"The Late Show with Stephen Colbert" thread.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jun 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I can't stand Colbert, so I'll never watch this show just for him. Instead, there will have to be a guest I'm interested in to tune in. Since Ringo and Paul are getting up there in years, and so many older great actors are gone, that's not very many shows. ;)

2. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Craig is doing some game show

Anyway I was not at all impressed with his replacement and have not watched a Late Late Show since the debut. He seems a likeable guy but not at all funny. You need to keep some basics - such as guests to your right and one at a time.

The new Late Show is a different story - being a huge Dave fan I wasn't sure what to expect but I really enjoyed the first show and will be a regular viewer. Love the set and the overall feel & Colbert makes for a very funny and engaging host. His interviews with George and Jeb were excellent and very entertaining. I'm hoping he gets more of Dave's regulars like Regis , Bruce etc

Big thumbs up for Colbert!

goodiesguy and boyjohn like this.
  3. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I also thought Les Moonves and "The Mentalist" switch was clever. Maybe that was a subtle acknowledgment that it was a mistake not to do best of Dave shows all summer long.

MRamble and rburly like this.
  4. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I thought he wasn't going to do a monologue?

Actually I am hoping for something like the Dick Cavett days. The interviews were kind of boring to me. And yeah it was a bit loud and overbearing for "late night". Having said that I am enough of a Colbert fan, and he is talented enough, that I will give him some time to settle into it.

5. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

6. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Reviewing the first episode of a show that will air 200 times a year is almost a pointless exercise. There are too many "first night" things that HAVE to be done (nod to previous host, show off the studio a bit, introduce the band, etc.) for it to feel like a "regular" episode. Stephen seemed a little hyper -- understandable after 9 months off the air -- and the episode itself felt heavily edited. (And it WAS -- the NY Times confirmed that the taping was 2 hours long.) I was actually never a big fan of The Colbert Report, but I like Stephen Colbert the PERSON -- and what we saw last night wasn't surprising. Those who were fretting about "Who is the REAL Colbert" must not have watched his show very much; I think we've been seeing more and more of the "real" Stephen leak through the character in recent years. So it shouldn't be a shock that he's earnest, funny, smart with a love of silliness, and that he seems like a truly decent, grounded guy. It will take some time for his new show to settle into a groove, but I think they're off to a good start.

7. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

I've never watched Stephen Colbert before. I watched a few minutes of it and turned it off right before Clooney came on.

8. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I suffered through him once on The Colbert Report, just because McCartney was his guest.

black sheriff likes this.
  9. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

I need to give the show more of a chance than the 15 minutes that I watched.

10. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I thought it was okay, but nothing earth shattering. The interviews both seemed scripted to me. I give it a B-.

11. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

I found it painful having to sit through McCartney on an otherwise fine Colbert ep.

Dan C, Billy Infinity, RogerB and 5 others like this.
  12. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Sorry to hear that.

13. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Has the Ed Sullivan Theater always had that huge dome over the audience? He said something about digital projection but I wasn't sure if he just meant the images on the ceiling or if the entire thing was some kind of special effect.

14. philly67

philly67 Forum Resident

from the way i took it, it's just a digital image projected on the flat ceiling. I'd hate to see the NYC code requirements to bump up into the second and third floors to build a dome...now THAT would wreck CBS's budget for sure!

15. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

I chuckled slightly during his monologue. The Clooney segment I found to be negligible but I really liked the Jeb Bush interview, too bad it wasn't longer. The musical performance at the end was pretty good. It was decent, nothing groundbreaking, but nothing has been groundbreaking for years.

16. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

I imagine a frequent replacement guest will be Amy Sedaris, just like Dave was having it.

poidog likes this.
  17. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I believe the dome was always there, but it was obscured by ducts / wiring / whatever in the 1993 renovations. It's been mentioned a few times how the Sullivan Theater has been restored to its original architecture for Colbert, and how the more modern technology they are using takes up less space and allows the details of the building to be better seen.

goodiesguy and OldSoul like this.
  18. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Amy is always entertaining

I'm waiting for Dave to do a guest appearance

MRamble likes this.
  19. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I found the debut a real letdown. After months of preparation this is what they came up with? IMO, it lacked the old Colbert edge for 95% of it. Will give it the rest of the week, then tune out for a couple of months. :cry:

vince likes this.
  20. Stan

Stan Forum Resident

21. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Watched him twice - for McCartney and Rush. NOT my cup of tea.

22. philly67

philly67 Forum Resident

WOW! I had no idea!! Went there when Dave ran the joint about 10 years ago and...wow, NYC, once again, you surprise me. I failed to consider the way theaters used to be built.

Amazing how you never can tell what is on the inside from the out. My favorite instance is going to a Tom Waits show in Akron years ago and pulling up and seeing this:

[​IMG]

and hardening my heart for a funky creaky seat experience and sections tarped off, only to walk in the place and:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

have my jaw hit the bottom of this palace floor. They sure don't build them like they used to, heck, it's hard to
    believe they ever built them at all. Akron Civic Theater, the pictures don't come close to doing it justice! The ceiling even has little lights that twinkle like stars in the dark.

23. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Like it or not, "lacked the old Leno edge for 95% of it" turned into a 20 year career as the king of late night.

No one since Johnny Carson has ever done 11:35 as the same person they were that got them there.

philly67 likes this.
  24. teag

teag Forum Resident

Looks to me like he found a currently popular issue to avoid having the focus be on him and his comedic performance. Great that he is in the togetherness camp but not sure that's what people want to watch for "entertainment".

25. philly67

philly67 Forum Resident

People are watching Fallon do beer pong and Pictionary, so....

zebop, teag and Sean like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.