The American trailer is a terrible representation of the movie as it mainly features the violent scenes.
    [​IMG]

18. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The Fat Black Pussycat (1963)
    What a f-ing ungodly mess!

[​IMG]

19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

:righton:

20. xdawg

xdawg I heard it on the X

"Logan" on Blu-ray

jhm and Tokyo Ghost like this.
  21. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

RACE (Blu-Ray)

22. Dude111

Dude111 Forum Resident

I last watched CELLULAR (2004) on VHS :)

23. Saw it at the movies when it was first released but I watched 'Trainspotting' on Netflix last weekend.

24. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Active Member

I watched it a second time as it turned up on Netflix.

Personal Shopper (2016)

A personal shopper and medium (Kristen Stewart) in France waits to be contacted by the spirit of her recently deceased brother. It’s a bit overlong and too vague for its own good. It doesn’t quite add up to much as there just isn’t much substance under the basic set up and the cool visual exterior. The hotel room sequence is enigmatically edited for ambiguity that the rest of the film doesn’t share. Why they made that one moment alone so confusing I can’t say. I don’t see what they gained by suddenly being super coy. I enjoyed the movie but it’s no masterpiece. The atmosphere it creates isn’t enough to replace the lack of a strong narrative.

-------------------------------------------------------------

[I would have posted this on an earlier thread about this film but they've all been locked.]

FYI

Sorcerer (1977) is on Film4 (UK TV channel) tonight at 11:20pm. Presumably it’s the new remastered edition.

The film has undergone a critical re-evaluation since getting a big section in the book Easy Riders, Raging Bulls (1998). Apparently Stephen King called it his favourite film.

I think this re-evaluation is BS. It's a technically badly made movie (very crude blocking and editing) and pretty boring. The whole first hour is boring and pointless. I strongly recommend fast-forwarding to the scene when the trucks leave the village and starting there as everything before it is tiresome and unnecessary setup.

Other opinions are available.

I'm going to record it and watch the second half just to see the remastering as I own the crap looking region 1 American DVD.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 5:29 AM
  25. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Journey's End.