The last movie you watched was...?? (take three)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

2. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I took the kid to the Lego movie when it came to town.

3. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

"Rosebud. (Henri, with mustard)"

jerol

4. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. Great film, my favorite of all the LotR films.

5. Kuzronk

Kuzronk Well-Known Member

12 Angry Men
    Pretty boring but it might grow on me in a couple of years.

6. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

DEF-CON 4 - Dull, talky and cheap Canadian post-apocalyptic film from 1985. Saw the video box on the shelf for years
    and finally grabbed a free VHS copy when a local store was unloading their tape stock. Snoozer that was occasionally laughable.

TRANSCENDENCE - Liked it a lot. Smart, thinking Sci-Fi that values ideas over FX.

REAL LIFE - Albert Brooks' first feature from 1979, a spoof on AN AMERICAN FAMILY. Real funny.

7. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I saw that turkey in the theater when it came out.

8. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Man of Steel

I expected to like this one but ended up thinking it was okay, maybe 3/5.

9. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Blue Jasmine. Cate Blanchett is the whole movie. If you're not head over heels in love with her you're not going to like it.

progrocker71 likes this.
  10. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

hang 'em high

Karnak likes this.
  11. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Forrest Gump was just on AMC.

man, that movie was everywhere in the mid-'90s. it's a movie about the '60s and '70's that's from the '90s, and makes me miss the '90s, hah.

thing is, for a '90s flick, there is not a trace of irony to be found. this was smack dab in the era of "Seinfeld," "Larry Sanders" and alt-rock bands on the radio. it's so cloyingly sentimental and predictable that i'm surprised people ate it up as much as they did. it would never get made now. but then, a lot of the digital tricks (the digital manipulation of archival footage, Lt. Dan's amputation, etc) were so brand new at the time, maybe folks just gave the movie a pass on all the goofy sentimentality because they were impressed that "whoa, Forrest just talked to JFK/John Lennon/etc."

do the music cues bother anyone else? they are so predictable that it borders on eye-rolling annoyance. Jenny attempts suicide with her junkie boyfriend nodding off in the background? "Freebird." landing in Vietnam? "Fortunate Son." Forrest goes on his 3-year run? "Running On Empty." oh man, it's just so...bad.

and yet, i watched the whole thing tonight and enjoyed it.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  12. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

Eek! My condolences for time wasted. How far into it did you realize you were in trouble?

13. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

The Book Thief :thumbsup:

14. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Avatar. I haven't seen this since it first came out and I liked it better this time.

15. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

30 for 30 Soccer Stories: HILLSBOROUGH

16. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

Deadfall - with Eric Bana. Cool well scripted action film.

17. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

"1: Life On The Limit" - a Formula 1 documentary. Was very good.

18. j.t.k.

j.t.k. Senior Member

The Wolf of Wall Street. Pretty depraved... that said, I found it pretty entertaining.

19. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

The Way Way Back: was not expecting much, not a fan of Steve Carell but the movie was Fantastic. And Sam Rockwell and Allison Janney were Excellent..
    Check it out if you have not seen or heard of it before.

20. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

In Your Eyes

As a die-hard Whedon fanatic, I tried REALLY hard to love this one, but only just liked it a little. It's just, for all its sins, kinda uninvolving. And too random. I never really cared what happened to these people, the premise was never really explored and the ending was almost pointless. I understand how I know I was supposed to feel about it, but I just didn't. It's primary failing is in how unambitious it is. It's a love story, but I never really understood WHY they fell in love, nor did I understand why the people who stood in their way (her husband and his parole office) were supposed to be the "bad guys." I kinda sympathized with them instead of the couple. That ain't good.

21. Yep. I love her but still hated the movie.

jriems likes this.
  22. Sorcerer. Marvelous blu-ray transfer. Avoid the DVD though as the new one is the old DVD pan and scan that Universal released over a decade ago.

Oh, and I went to see Oculus. Promising beginning but fell apart by the second act. A pity some nice performances.

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

wow that sucks! thanks for the heads up.

24. Why they did this, I'm not sure. and PAN & SCAN? It would have been easy for them to use the same master as for the blu-ray for the DVD.

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

at least! are you going by a review? where did you get this info? sometimes Amazon combines old and new reviews...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.