The last movie you watched was...?? (take three)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kuzronk

Kuzronk Well-Known Member

2. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Alien Resurrection. Way in the future no one smokes in space. And Winona Ryder is a robot.

3. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

Last few in reverse order.

Repo Man - Criterion Collection

Rocky Horror Picture Show - same niece below found it more weird than Star Wars that we watched the week before

Star Wars - watched it with my 16 year old who'd never seen any Star Wars movie before and her comment was "whoever made that must've been on drugs". Not having seen this for years I must say that some of it looked rather hokey in places.

The Spy Who Came in From the Cold - Criterion Collection

Twelve Angry Men - Criterion Collection, leading to:

I enjoyed it quite a bit though it did have a couple of slow moments. And I must that I am surprised in looking at your viewing recently. I have a lot of the same films.

4. lowellmorris

lowellmorris Forum Resident

Under the Skin. An incredible film.

5. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

"The Scarlet Empress" (1934), starring Marlene Dietrich as Catherine the Great of Russia. Something of a landmark spectacle for early sound film, but it apparently puzzled critics and audiences and did not do well in revenue. The Criterion DVD unfortunately does not look very good. I have no idea what state whatever elements are in, but it would benefit enormously from a restoration, if that's possible.

6. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

[​IMG]
    Very successful gay artist in New York goes back to Montana hometown to care for the ailing grandad who raised him. Unrealistic in that this is one very tolerant Montana town where gay folk kiss on the street and the guys who hang around the general store are all to happy to play matchmaker for the lonely gay guys. But it's sweet, touching and beautifully acted with Arye Gross especially winning as the lovelorn artist. This is the third time I've seen it and it never ceases to charm.

7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

LOST HIGHWAY

8. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Particle Fever - Just opened in indie theaters. A nice mainstream documentary about the Large Hadron Collider. Not too much theory as to make it boring.

9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Behind the Candleabra

10. Kuzronk

Shallow Grave

It's clear why she found it weird. Star Wars is badly outdated in some scenes but it's not b-movie tier like rocky horror.

11. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

My teenage son complained about "old" movies being boring so we rented original Robocop I and II, Dirty Harry Magnum Force and Sudden Impact. That was probably not a good idea. On the other hand I turned him on to the Beatles!

12. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

John dies at the end!

I think I need to watch it again to make sense of it.

13. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I watched Rocky Horror for the first time about a year ago. Man that is not a well paced musical. Talk about running out of steam after 30 minutes...

14. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

VERONICA MARS - Never watched the show, but that didn't hurt my enjoyment of the film. Felt like a long TV episode, but
    that's to be expected considering this is a feature film follow-up to a weekly series. Makes me want to check out the show now.

THE ART OF THE STEAL - Kurt Russell and Matt Dillon star as half-brothers in an art thievery/forgery ring. Funny, good
    heist and switcheroo scenes. One of those straight-to-video flicks that's just about as good as a lot of what gets a theatrical
    push.

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 - Liked this one a lot, after really not liking the previous film. This one is much lighter,
    better/more watchable action, funny, and drops the "let's push Spider-man through the Dark Knight filter" of the previous
    one. Great looking FX, and the 3D wasn't bad.

HEAVEN IS FOR REAL - Not as sappy as I expected, though there were a few moments that came off as kinda silly. Overall
    a heartfelt story of folks dealing with hardships and trying to make sense of something unusual. Nicely shot, with some lovely
    sweeping vistas of Nebraska farmland.

THE OTHER WOMAN - Dull, overlong, and not too funny to me. A pre-menopausal version of FIRST WIVES CLUB, Leslie
    Mann is annoying and too dumb a character to feel much connection with. To be completely shallow, the only time my attention
    was held was when Kate Upton was running along the beach.

THE PARK IS MINE - 1986 made-for-cable movie with Tommy Lee Jones as a disgruntled Vietnam vet who takes control of
    Central Park in NYC with an arsenal of guns and explosives to make a statement. Kind of a whole lot of nothin' goin' on after
    the setup, unfortunately.

15. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

The Damn United - surprised by the film about "soccer", though it's more about Brian Clough than football. The movie Rush brings a direct comparison to TDU, in my book, was much better.

16. Kuzronk

What happened?
    I heard it's more funner with people around but I hate what the movie did to transgenders.

The Wolf of Wall Street

17. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

18. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

Yojimbo, which I still like a lot but I had the same feeling of diminishing returns as I did with For a Few Dollars More recently, which leads me to think that I may be kinda over "smart-aleck badass hero" movies. Not that both films are not brilliant, just less to my taste than some of Kurosawa and Leone's other works respectively.

19. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

They are pretty violent movies. I enjoyed them in my days but watching them now as a father it is a different feeling.

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Bats...an 0ldie.

21. Michael

not nearly as violent as the video games people play today...

22. Kuzronk

All of those movies you listed seemed to be R in the US. What did he think of the films and did you like them back then for being violent?

The Lion King

23. Michael

after revisiting The Avengers I just had to watch Iron Man 3 again...

24. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

25. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

STAGE FRIGHT - New Canadian horror/comedy/musical set in a performing arts summer camp. Really
    liked it. Very funny with good performances, but also nails 80s slasher tropes fairly seriously at times. Still
    can't get the opening musical number from the campers out of my head...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.