The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson...Craig leaving Show*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MRamble, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

I left CBS on after Letterman (gonna really miss Craig) and honestly thought during the intro
    that "The Talk" was an elaborate prank. I wish it had been.......

footlooseman likes this.
  2. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I had exactly the same initial thought!

3. cathandler

cathandler Hyperactive!

4. cathandler

cathandler Hyperactive!

5. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Comedy of the absurd. Great stuff - thanks for the link. This was my favourite time to watch Craig Ferguson.

6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I don't understand - can you explain?

7. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

My all-time favorite CF bit.

8. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

You guys are aware that the President and CEO of CBS TV is Leslie Moonves and that his wife is Julie Chen, the lead host of "The Talk", need I say anything more?

9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Which explains why Julie often was a guest on Craig's show

10. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I'm personally not a fan of Julie or her show, as she and the show remind me of "Entertainment Tonight", which is a dreadful show and terribly "Hollywood fake", at it's "Paramount" worst, in my opinion! March can't come soon enough for late, late talk shows!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  11. cathandler

cathandler Hyperactive!

12. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

There are rumors that Ferguson had a clause in his contract which stipulated that he would get a large payout from CBS if he was not offered the job as Letterman's replacement. This has never been confirmed by Ferguson or any official source on the record, so it may or may not be true. The amount of the payout has been reported to be anywhere from 5 to 12 million.

13. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

This was discusssed way up thread. Purportedly Ferguson was to get The Late Show when Letterman retired or left. If he didn't get the job, the word was that he would get $20M.

14. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

To the best of my knowledge, this has never been verified by Ferguson or any named source from CBS speaking on the record, which is why I characterize it as a rumor. It could be true, but unnamed sources quoted in the NY Post and Daily News should be viewed with at least some degree of skepticism. And all the online sources I can find peg the amount as ranging from 5 to 12 million, not 20.

15. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

I'm pretty sure Ferguson joked about it slyly in one of the last episodes. Something about CBS paying for his retirement.

16. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

It was discussed months ago in this thread. I'm not going to search for it, but I remember reading it on a news site a long time ago. It's not news now.

17. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

He never acted like someone who wanted the Letterman slot, whether or not his manager negotiated it on his behalf.

18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yeah, I wasn't saying that it was news (the link I posted upthread about it comes from last April). I was just saying that it's an unconfirmed rumor, and (based on the reports at the time) the amount was 5 to 12 million, not 20.

19. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I enjoyed the shows that Regis did this week. No audience and just a table and talk. I would tune in nightly for a show like that.

MikaelaArsenault and junk like this.
  20. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Considering how similar the format was to Charlie Rose's PBS show, I thought it was quite ironic that one of his guests was Charlie Rose!

I really enjoyed seeing Dave Letterman and Paul Shaffer, too, although there were some definite lulls in the interview.

MikaelaArsenault, ssmith3046 and junk like this.
  21. junk

junk Hellion

Me too.

22. junk

junk Hellion

Same here.

23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Letterman not exactly giving James Corden(full time Craig replacement) a ringing endorsment

MikaelaArsenault, amoergosum and junk like this.
  24. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

...and he continued on about this on his own show last night, basically apologizing, in a very Letterman-esque way.

junk likes this.
  25. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I agree. People already thought Conan was a stretch for the Tonight Show gig, there's no way Craig's brand of humor was going to fly in the 11:35 time slot.

junk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.