The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

"Live And Let Die" (1973)
    Roger Moore's first mission as 007 was obviously inspired by the then-current "blaxploitation" film craze, as James Bond visits Harlem, New Orleans and the Caribbean on the trail of an island diplomat and heroin smuggler (Yaphet Kotto) with a voodoo witch doctor and a tarot card reader on his payroll.
    This one has aged pretty terribly but it's still a fairly entertaining debut for Sir Roger, and of course the theme song by Paul McCartney is a stone cold classic.

2. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I'm reading a book about 60's femme fatales right now and Jane Seymour says she wanted Solitaire to be much darker and more voodoo oriented but that she was basically reduced to being arm candy by the producers. She didn't care for being a Bond Girl too much.

I still think 'Live' was Roger Moore's shining moment as Bond. At some point shortly thereafter he just stopped taking any of it seriously and it showed. Given the quality of the movies, I can't say I blame him.

3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

4. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

The Other Side Of The Wind plus the two documentaries that go with it. Need to watch it again. I'm inclined to think that it would not have been a commercial success but would have been hugely influential so pretty much like Orson's other directorial features !
    Having been a massive fan of Welles for many years it was really exciting getting to see this film in some form at last. I hope we can get to see some more of his unfinished / incomplete work rather than it languishing in film cans. Denis Hopper once described Brian Wilson as the Orson Welles of Rock. The Other Side Of The Wind remains the "Smile" of the film world.

5. MikaelaArsenault

6. keefer1970

"1922" (2017)
    A Nebraska farmer attempts to cover up his wife's murder, which leads to a series of increasingly unfortunate events in this slow burning Netflix original, based on a Stephen King novella (which I am unfamiliar with). This flick feels about fifteen minutes too long but otherwise it was a well done, occasionally disturbing little period piece, with a great performance by Thomas Jane as the murderous hubby.

7. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Can't stop buying music.

"The Death of Stalin" - Pretty funny satire of Russian politics. Steve Buscemi as Kruschev and Michael Palin as a meek Molotov stood out for me.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

In Order of Disappearance

9. Michael

excellent!

10. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Freeway - Crazy **** film!!!

Tim S and Michael like this.
  11. MikaelaArsenault

Revenge Of The Nerds

Life Is Beautiful

12. keefer1970

"Sinister Squad" (2016)
    If you thought DC's "Suicide Squad" was bad, wait till you get a load of this knock-off from our friends at The Asylum. In "Sinister Squad," fairy tale characters Alice and Goldilocks assemble a team of storybook villains including Rumplestiltskin, the Queen of Hearts, and The Big Bad Wolf to help them battle Death himself, who wants to escape into the "real" world... or something. The story quickly descends into a hopeless muddle, and all you're left with is a bunch of bad actors in Halloween store costumes, running around a warehouse beating the crap out of each other for 90 minutes.
    AVOID.

The Panda likes this.
  13. Michael

never falls to entertain...: )

longdist01 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  14. Michael

yea fabulous! when are we going to get a BD of this? we don't even have an anamorphic widescreen DVD! prove me wrong! please!

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  15. Holerbot6000

Deeply Discounted Documentary Night

Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired (2008) - Strange name for a strange film. I thought it might be more about how difficult it is to separate an artists work from their actions, but this was pretty much all about the scandal where Polanski drugged and bedded a 13 year old girl. The movie seems to want to make an argument that there was a direct correlation between Polanski's taste for young girls, which he is very forthright about in interviews, and the death of his wife, Sharon Tate, but the whole thing is a real muddle. The question though of whether we can appreciate the art of someone who has committed a heinous act would make a good topic for a documentary in itself. Anyway, I can see why this one was in the bargain bin.

Sex at 24 Frames Per Second (2003) - A history of sex in the cinema Playboy style, which means there are lots of references to playmates, Hugh Hefner as the father of the sexual revolution, and how much fun the Playboy Mansion was in the 70's before they started getting diseases they couldn't wash off. This doc tries to cover a lot of ground so naturally it just skims the surface, touching on all the usual suspects and interviewing such noted cinephiles as Shannon Tweed. There are also lots of clips of famous actresses showing their boobies and some of Diane Lane in a film I forgot the name of where she gets down repeatedly in most graphic fashion. May need to seek that one out. Anyway, with all the crazy docs I have about Grindhouse and exploitation fare, it's kinda fun to have one that covers mainstream sleaze as well. I always like to get the complete picture.

16. All Down The Line

All Down The Line Forum Resident

Sounds like you do.
    The Polanski one is strange, the girl wrote a book about it and Polanski, post offence even wrote letters to her.
    Re; Diane Lane, was that the film where her lover was killed?

17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Sydney Pollock's "The Scalphunters"

Nicely shot and a good story but it's let down by the light comedy tone which doesn't fit the quite violent and racist goings on. Still, I enjoyed it. It's almost a "buddy movie".

18. Holerbot6000

They didn't say. They just showed her rutting away in various locations (including a bathroom stall!) with some young guy and vaguely worrying about getting caught. I reckon Playboy probably produced it or it was to be heavily featured on the Playboy Channel because they showed more clips from that movie than anything else. Unfortunately the name was completely generic and forgettable, obviously. I will likely have to go back to it at some point.

19. All Down The Line

All Down The Line Forum Resident

I had it on DVD but the name escapes me, it even has two alternate endings.
    No not a Playboy Production.

20. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

The Broadway Melody (1929).

I'm highly interested in cinema history, so the first musical movie, which also happened to have been the Academy's first best picture winner with sound, was a must for me. The directing is weird, to say the least - the cutting still screams 'silent film' and it's obvious many actors hadn't yet been familiar with shooting 'talkies'. But, I enjoyed it nonetheless - the starring trio were all very entertaining, as was that Jack Worriner guy. Highly interesting glance at America and its show biz just before the great depression hit big.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  21. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

Woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't sleep. Turned on the TV and "A Clockwork Orange" happened to be on a cable channel.

Great art flick but I still find the rape scenes unsettling.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  22. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I last watched THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION (1994) on VHS :)

jhm, Jimmy B. and BLUESJAZZMAN like this.
  23. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

My last movie I saw, from a couple nights ago:
    [​IMG]

24. HenryH

HenryH Forum Resident

25. Tim S

Tim S Forum Resident

You'll never convince me that Reese Witherspoon has even given a better performance than this. TAlk about a live wire!

She's disowned the whole thing - surprised she hasn't bought out the rights to it and tried to make it disappear forever.

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.