The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I suspect ability to enjoy that film may be entirely predicated on how much Reese Witherspoon you can take. I discovered that my Reese tolerance threshold is very very low. That's what I like about Christina Lindberg - she's hot, she's weird and she almost never talks.

2. Tim S

Tim S Forum Resident

I'm sure you're right - if you don't like Reese, you won't like this. I don't love her, but I do like her a lot. I also really liked hearing a real honest-to-goodness white trash Tennessee accent on film. For better or worse I've known plenty of people like Vanessa Lutz, so as bizzare as this movie was, I could still relate to her character and enjoy it.

3. Lonecat

Lonecat Forum Resident

[​IMG]

All Down The Line likes this.
  4. Lonecat

Lonecat Forum Resident

I watched the James Whale Frankenstein last evening. I like to re-watch the Universal Frankenstein and Creature From the Black Lagoon films around Halloween. Im a little late this year.

5. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

I agree. She was awesome in this film.

6. BLUESJAZZMAN

Mr Nobody - Very strange but mind blowing film.

phil1db likes this.
  7. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

Election (1999), starring Matthew Broderick and Reese Witherspoon.
    A very good film, I hadn't seen this in around 8 to 10 years or so and really enjoyed it.
    Very clever, well-directed and well-shot.

However there's one really evil person in this (not one of the main stars) and her best friend's reaction is a bit strange...as is her own behavior...

Lonecat and Tim S like this.
  8. steveharris

steveharris Forum Resident

I watched Gremlins the other night on tv.

........and I remember the 80`s cereal juingle-
    Gremlins,gremlins,,bite after bite,what a tasty way to satisfy a gremlin appetite!

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  9. Tim S

Tim S Forum Resident

Witherspoon's second best role - I agree with all you have said here.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  10. Holerbot6000

Aha! Thank you very much. Diane Lane is just dead sexy.

11. Holerbot6000

Witchfinder General (1968) - Vincent Price made one more Edgar Allen Poe story without Roger Corman about a charlatan witchfinder and his sadistic henchman who persecute villagers who have been accused of witchcraft. This is an unrelentingly grim film that was directed by someone named Michael Reeves, who was supposed to be some kind of young hotshot, but it feels terribly clumsy to me. The pacing is turgid and everything just seems a little off. It's an interesting story but watching it unfold actually made me appreciate what a good film maker Roger Corman really is because he would have made it much tighter and more cohesive. It's not a bad film; it just feels like it could have been a lot better in the hands of a more accomplished director.

R100 (2013) - I was desperately in need of a good WTF movie and I can almost always count on Japanese cinema to fill the bill. A salaryman type with a young son and who's wife is in a coma also happens to have a serious kink for S&M, so he signs up for a service where, at any place and time, he can be attacked by a vicious dominatrix who will beat and/or humiliate him. At first, he finds it exhilarating and stimulating, but of course, everything quickly spirals out of control and soon he is fighting for the lives of his family and his own sanity. This is very much like a Takashi Miike movie without all the disgusting stuff, though it does get pretty icky at times. Nao Ohmori brings the same sense of melancholy to the role that he displayed in Ichi the Killer, except here he doesn't disembowel anybody, and it's his performance that really centers the story and gives it a lot more heart than you would expect from a film like this. It's still completely nuts though, rest assured.

Jodorowski's Dune (2013) - I love me some Alejandro Jodorowski - even his weirdest films beat with a great big heart of cosmic love. I would have loved to have seen his Dune, but I suspect even if he had been able to film it, it would have been one of those movies that languished in some aristocrats trunk for 30 years due to ownership disputes or something like that. Still, it's fascinating to hear Jodorowski step through what he had planned, especially that he had every intention of making major changes to the story, both to fit his vision and to make it more visual. It's probably all for the best that he returned to making wholly original biographical films though. If Dune had been a success, Alejandro might have gotten eaten up by the Hollywood machine and we never would have gotten stuff like 'Santa Sangre'. Everything happens for a reason. Sure would have liked to see Orson Welles as Baron Harkonen though...

Grey Alien likes this.
  12. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

"Comic Book Villains" (2002)
    Rival comic book store owners wage war on each other while also trying to get their hands on a massive collection of vintage comics ... whose owner is reluctant to sell.
    If this movie had had a slightly bigger mean streak, "Comic Book Villains" could have been a slacker/nerd culture cult classic ala "Fanboys" or "Clerks." As it is, it's a mildly entertaining heist/caper comedy set in the comic-book world, with a great cast incl. Donal Logue, DJ Qualls, and Natasha Lyonne.

13. BLUESJAZZMAN

Lovely Molly - Nothing amazing but better than the reviews would suggest.

14. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

Speaking of Molly, I caught Molly's Game (2017) last night. It's the engaging and true story of Molly Bloom, an Olympic class skier and how she ran the world's most exclusive poker club for a decade before being arrested by the FBI. The movie bounces between three periods in Molly's life: as a young girl and her issues with her father and her over-achieving siblings; her years building her poker club; and post arrest with her lawyer and dealing with the pending charges laid by the FBI.

I highly recommend this movie. :thumbsup:

power popper, jhm and BLUESJAZZMAN like this.
  15. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Well-Known Member

Gotti - I was hesitant but it was good with a great (unavailable) soundtrack of hits - 70's - 90's.

16. BLUESJAZZMAN

Reservation Road - First time I've seen this - Good film.

17. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Can't stop buying music.

I recently read the book "The Tao of Bill Murray" so I revisited two of his best, in my opinion, performances. These are the last two movies I watched. Lost in Translation and Broken Flowers. Murray is simultaneously hilarious and heartbreaking.

Karnak likes this.
  18. smartiepants

smartiepants Forum Resident

They shall not grow old, the Peter Jackson WW1 film restoration in 3d, stunning, emotional, an incredible cinematic history lesson

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yea when she was hungry...now she's comfortable. : )

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  20. xdawg

xdawg Skating away...........

"Ant-Man and the Wasp"

21. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

22. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

Jurassic World

23. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

24. With music by Pink Floyd. Salvador Dali and HR Giger art direction... Sometimes life isn't fair.

25. Holerbot6000

Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death (1989) - I somehow managed to get through this whole thing. I credit it to strong weed. Shannon Tweed is a feminist anthropologist who takes her hot airhead student and Bill Maher into the jungles east of Santa Monica to find a tribe of gorgeous female cannibals led by Adrienne Barbeau. I'm sure this seemed a lot funnier back in the days when everyone was coked to the gills. Adrienne wears a heavy, formless leather shirt and why are you even going to have her in a movie if you're not going to show her boobs?!? Same with Shannon. Absolutely gorgeous woman who is pretty chaste about showing any skin. She's not a bad actress either but I guess she left it all behind to be Mrs. Gene Simmons. The less said about Bill Maher's performance the better, He was wise to leave acting for political snark. Anyway, it's pretty much a shyte show from start to finish but I suspect there are people out there who probably love it.

Incredibles 2 (2018) - Can't believe I didn't see this in a theater but it's getting harder and harder to make that trek. This one is very dense and I already want to see it again. The action scenes are some of the best I've ever seen in an animated film and the antics of Jack-Jack are, of course, hilarious. It's a worthy sequel and certainly pertinent, though I could have used a little more Mr. Incredible action. It would be fun to see them do one more full throttle adventure with a little less of the domestic angst but these things are so intricate and involved, we were probably lucky to get this one.