The Last TV Show You Watched Was... (Part 1)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Road Ratt

Road Ratt Forum Resident

Monday Night Football (Broncos vs. Chiefs)

2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Member Of The Midnight Society

The Talk.

3. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Maude (Second Season, '73). Florida's Affair.
    My girl, Esther Rolle, started her Good Times characer, Florida, on Bea Arthur's sitcom. John Amos (still living) makes an appearance, too. He played Rolle's husband on GT as James. They called him Henry on this show. Incidentally, Amos was a running back for the KC Chiefs before he got into acting. Decent episode, though they overdo the Black thing. And Ron Glass is almost embarrassing as the technician who flirts with Florida and is almost laid out by Amos. Liked him better on Barney Miller.

Jimmy B. and Holy Diver like this.
  4. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Resident

This week's find is a doozy.

If you are a fan of "true crime" shows like Making A Murderer or The Jinx, listen up. I just binge-watched an incredible satire on that genre called "American Vandal", on Netflix. It's an amazingly detailed account of an act of vandalism at a school that a student decides to make a documentary about, and it's simultaneously hilarious and poignant at the same time. It starts out with an absurd conceit-a student has spray painted penises on several teacher's cars, and the school f-up is conveniently blamed for the crime. The hilarious part is how seriously the "doc" takes this crime (as if it were on the same level as a murder), and I'm sure there are drinking games that have been designed for every mention of the word "dicks". It's said so frequently by everyone, in such a casual way, that it begins to lose any meaning, or for that matter, shock value.

The poignant part is how this "crime" affects so many people, particularly the accused wastoid Dylan Maxwell (played with vacuous gusto by Jimmy Tatro). The detail with which the vandalism is examined, and motives divulged exceeds any true crime show I've ever seen, which again, is amazing because we're talking dicks here. Every time an episode ended, it left you with a tantalizing bit of info that you needed to have resolved immediately (thus the bingeing). It is also probably the most realistic look at the social life of today's teens that I've seen (and I've seen Riverdale! So that tells you where my head is at). The ending is not what you expect.

So if you have an interest in the place of graffiti phalluses in today's world, and love to see the very serious world of the true crime documentary turned on it's head (so to speak), you need to check out American Vandal. 30 minute episodes are very easy to digest, and you'll wonder where the day went. And you'll truly want to know #whodrewthedicks.

ando here likes this.
  5. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

The Prisoner : The Complete Series

Jimmy B. and Holy Diver like this.
  6. Breaking Bad (s5 ep8)

Splungeworthy and Jimmy B. like this.
  7. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Vintage Flip"

8. Mylene

Mylene Forum Resident

Borsch (season three) (Amazon)

This show expects the viewers to have total recall. A character from the first season will turn up for two minutes (with characters I've never seen before) and disappear. The murder in episode one has been eclipsed with the trial of a guy arrested in season two. The acting chief of police just wanders around and makes random comments in scenes that seem to be part of a political drama that's only been hinted at. Last season's finale collapsed in a heap and this year's is heading the same way. I look forward to being surprised.

9. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

The Munsters.

10. Standoffish

Standoffish Forum Resident

"Gliding Over All". One of Breaking Bad's best episodes. And it leads into another great one...

Splungeworthy likes this.
  11. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

More Maud (Season Two). LOUD. I guess you have to go back to The Honeymooners (or maybe The Flintstones) to find the start of the decibel busting sitcom. By the time it devolved to the Norman Lear joint it was literally giving orders: If you don't get off that couch and buy this f@#&!ng toothpaste I'm gonna come ova theya and shuv it down ya throat!

Who needs NFL Sunday?

12. longdist01

Alfred Hitchcock Presents - Season Two

Jimmy B. likes this.
  13. Ozark EP 2, gonna watch another soon..

14. Splungeworthy

I think you're getting this confused with the show about a cop who tells corny Jewish jokes at a resort in the Catskills :righton:
    I know you meant Bosch, which in my opinion is one of the best cop shows on TV. It is a demanding show. Stick with it.

dmiller458 likes this.
  15. Mylene

Mylene Forum Resident

I blame spellcheck ;)

16. Splungeworthy

Mindhunter, on Netflix. This is a fascinating show about the development of profiling serial killers by the FBI in the late seventies. It was developed by David Fincher, who also directs the opening episode. I'm about 4 eps in, and there's very little action-it's a cerebral look into the minds of depraved (really depraved) killers, and how an idealistic FBI agent is trying to change the way law enforcement deals with these seemingly motiveless crimes. For no other reason you need to see the portrayal of real life serial killer Ed Kemper by Cameron Britton-it will chill you to the bone. The show starts out a little slow, but hits it's stride very quickly in the succeeding episodes. It's quite graphic (in many ways), but very highly recommended.

dmiller458 likes this.
  17. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    24: Season 1
    (2001-2002)
    I never got through episode 1 of this series. Just discovered that it had its Fox tv premier today in 2001. Watching it again tonight I still find much of its style alternatingly novel and cumbersome. The soundtrack is, unfortunately, typical for this kind of "intelligence drama". Hoping it all streamlines by the series finale.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  18. mBen989

mBen989 Forum Resident

Drawn Together

[​IMG]

I bought the new complete series (plus the direct to DVD movie) set the last time I was at Walmart.

19. Mowgli

Mowgli Well-Known Member

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Walking Dead...

21. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

King Of The Hill - Shins Of The Father!

Gonna watch more King of the Hill now, I think. Been too long. (I have the first three seasons on DVD; didn't follow the show to the end of it, not nearly)

22. longdist01

Washington The Warrior (DVD)

23. Splungeworthy

This show was so wonderfully bonkers.

mBen989 likes this.
  24. Splungeworthy

Eastbound and Down. Danny McBride can apparently do no wrong.

Gavinyl likes this.
  25. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Travelers