The last movie you watched was...?? (take three)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well I've seen the blu-ray (which looks superb)and there are a couple of amazon reviews that indicate it's the exact same transfer plus ifyou read the back of the case for the DVD it states it's pan and scanned.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the reviews may be wrong at Amazon...
    check this out:
    http://sorcerer1977.wordpress.com/page/2/

3. Here's the back of the box for the DVD.

If it isn't the same transfer, it sure appears like it is in full screen which doesn't make much sense in this day and age.

Screwy.

Attached Files:

4. Michael

if so right from the horses mouth! that's it! too bad...thanks man...

5. Michael

that is just sickening!

6. Not sure why they wouldn't do this for blu-ray AND DVD unless it has something to do with the licensing agreement. Marc would know more about that stuff than me though maybe he can chime in.

7. Michael

yes, Marc is the answer man when it comes to this stuff. Hopefully he'll see this soon...and shed some light on this confusion.

8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

9. I'm aware of that and had read about it quite some time ago. My question is WHY they didn't do a new a brand new transfer for the DVD (which according to Friedkin he didn't authorize in the first place).

It just doesn't make sense that they wouldn't do a down conversion of the Blu-ray unless, as Friedkin claims, the DVD release wasn't authorized and they just licensed the DVD directly from Universal to have the product out there in both blu and DVD.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorcerer DVD, April 21, 2014
    By
    William Friedkin - See all my reviews
    This review is from: Sorcerer [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
    This is William Friedkin. I did not authorize ANY dvd's. Only the blu ray.
    The DVD is just awful. Avoid.
    Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
    Was this review helpful to you? Yes No
    Report abuse| Permalink
    Comment Comment

Michael likes this.
  10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

That's right. It wasn't authorized, and they don't care. Just get the sucker's money. Not the first time, won't be the last.

wayneklein likes this.
  11. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

The Blob (1988)

12. Michael

The Crawling Eye!

13. Michael

why? because they could care less about DVD...

14. I believe that probably happened was this: Warner made the decision not to release the DVD only blu-ray, Friedkin supervised that. Then they realized, "oh wait, people will want this on DVD" and put it together fairly quickly using the pan and scan without thinking (or some bone headed executive made the decision without thinking it through).

Either way, it SHOULD be available in both formats.

It's just dumb and Warner will end up recalling this once they get enough complaints/returns and it could have been handled so much differently and better.

Michael likes this.
  15. I haven't seen that movie in ages! From what I remember it's a hoot!

Michael likes this.
  16. Michael

yes...pure fun! Forrest Tucker!

17. Michael

now why would they make it easy? there always has to be chaos! I would have liked the movie on DVD as well...oh well.

18. Perhaps enough complaints will force Warner to reissue the title on DVD with the correct and new transfer. I'm sure the fact that they are having returns will help sent that message.

What's disturbing is that they also (obviously on purpose) used the same cover art as the blu-ray packaging which will, sadly, mislead a lot of folks into buying it.

Michael likes this.
  19. Michael

yes, that is pure deception...how dare they! damn...glad I found out before I ordered it. Thanks to this thread I saved some aggravation.

20. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Giant (1956) - latest reissue on the big screen. Rather stodgy with the sentiments laid on with a trowel, but I must say, I enjoyed it.

21. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I had a mostly different reaction, probably because I really liked the main characters and wanted things to work out for them. I think Zoe Kazan is wonderful, she blew me away in Ruby Sparks and I've since caught up with most of her other films, she is always excellent and that is no different here. The central relationship was the primary focus (and personally I think it should have been the only focus) and that part of the film I thought worked just fine. Some of the peripheral stuff seemed like it was added just to make it seem more conventional (especially the completely unnecessary car chase), instead I think it just ended up a distraction. Almost all of those scenes could be edited out and the central story would still work.

Three cheers to Joss for not trying to come up with some hackneyed explanation for the special connection the leads shared, I'm glad the film just accepted that it "is" and didn't go exposition crazy.

All in all an okay little film with some very nice moments, but I would like to have seen Joss direct it himself.

22. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I finally watched The Artist. It was well done, I suppose, but I can't believe it won best picture.

23. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

24. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Gravity. Much better than I thought it'd be. If Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts starred in it it would have sucked. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.