The Last Ship (TNT series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Just watched the second episode tonight. It was okay - not as good as the first IMO. But still decent.

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

“One thing hasn’t changed. America doesn’t negotiate with terrorists.”

LOL! Hokey and ill timed. :rolleyes:

rockclassics likes this.
  3. kippy

kippy Forum Resident

It seemed like a Navy commercial. 10 Russians with machine guns can't hit anything. Attractive scientist (of course). Watching the weapons fire on the ship was pretty cool. Unfortunately, since it is a Navy commercial, we will not see discipline break down on the ship or the crew getting mangy looking. My grade :C+

4. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

So that means it will get cancelled after one season ? ;-)

Anyways I am going to check it out, sounds interesting ...... and regarding "battleships" and such, can I please have a series that is in the spirit of that 80s (?) movie "Final Countdown" with Kirk Douglas about a modern US aircraft carrier being time travelled into WWII pacific confrontation with the Japanese http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Final_Countdown_(film) .... the movie was not too good, but I would love to see what a TV show could do with such a premise ..... or transport them back to the feudal middle ages and try to get their military high tech stuff going .....

Gumboo likes this.
  5. Scott222C

Oh my, that doesn't sound promising at all .....................

6. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I generally like this type of programming, but this one isn't for me.

7. rockclassics

The previews for next week look like this show could get real silly. A Russian battleship is approaching and the US ship is going to fight them off while docked at Guantanamo? Yeah right.....

8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

It's just getting too silly; the guards had let the prisoners go rather than execute them, the US ship doesn't have a way to confirm the other ship is British, surely they have joint NATO codes, an unidentified ship is approaching and they don't launch their helicopter to confirm it's identity, the threat is a virus yet they happily take things from the hospital without decontaminating them, likewise the cruise ship last week, surely viruses can live on surfaces, the sat phone as already mentioned, etc., etc.

9. Ok a bit into episode 2. Better than I expected but why the hell would you do target practice on the ship wasting bullets when you have all that's left ? Stupid

I'd also dump the couple in love.

10. Mangy looking...not really likely but discipline breaking down? A possibility.

11. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I just can't force myself to watch any TV series, I'll take a peek when my wife has stuff on, I did look at this and it looked reasonably good for sure, but I've never been one to "follow" a show on TV no matter what. Especially if it requires regular viewing to keep up on things.

From the little I saw of this I'd rather just see a movie of the storyline compressed and be done with it.

12. Yup and there are SO many better tv series than this one. So far it's a mindless journey if nothing else is on.

Just waiting to see how long it will take until the former vampire save the world babe boffs the captain.

13. Scott222C

Watched episode one today, what a totally stupid show, this should be a sure fire hit. Battlestar Galactica this ain't.

14. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

The premise sounded to me like 'On the Beach.' I decided to try the novel it is based on. It is written in an archaic style, almost 19th century, prolix, but Melville it ain't. I'm at the point where I don't force myself to read bad writing; there's too much else to read that's worthwhile. I figured that the tv show, to be greenlighted, would have to trim down the interior monologue and ramp up the action. I haven't bothered checking out the show, and it sounds like I'm not missing much.

15. I guess your **** is my shinola.

Vidiot likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Steve Martin thought so, too.

wayneklein likes this.
  17. Scott222C

No problem, enjoy it and keep us posted on how this series works out for you ......

18. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Okay diversion, not great but mildly entertaining

19. Scott222C

I could tolerate "Helix" for a season, but this is too much for me ..... please no more "looking-for-the-cure" TV series with those oh-so-tough women scientists pitted against oh-so-good-looking-male-leads playing out the same-ol "moral dilemmas", if "apocalyptic-post-civilisation-settings really need to be played out, let's just fight zombies, it is more fun and rewarding. At least most of the time.

20. joefont

joefont Senior Member

For me, this one's like "Lost".....the first episode was interesting, after that.....bleh!

robertawillisjr likes this.
  21. rockclassics

As of tonight's episode, I'm done with this one. What a bunch of hokey crap filled episode this one was. Three parachutes are able to pull the ship forward? Give me a f***in' break. I could go on with all the other holes, but it is not worth my time.

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

This is still on my watch list (haven't seen ep4 yet). I find it entertaining enough despite the clichés and some dumb moments. I think the show is trying to be above average at heart, but I guess we'll see how it develops. I guess the other element which holds my interest is Rhona Mitra, for whom I've always had a soft spot. :)

wayneklein likes this.
  23. rockclassics

This week's episode is full of stupid ****. It was bordering on comical IMO.

24. Just watched the most recent episode. I gave it a chance. This show is terrible. Oy vey. That's Hollywood speak.

25. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Ep4 was easily the worst episode so far, mainly because they tried to shoehorn in 'emotional' relationshippy stuff which was not only executed poorly, but really doesn't belong here. I'd much rather learn about the characters as they reveal themselves to be through shipboard actions than have frequent 'happy families' flashbacks to flesh them out. The shipboard story was much more interesting. Still sticking with it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.