The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson...Craig leaving Show*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MRamble, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thought it'd be good to carve out a separate discussion about the future of this show instead of merging it with the Letterman/Colbert one....

[​IMG]
    http://www.tmz.com/2014/04/15/chelsea-handler-cbs-talk-show/

New pic up on Chelsea's Instagram She labels it as a CBS "business meeting." I am 100% for a woman to join the late night realm but Chelsea Handler? All she is is cheap shots, very low-brow humor and just generally not very likable IMHO. What a terrible way to honor the show after greats like Snyder and Ferguson.

I hope they go with a woman but I'd hope they can get someone else. Problem is what other name can we throw into the hat?

2. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Bonnie Hunt for sure - Tom Snyder actually wanted her to take over when he retired!

billdcat and kevywevy like this.
  3. MRamble

I would love to see Bonnie Hunt in there. It's clear that when she filled in for Dave on The Late Show (when he had the shingles) she was a natural and that most likely led to her short-lived run daytime talk show. Problem is the show would have done better had it been in late night. Bonnie is great although I'm wondering how well-known she is these days? If Handler is actually in the running (sigh) they'd need another name that's just as big. Hunt definitely has the talent but I don't think she has the buzz?

billdcat likes this.
  4. AKA

AKA Senior Member

According to CBS, the meeting was with their syndication division, so what she's being considered for is either a daytime or syndicated late night talk show (a la Arsenio Hall), not the 12:30 network show.

MRamble likes this.
  5. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Is Ferguson really gone? What is the purpose? Letterman is not folding his production company.

6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Ferguson lost consistently in the ratings to Fallon. I imagine they hoped his ratings might improve against Meyers, but so far that has not happened. I'm guessing there is discussion that when Letterman goes it would be a good time to also try someone different in Ferguson's time slot and see if they could do better. Also, Ferguson may be thinking about leaving himself... he doesn't seem to be the type of guy who would be content just doing a talk show for the rest of his career, like most of the other guys are.

7. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Ratings and ad revenue.

8. MRamble

Phew...I'm breathing a sigh of relief. Let's hope she stays far, far away from late night TV.

There are some unofficial stories floating online that Ferguson may not have a job next year when his contract supposedly ends with CBS. So it looks as if CBS is interested in really shaking things up with a one-two punch of their own similar to NBC's Fallon/Meyers lineup. I'm still rooting that they go with a woman...that would be a very nice addition to the late night team.

9. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

If Ferguson goes then I will no longer need to watch any late night TV. Which is okay really, I watch too much TV as it is.

10. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Instagramming a photo of the CBS logo with a caption about a business meeting is the sort of thing you do when you want to look like you're in the running for a show on CBS. It's not what you do when you're actually in the running for a show on CBS.

Simon A likes this.
  11. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Still...you've got to give her points for being able to read upside down.

12. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

They would be making a mistake by getting rid of Ferguson, IMO. His ratings might be low, but at least he has a consistent audience. It's better to have 100% of a small pie than 1% of the big one.

13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Not if 1% of the big pie equals more viewers in the 18-49 demographic than 100% of the small pie.

I think Ferguson is great, but his appeal is probably limited, and there probably is somebody who could do better in that time slot. Replacing someone who is coming in second in a field of two is hardly unprecedented. I suspect part of the reason he's been kept around this long is that his show is produced by Dave. Now that Dave is leaving, that's no longer a factor.

14. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

I'd choose Joan Rivers over Chelsea. And I don't care for Joan Rivers at all. Come to think of it their shticks are kind of similar.

tkl7 likes this.
  15. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

If CBS wants to hire a woman, it should be Wanda Sykes.

junk likes this.
  16. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Craig got a call from Chelsea on his show tonight - asked him something about the dimension's of his curtains. Cheeky cow!

OldSoul and MRamble like this.
  17. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

It's comedy - rough comedy but comedy nonetheless. I think that comes with the territory. A little classless if it wasn't set up but still in the vein of a Don Rickles bit. If Rickles had done it everyone would laugh no problem.

Also this could all be managed by the two comedians. Nothing like a feud or celebrity tussle to keep viewers watching.

If it really is Ferguson's last months I'm going to tune back in. He will let go of any restraints and just chuck whatever is in his head at the camera. That will make for some great tv. One of my favourite moments of his was a quieter piece that occurred when Brittany Spears was going nuts. I had just seen him doing standup on a Saturday night and he told people to tune in on Monday. On his show he stopped the funny long enough to talk of how the media and comedians specifically should step away from making fun of this woman in serious trouble with addiction. He was funny, self deprecating and smart. Great tv. His line about waking up with someone's pee on him and tying it to an attempted suicide was so smart and hilarious and pointed. Great tv.

I also watched him attempt hilariously to prop up nervous and quiet guests. I think he's a really smart comedian with a nasty Scottish punk streak which I recognise from my own background. He could throw it all away in a moment and he would be fine with that seems to be his attitude. I love it. I thought he would continue to be that comedian but after awhile I found him to just do shtick and try to outfunny the person next to him. I tuned out but if he's really done now I will hang out with him to see what happens.

MRamble likes this.
  18. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Big fan of Craig's show here. Hope he sticks around.

19. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Chelsea...meh. Craig will stay or do better things.

billdcat likes this.
  20. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Why is Chelsea Handler famous?

905, Bender Rodriguez and MRamble like this.
  21. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

She has a rare condition which makes one look 15 years older than their actual age.

This rare condition is called "alcoholism".

Torontotom, Ghostworld, tkl7 and 2 others like this.
  22. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Here's another vote for Bonnie Hunt, but she has almost zero buzz right now, and it's highly unlikely she'll get that job, even if she is a close Letterman friend. I will say, however, that I'd rather watch a test pattern than Chelsea Handler. I think I'd even watch Chelsea Clinton over Handler. Let's think out of the box for a minute-if it has to be a woman, here's some other suggestions:
    Melissa McCarthy
    Maya Rudolph
    Katie Couric (yeah I said it)
    Sarah Silverman
    Aisha Tyler
    ...or just keep Craig.

billdcat likes this.
  23. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

Remember,when CBS lured Letterman originally,part of the deal was that Worldwide Pants(Lettermans' production company)would have control of the time slot after Letterman.
    So, Tom Snyder had it originally,then Kilborn,then Ferguson. Ferguson is Lettermans' guy,not CBSs'. His deal is up and Letterman is leaving.

24. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Amen, I thought she was in her late 40s, until I looked her up on wikipedia, I'm actually older than her.

25. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Prediction: Once Dave leaves, Craig will too. Mark my words.

Evan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.