The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

It Conquered the World (1956) - I'm starting to draw conclusions in my summer-long exploitation fest. One is that the movies Roger Corman directed are infinitely better than the ones he just produced. Roger produced a lot of unwatchable crap, especially in the 1970's and some of this stuff is preserved for no other reason than that it has his name associated with it. I think Roger's golden period was the 1950's and this is probably my favorite of the Sci-Fi films he made at that time. Lee Van Cleef gets possessed by a monster that looks like a giant piece of okra and is one of the coolest creatures ever conceived. Lee helps the monster try to take over the world and only Peter Graves can stop him. Beverly Garland plays Lee's wife, who gets fed up with the whole thing and tries to take on the creature herself, Ripley style. I won't give away the ending but thank God for Dick Miller. As usual, there is lots of pontificating about the state of the world and whether it would be a better place if we were ruled by alien overlords. Peter also gives an impassioned speech about the importance of personal responsibility at the end. Wow. If my teachers had leavened their lectures with Sci-Fi monsters from outer space, I might have done better in school.

MerseyBeatle and REMASTERANTER like this.
  2. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

Destry Rides Again

Before that, Dolph Lundgren's classic!: Command Performance!

When Russian Special Forces tell you to "stay down"... STAY DOWN... :agree:

3. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

92 or 09?

4. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

5. DLD

DLD Forum Resident

'92, Keitel

dmiller458 likes this.
  6. California Couple

California Couple local joker

I did not think it was that bad, but the wife hated it.

7. clayton

clayton Forum Resident

Watch on the Rhine

8. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Difficult to like a movie when the protagonist is such a lowlife.

9. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

Ronm1 likes this.
  10. DLD

DLD Forum Resident

I didn't think it was necessarily bad but, not my cuppa, and I usually love "dark". Saw it at 2 in the a.m. when wife was counting sheep.

11. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

My Architect 2003 (Biography/Documentary)

IronWaffle likes this.
  12. steveharris

steveharris Forum Resident

Death Wish remake Much better than my neighbors AKA Siskel & Ebert rated it.Quite enjoyable with even SOME changes for the better.The original of course is more realistic.

Mel Gibson in the family good feeling flick-The Road Warrior-After all these years still an all too close to home depiction of what life after the holocaust will have in store for me and you.:shake:

samthesham likes this.
  13. Holerbot6000

Hard Hunted (1993) - The Agency's arch nemesis Kane is back and this time he wants a 'nuclear weapon trigger' that is hidden in a jade Buddha. He also has a massive vendetta against Donna and Nicole and so tries to kill them with a mini helicopter full of weapons. Donna ends up getting kidnapped, gets conked on the head and forgets who she is until she hears herself referred to as 'Blondie' by the local love DJ who has huge breasts and broadcasts nothing but pure sexual innuendo. Donna also apparently forgets that she is supposed to be taking her clothes off at regular intervals. I don't think we even get one of her famous changing outfits scenes. Once again, thank God for stalwart Cynthia Brimhall for picking up the nudity slack, even though we have to sit through another one of her excruciating song and dance numbers. Anyway, Nicole and the hunk agents go around shooting people and blowing stuff up looking for Donna and bla bla bla. These movies are frankly starting to run together and this one is a little flat, like everyone is bored with the premise and just going through the paces. When the girls can't even be bothered to find time to take their clothes off, you know there is a problem.

Prime Cut (1972) - This could easily have served as the sequel to Point Blank, if Walker had decided to become a hitter for the Irish mob and went on to have new adventures. This one isn't as nihilistic as Point Blank but it comes pretty close. Michael Ritchie is an interesting director in that he made big Hollywood movies but still managed to imbue them with his own eccentric sensibilities, like when he stops the action so that the characters can watch a Cadillac get destroyed by a giant threshing machine. Gene Hackman plays 'Mary Ann', the owner of a cattle ranch and slaughterhouse, who owes the Irish Mob $500k and doesn't want to pay, so keeps turning their hitmen into sausages. Enter no nonsense Lee Marvin who is determined to set things straight. What follows is a series of set pieces where they go toe to toe and it's fun to see these two powerhouse actors play off each other. Probably the most notorious scene is a livestock show featuring drugged out, naked girls lying in animal pens to be picked over by potential buyers, because it's all meat to Mary Ann. Weird, hilarious and a little anarchistic, this is one of those movies that is absolutely steeped in the 70's. I don't see Hollywood remaking this one any time soon.

14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

saw it one summer day at the local theater that let kids sneak in, particularly since the matinees were sparsely attended. That was Sissy Spacek in one of those pens! Gene totally held his own with an old hand like Lee, a sign of the good things to come. There was a trailer made to hype the movie that focuses on the thresher vs Caddy, it took some doing to get the scene to happen. Some real cool bloodshed at the end that got us 15 year olds all pumped up.

Still remember this:
    Lee to Gene: "you eat guts."
    Gene, chomping on food: "yea" Then, that Gene smile: "I like 'em."

15. Holerbot6000

Yeah this must have been an early film in Sissy's career but you can already tell she had a certain quality about her. She is not just the requisite bimbo. The scenes she has with Lee are really good and not just because she is wearing a see-through dress.

16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Cronenberg's "A Dangerous Method".
    Good movie.

17. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

Chinatown. :thumbsdow

Waste of two hours.

18. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Jean-Luc Godards 1960 masterpiece "Breathless" with Jean-Paul Belmondo & Jean Seberg...

This film innisuated the French New Wave of film making which would in turn influence the world of cinema,the Beatles A Hard Days Night was definitely influenced by Breathless....

Cinema would forever be changed by this B&W French film...

Richard Gere did a horrid remake in the 1980s..skip that garbage get the real thing

Purple Jim likes this.
  19. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Forum Resident

Runaway Jury.

Well done by all...

20. Paulette

Paulette The way I feel is the way I am.

Righteous Kill

21. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

My wife & myself were out for a little movie going when RW was first released....

We didn't keep up with movies that much & had no idea who Mel Gibson was but the marquee poster enticed us to see RW..

Man we were totally blown away by it!

Nothing like it before in the movies,I still pull the movie out & view it periodically...

Only Mel Gibson movie I have ever cared for (Mad Max was OK)

steveharris likes this.
  22. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

Network on DVD.

Incredible film. Brilliant dialogue and performances. Still and will always hold up.

IronWaffle and SuntoryTime like this.
  23. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Good satire is rare, great satire is almost once a generation

IronWaffle and Jimmy B. like this.
  24. Marc 74

Marc 74 Forum Resident

25. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident