The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Last few movies I watched:

Nobody Wants To Be Benny (TV film)

Homeward Bound II: Lost In San Francisco

Mr. Mom

Charlotte’s Web

Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Watching at the moment)

2. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Cargo--Martin Freeman, survival filmed set in the outback with zombies. I know it's a tired genre for the most part, but this one has an emotional pull to it and great scenery of Australia.

Ghostworld likes this.
  3. Eddy Baggins

Eddy Baggins Member

Darkest Hour - Blu-ray

4. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Just thought I'd post this here b/c it's movie related. The Shining podcast & they have other movie related ones as well.

5. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

A Separation

Not sure I can go to sleep for a bit. Heartbreaking drama.

mrjinks likes this.
  6. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

-Amarcord - 7/10
    -Rocco and his brothers - 8.5/10
    -The cat (les chat) - 9/10
    -Contempt (les mepris) - 8/10
    -La Caza - 8.5/10
    -Ana-ta-han - 10/10

Kundera the joke. likes this.
  7. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot not pepsi cola, more like holy water

Is this The Bad Batch? A different movie for most tastes, if it is. The moral of the story? Good girls make bad choices and will fall for people who will eat them? It's why "nice" guys can't get dates.

Ghostworld likes this.
  8. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Forum Resident

9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Forum Resident

I just have to admire a movie where the “hero” unflinchingly dines on people. A sort of “I can’t believe this movie” gratification

Nice Marmot likes this.
  10. Mylene

Mylene Forum Resident

Goldstone (2016) An Aboriginal detective (Aaron Pederson trying to look like Nick Cave) goes to a remote mining town to search for a missing Asian prostitute which ends in a bloodbath involving a motorcycle gang. Film makes no sense (people say one thing and in the next scene are doing the exact opposite). Jackie Weaver plays the mayor, Diver Dan (from Sea Change) runs the mine.

11. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Can't stop buying music.

One of my favorite '50's scifi movies and it has Peter Gunn's jazz singing girl friend, Lola Albright.
    [​IMG]

12. xdawg

xdawg I heard it on the X

"The Black Panther" - not horrible, but still my least favorite of the Marvel Movies.

13. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Winchester '73 (1950) - The first (?) of Anthony Mann's many westerns with James Stewart as a kind of anti-hero cowpoke, obsessed with hunting down his no good outlaw brother and the role a famously rare 'One in a Thousand' Winchester plays in their destiny together. This is already considered a classic so there isn't much of worth I can add, other than to say that this is the movie that introduced me to Dan Durea. His crazy cool performance as flamboyant outlaw Waco Johnny Dean is a highlight of the second half of the movie and helps underscore one of the central themes of what courage means to different types of men.

She-Gods of Shark Reef (1958) - While I was watching this, I was betting that it was one of those mega-cheap secondary movies that Roger Corman always shot in the early days to get maximum bang for his buck. A quick perusal of IMDB proved me correct and interestingly, the primary film, something called 'Naked Paradise', seems to have been forgotten. If you can get past the Chamber of Commerce Travelogue cheapness of this thing, it's actually a pretty clever take on the 'Planet of Women' Scifi trope with two men, fugitives from justice, getting shipwrecked on an island populated entirely with women. Naturally, trouble ensues and things take on a strangely homoerotic tone as the half naked men spend all their time together until one of them ultimately falls for a native girl and the other gets a little bitchy about it. Featuring human sacrifice, hungry sharks, a cool underwater She-God temple and lots and lots of stock footage!

harmonica98 likes this.
  14. Wingman

Wingman Forum Resident

"The Grand Budapest Hotel". I hope this one is studied at film schools everywhere.

Kundera the joke. and Jimmy B. like this.
  15. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

Anatomy Of A Murder (1959), starring James Stewart. With Lee Remick and...oh boy what a cast.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  16. Dear 23

Dear 23 Forum Resident

Molly's Game

17. Kundera the joke.

Kundera the joke. Senior Member

[​IMG]

(Google) In a small town in Nazi-occupied Slovakia during World War II, decent but timid carpenter Tono (Jozef Kroner) is named "Aryan comptroller" of a button store owned by an old Jewish widow, Rozalie (Ida Kaminska). Since the post comes with a salary and standing in the town's corrupt hierarchy, Tono wrestles with greed and guilt as he and Rozalie gradually befriend each other. When the authorities order all Jews in town to be rounded up, Tono faces a moral dilemma unlike any he's known before.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    MortSahlFan likes this.
  18. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

Wond

Great movie!

19. Kundera the joke.

Kundera the joke. Senior Member

Isn’t it just? Two great lead performances and quite a lot of humour that doesn’t distract from the subject matter.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  20. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

oooh I ordered that Blu Ray a while back but didn't get around to watching it... must make some time for it soon!

21. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

"The Maus" (2017, Perreda) (Netflix UHD streaming):

Young couple (he German, she Bosnian) are stuck in Serbian forest. Things get down to survival...

"The Maus" wants to be an allegory about what war does to people, but at its center, it is very much an old-school exploitation flick.
    Two Serb men show up and the girl becomes the center of attention because she is Bosnian (and because she is sexy; let's not kid ourselves in a film like this :))

Slow and tense, with explosions of brutality, the film makes sure who to root for. In the spirit of hard-core horror, civility is a useless luxury here. Some of the most teeth-grinding moments are ones where the boyfriend tries to reason with the men.
    Alma Terzig is superb as the girl. While the boyfriend natters on about "helping her", she is completely in tune with the country and the danger ahead, like an animal about to be attacked.
    Aleksandar Seksan and Sanin Milavic join the select list of Memorable Nasty Men in Films. Their casual amusement and capacity for seemingly bottomless violence puts them squarely with the Mountain Men from "Deliverance", the degenerates from "I Spit on Your Grave" and the townsfolk from "Straw Dogs."

The film has some recurring religious ideas involving an amulet and a mysterious force, but they are badly incorporated.
    The ending, without describing anything, is, to me, out of place and weak.

"The Maus" is well worth seeing. It is tense, very well directed, acted, shot and edited. It falls down by laying on the notion of the Power of Good Deeds after it has already established that this is a jungle and there is only hate and survival.
    If the director had let the baser instincts rule and just gone full house on the depravity, it would have driven home the very point of the film. Still, it is a thoughtfully done movie that isn't afraid of being genuinely upsetting.

Morpheus likes this.
  22. Deuce66

Deuce66 Forum Resident

The Birth of a Nation

[​IMG]

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Forum Resident

Believe it or not, this movie gave me nightmares for years. The image of those crystalline blocks rising up often reappeared in my dreams.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  24. harmonica98

harmonica98 Forum Resident

'Leave no Trace' (2018) - new one from Debra Granik (Winter's Bone). Very, very good.

25. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

The Missing--a retelling of John Ford's The Searchers where a young woman is kidnapped by Indians and her mother and her mother's estranged father try to get her back. I like how they used Indian lore and the way their viewed things in the movie. A bit overlong, but I could still enjoy it.

Claus LH likes this.