The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Thievius

Thievius Blue Öyster Cultist

King Creole (1958)

It was pretty good! Nice to see Elvis in a film that's not another take on Beach Blanket Bingo.

[​IMG]

2. Wingman

Wingman Bored of the Rings

"Mildred Peirce" with Kate Winslett. Although it was a 5 part HBO series, the credits state that it's a film so, I think it fits this thread. Anyway, it sucked, big time. I'd like that 5 hours of my life returned, with interest.

3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Sultan Of Snark

4. Borgia

Borgia Forum Resident

Hereditary....still digesting it, but I would advise anyone to see it. Very good.

5. xdawg

xdawg Skating away...........

"Death Wish" w/ Bruce Willis

6. The Battle of El Alamein (1969)

[​IMG]

From Rotten Tomatoes........

No relation to the 1953 Film El Alamein, The Battle of El Alamein was a French-Italian coproduction, largely lensed in Spain. Set during the titular desert battle of 1942, the film departs from expectation by concentrating on the Axis point of view. Though they mistrust one another, the German and Italian troops are forced to work shoulder to shoulder to ward off the British. And talk about revisionist history: Rommel (Robert Hossein) is the hero of the piece, and Montgomery (Michael Rennie) is the villain! :crazy: Battle of El Alamein would make a fascinating triple feature with Five Graves to Cairo (1943) and The Desert Fox (1953).
    The Battle of El Alamein

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

SPY...

DLD and jhm like this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Holiday

9. Baby Driver

10. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Forum Resident

Oceans 8.

I liked it but not nearly as much as Oceans 11.

11. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

Donnie Darko Theatrical Cut BD, from the 4 disc set.
    [​IMG]
    I have to now see again the Director's Cut version sometime soon. There's a ton of stuff in this set; just the Blu-ray of Strangers On A Train took me two days (to see the Preview Version which was released in the UK), so this...
    It came so quick, I planned on watching Harvey again first, ha ha, but, they arrived the same day, yesterday.

"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!"

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  12. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I last watched Savage Harvest (1981) on VHS :)

13. carrick doone

carrick doone Forum Resident

Just watched Oceans 8. Good passable fare. About as many plot holes as Oceans 13 which kept me thinking about that and not being in the movie. Characters are fun. It looks a bit patched together and just doesn't sparkle with much life after awhile. That's not just me, my spouse was even more critical.

14. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Kubo and the Two Strings (2016) - Gorgeous stop-motion animation film about a boy who is a master story teller and uses his magical samisen to bring his origami characters to life. This is one of those epic quest movies where the boy must find a golden suit of armor to escape the clutches of his evil grandfather who wants to steal his one good eye. The boy is joined on his quest by Charlize Theron as the requisite monkey, because there is always a monkey in these things, and a giant samurai beetle played by Matthew McConaughey, who I thought would be lame but turns out to be pretty funny. This one can be enjoyed on a pure eye candy level but it's a pretty good little coming of age flick too.

Battle Queen 2020 (2001) - I guess Julie Strain finally got to make her Heavy Metal movie. In the future (and only TWO years from now! Yikes!) the Earth is hit by a meteor and of course, society is immediately divided into the the privileged Elites, who get to live above ground and party and have indiscriminate sex all day and the Underground Dwellers who wallow in filth and disease and barely have enough to eat. Julie is a Dweller who has used her...um, assets to rise through the ranks and become the head of the concubines, which is important because the Elites are a very kinky lot. But when Julie finds out that the Elites are using Dweller DNA to prolong their lives, she decided that's enough and joins the Rebel Resistance and Battle Queen is born. Julie Strain is a total pro and knows exactly what's expected in films like this. She gets naked so often it's a wonder she bothered to wear clothes at all. If Andy Sidaris made a Sci-Fi film, it would have looked a lot like this.

Tango & Cash (1989) - I remember this movie got dumped on, not just because of it's sheer ridiculousness but because it basically signaled the end of an era for a specific type of action movie that was basically running out of gas by the end of the 1980's. In that sense, it can be enjoyed as an excessive last hurrah celebration of all things spandex, crazy hairdo's and grating synth scores. Kurt and Sly run around trading groaning one liners about the size of their 'guns' while blowing away bad guys and making things explode and that's pretty much all there is to it. The secret weapon here is Jack Palance as the bad guy, determined to get Tango & Cash, Cash & Tango out of the way so that he can continue with his nefarious deeds. Jack likes to play intricate games with his enemies and dote on his pet rats who he actually kisses in one scene. It's one of the special performances that deliriously elevates the utter absurdity of everything around it. Probably the guiltiest of guilty pleasure but as Patton said: God help me, I do love it so.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Forum Resident

American Made - I enjoyed this movie way more than I thought I would. 4/5

Barry Seal - Wikipedia

[​IMG]

Barry Seal, a TWA pilot, is recruited by the CIA to provide reconnaissance on the burgeoning communist threat in Central America and soon finds himself in charge of one of the biggest covert CIA operations in the history of the United States that spawned the birth of the Medellin cartel and eventually almost brought down the Reagan White House with the Iran Contra scandal.

[​IMG]

DLD and davidb1 like this.
  16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Solo

Yes, it's not a Star Wars movie, it's more like an Indiana Jones movie on other planets. Enjoyable for what it is.
    Woody is having a lot of fun.

17. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

I made the mistake of watching Black Panther. I thought it was going to be just another popcorn movie, but the sanctimony was unbearable.

Wingman likes this.
  18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Beyond Skyline- BD Steelbook for 5.00.
    Not bad sci fi b-movie with Frank Grillo. Think Aliens vs Predator meets The RAID :D

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  19. Dear 23

Dear 23 Forum Resident

Lincoln (2012)

longdist01 likes this.
  20. Hellsangel

Hellsangel New Member

The last memorable movie I watched recently was The Fighter. I haven’t seen Christian Bale act better.

21. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Weird Documentary Double Feature Night

My Winnipeg (2007) - Guy Maddin pays tribute to his home town with a collage of film clips both historical and dramatic. Along the way, we learn about how the town was founded, some possibly fictionalized stories of Maddin's life growing up and a whole lot about the state of Winnipeg hockey. The visuals and juxtaposition of images is startling, beautiful and funny. Things get pretty weird toward the end where Guy imagines a world where the Nazi's have won the war and the denizens of Winnipeg are living on rooftops waiting for salvation in the form of 'Citizen Girl', but I'm learning this is pretty much par for the course with Mr. Maddin. My DVD also came with some film shorts, which are equally brilliant. My favorite is 'Spanky: To The Pier and Back', where Maddin turns a walk with his pet pug into a Bergmanesque meditation.

Dennis Hopper: American Dreamer (1975) - Documentary captures Hopper as he was going through the process of editing The Last Movie while surrounded by plenty of drink, drugs, girls and various hangers on. Dennis pontificates, infuriates, inspires and manipulates in equal measure, often spouting hippy dippy nonsense for the express purpose of getting in some girls pants. There is a spiritual encounter with a bunch of girls in a bedroom that comes off a little Manson-y at first and ends with Dennis showing his skinny ass to the ladies. The best parts are when he is in the editing room with a permanently pained and anxious look on his face as he tries to carve something tangible out of all the little pieces of film. The film maker later states that the whole thing is actually staged - that Dennis is simply an actor playing an actor named Dennis Hopper but I don't buy it. Some of the scenes are just too raw to have been faked. I can definitely see where Hopper would have been a real handful to be around in those days, but if you are a fan, as I am, it's a pretty interesting film about a very iconoclastic guy trying to find his artistic voice amid much distraction.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    harmonica98 likes this.
  22. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Forum Resident

23. harmonica98

harmonica98 Forum Resident

'Last Tango in Paris' (1972) on Netflix. I think the soundtrack was the best part.

California Couple likes this.
  24. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

The Director's Cut of Donnie Darko.
    Although when I first saw this version, I liked how it explained a lot more,
    I don't like this version as much now,
    and vastly prefer the Theatrical release.

25. DLD

DLD Forum Resident

Couldn't sleep so I got up and Bad Lieutenant was on. Probably top 5 most depressing movies of all time.

davidb1 likes this.