The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. The Zodiac

The Zodiac God's Lonely Man

They'll probably give it a 4k restoration sooner or later. I'll gladly buy it again.

Michael likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'll buy the cheapest BD I can find...

3. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

This. Kind of like an unholy blend of Bergman, Tarkovsky, Tarr and Kurosawa's early forest scenes with a little dash of David Lynch thrown in.

November (2017) - IMDb

4. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

Just re-watched two Tom Cruise sci-fi flicks on back to back days; Edge Of Tomorrow and Oblivion. Really like those two

DLD likes this.
  5. DLD

DLD Forum Resident

A Kristin Wiig vehicle, Welcome To Me. Another nice dramatic performance from her in a good, but not great, flick.

6. Michael

Northmen A Viking Saga

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  7. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Forum Resident

[​IMG]

A little too cute but enjoyable. Plummer is great as the Keiser.

mrjinks likes this.
  8. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

The Blu-ray of Strangers On A Train.
    I saw a Hitchcock movie on Monday or so but I didn't like it so I didn't post about it.
    Strangers On a Train looked and was stunning. I have to see the special preview version of it that's on there in SD sometime.
    I stopped a featurette on the BD when it was showing me and talking about a Hitchcock one I haven't seen yet, so...
    so that's my next one for him I guess...
    But this I had to get this right away on Blu-ray after watching it via rental with On Demand. I knew I'd want to see it again, that once wasn't enough.

9. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I last watched SPEED (1994) on VHS :)

longdist01 likes this.
  10. Scope J

Scope J Forum Resident

11. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Yeah that's what I watched too. I honestly don't remember much about the original version but it seems like they spent more time developing the characters as they rode out to fight the aliens. I just wish they hadn't killed off Clancy Brown so early. His preacher was one of my favorite characters and it would've been interesting to hear his take on the proceedings. That was my one criticism also, that they never really dealt with the impact of what was going on other than to want their people back. When the aliens weren't on screen, they were kind of forgotten and it was just another western. Maybe they just weren't much for contemplation in the old west.

Michael likes this.
  12. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Can't stop buying music.

Just watched the Kino Lorber DVD of King Hu's "Legend of the Mountain." I love Hu's visual style and this restored (191 minutes) version felt maybe half as long.

13. aceman400

aceman400 Black Triangle Fan

Oceans Eight last night

14. Michael

LOL, yea I noticed that too...I'd say because the idea was so far fetched that we cannot get our heads around Aliens in the old west! but it worked...

15. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

The Post. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

longdist01 likes this.
  16. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

Stony Island (2012)

17. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Stir of Echoes--Kevin Bacon, ghost story, it was okay.

Ronm1 likes this.
  18. Michael

Run All Night BD

19. John54

John54 Forum Resident

The Great Race

Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis, Natalie Wood, Peter Falk. Hilarious!

20. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

Solo, last Night.
    Not great, mediocre

21. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Vampira The Movie (2006) - I was hoping to see some clips of Vampira in action but I guess at the time that they made this, most of the original clips were thought lost. What we get instead is a long interview with Maila Nurmi who turns out to have a very unique and entertaining world view on things. This doc is strangely constructed in that it front loads the interview and then shows a bunch of talking head clips at the end. Frankly, it's a bit of a mess, but a fascinating mess indeed if you are predisposed to this stuff, as I am. I guess they've found and restored some of her old videos since this film and that is the subject of yet another doc. My research continues...

Thor: The Dark World (2013) - It's a little clunky but I still enjoy the Dark World adventure. It's a decent follow-up to the first movie and is probably the last of Jane Foster that we're going to see in the MCU. It's interesting how completely Ragnarok wiped out all the world building they did in this movie. Thor's rowdy comrades were one of the highlights here and it was sad to see them disposed of so callously in Ragnarok. Marvel should know that, for us fan boys, we get just as attached to secondary characters as we do the principles. Lady Sif has a few nice moments and I think they missed an opportunity to build up the potential triangle between her, Thor and Jane. Everyone is always so busy running around trying to save Asgard from being destroyed that there isn't a lot of time for interpersonal drama.

Angel-A (2005) - A small time hustler on a massive losing streak is about to cash in his chips when he is visited by a beautiful angel who helps him face up to his responsibility and learn to love himself in the process. That's basically all there is to it, but it's the way the story is told that is the draw here. The acting is top notch - even though it was all in French, I found the performances affecting. The black & white cinematography is kind of breathtaking and seems intended as something of a love letter to the city of Paris. This is a little movie about the problems of little people but I think it's one of Luc Besson's better later films and deserves consideration among his best work overall.

22. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

Suspicion, from 1941, with Cary Grant and Joan Fontaine.

Ruined by the ending. It was not what Hitchcock wanted I now found out, which makes sense as the ending was so terrible.

23. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

The Vanishing of Sidney Hall. Logan Lerman stars as a troubled writer in this drama, which seems him playing the character as a teenager, in his early twenties, and around the age of thirty. Critics absolutely savaged it on the whole, but I'm not sure why. There are some missteps, that's for sure. There are moments when it is pretentious, and the final five minutes are so are really badly judged. But it's really nicely made, Lerman is superb (as he always seems to be), and the non-linear narrative keeps you on your toes. This missed the cinemas in the UK completely, I think, and has hit Amazon streaming instead during the last week.

I also caught up on Happy Death Day, which was an entertaining popcorn film, and a kind of horror(ish) take on Groundhog Day. Hardly the best film ever made, but it does what it says on the tin, and does it well.

24. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Annihilation

[​IMG]

IronWaffle and Morpheus like this.
  25. Gary7704

Gary7704 Forum Resident

Sing Street