The last new music you heard that left you stunned?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Minstrel Boy, Apr 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

Haven't heard much from 2017 yet for multiple reasons, but in 2016 these dropped the jaw:
    Melanie De Biasio, Blackened Cities (a 24-minute single-track suite recorded live in studio)
    Esperanza Spalding, Emily D+Evolution (especially "Good Lava")

2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

CHVRCHES.
    Great music... and I love Lauren!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  3. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Yea, concur with The Blackened Cities, that left a lot of us around here stunned, pretty amazing. I didn't get that much from Esperanza Spalding, but I know that's the minority view, she got a lot of love.

PanaPlasma and strummer101 like this.
  4. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

About two years ago, I watched a Korean comedy movie, "Miss Granny" (a better title and translation would have been "Mysterious Girl"). In it, an old woman magically becomes young again. In her youthful incarnation, she indulges her love of old songs. She performed a few, the first being "Raindrop". I, like the onscreen audience, watched mesmerized.

Beatleboy1968, Hurakan, Tippy and 2 others like this.
  5. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

The album rewards with repeated listens. It's not one of her very best, but I think it's solid and has at least 6 excellent tracks, including this one.

6. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

James Blake - Forest Fire

rob68 likes this.
  7. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

8. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

This was a while ago, but I LOVE this Augustana song, and below is a link to the original version. It was my introduction to this band. :)

Augustana - Boston(original)

Tippy likes this.
  9. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

i guess the final Silver Jews album from about 2008....i just heard it a few weeks ago and I just love it...I didn't expect to like it even though I like American Water..

keyse1 likes this.
  10. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

Stunned was the word, I had gotten it right the first time buddy.

Nostaljack likes this.
  11. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Motorbaby and The Coming of Age.

12. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

The Aristocrats Tres Caballeros. Marco Minneman blows my mind, I love that mad German! Peace

oneway23 likes this.
  13. Road Ratt

Road Ratt Senior Member

Hurakan likes this.
  14. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

American Water is a stunning album, that's for sure, and a few of us around here will attest to that, one of my all time favorites. Lookout Mountain, Lookout Sea, not as much, but still very good. Be nice to hear something new from Berman. He did that song with the Avalanches, but I think that's about it.

15. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Ty I gotta check out some more. And to think someone tried to convince me that the progressive movement died in 75. tsk tsk spreading such lies. Lol. Peace, Iam

16. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I guess I am stunned that a band which was a creation of television producers and had its last real hit fifty years ago, came out with a new album, and a handful of fans aggressively insist that it's the greatest music in decades.

pig bodine and Andrew J like this.
  17. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

i am being stunned quite often every time I browse Bandcamp for Fusion music....

My last is this unrehearsed live performance.

[​IMG]

18. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

There's a LOT more of out there and they WERE and ARE a real band. Typical response from the ignorant I presume but you just keep staying in the dark there bud.

Nostaljack likes this.
  19. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Easy answer: Kendrick Lamar's new album.

rockinlazys and Gaslight like this.
  20. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

As with other posters, I think the word stunned is rather strong. The two fairly recent groups that caught my attention when I first heard them are Melt Banana the Japanese so called grindcore band with a female vocalist. They have been around for years but I just recently heard their album Fetch (2013) and got it on vinyl. It is like a metal band played at 45rpm and somehow it works.

The other was Uta Plotkin the recently departed vocalist on 3 albums for the doom stoner band Witch Mountain. She departed for other careers not from the mortal coil. I am very much interested in singing voices and Uta really has an exceptional one.

Melt Banana - Fetch
    [​IMG]

zeram1 likes this.
  21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Wish I could name one from recently. Nothing like discovering a song that just knocks your socks off, though I did just buy Ed Shearon's new album. I didn't know who he was but kept hearing great things about him here so I took a chance. There are a couple songs that come awfully close, but as a whole it's a wonderful album that has a lot of interrsting things to say. I usually don't pay much attention to lyrics but you can't help it with him.

22. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Thanks for posting... completely intoxicating.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  23. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

More intoxication...

Gaslight and Andrew J like this.
  24. I'm nobody's idea of a Monkees fan and just might take a swing at you if you accused me of being one, but I was somewhat stunned by that album - not because it was revelatory in its awesomeness or anything, but because it was a pretty strong album put out by the Monkees in friggin' 2016.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    Nostaljack likes this.
  25. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

Redbone by Childish Gambino and then as a result, the album Awaken, My Love

Gaslight and rob68 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.